Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

30-06 and grizzly

Old 03-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 30-06 and grizzly

Dont wast your bullets shooting at a bear runing at you. the best is to hold your hand gun right by your head,when the bear gos to bite your head you shoot it in the roof of the mouth.

OMG do you have any idea just how ridiculus that above statement, why dont you just box his ears and be done with it. LMAO, are you actually advocating letting the bear get within bitting distance before shooting at it?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

buckshot
Think what you would like. VERY few people have the compousure to hit a target[the size a softball] run at them TO KILL THEM.Most people wast they bulets.If you want to shoot at a bear runing at you,you should use a shot gun.At least you may blind him befor you die :} If the bear is 50 yards away you sould not be shooting at it anyway.

If you use pepper spray and it has failed DONT stick your arm out and try to shoot A CLOSE BEAR. He will smack the gun right out of any mans hands. It is best to hold the gun close to your body and shoot only when you think they are for sure hits.

Most people tell you to play dead! I say it is a hole lot better to keep your cool hold the gun close to your body. Whait till you have a very good shot at VERY VERY close range. The top of the mouth is a gerantyed kill. 6 shots of the side of the head just gives him a migrain.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

If the bear is 50 yards away you sould not be shooting at it anyway.
I realize that, but 10 yards isnt, once a bear passes 10 yards, its go time, I am not about to let a bear have body contact with me before I start shooting, after all it only takes one smack with a paw and your head could be rolling down the mountain.

6 shots of the side of the head just gives him a migrain.
One shot to the side of the head from my 44 mag and any bear would be dead. I wouldnt have to worry about having to wrestle the darn thing.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Buckshot,
my thoughts are the same!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Banned

Shooting him in the roof of the mouth should work fine BUT, I want to be sure it works. How many charges have you stopped by using this method?? How do you get him to stop ripping you to pieces long enough put the gun into his mouth? He would think I was going to stick it straight out and slap the gun out of my hand and then I would have to kick his butt the hard way.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

He would think I was going to stick it straight out and slap the gun out of my hand and then I would have to kick his butt the hard way.
Snooky, Ive heard big bears are a sucker for the "oh look an eagle" distraction, that way you can kick them in the jewels when they are looking away, oh and watch for the martial arts, seems the bears were starting to have some problems overwhelming people due to the on going craze of the UFC, so they enlisted in some karate training. And if that doesnt work, make sure you stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before. See link for the details of defending yourself.

Bear whoop assss
Old 03-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

I am sure you guys have looked at a skull of a bear.From a strate on shot you will be very lucky to even crack the skull. If you have not looked at skulls you need to.

I am allso sure every one can draw and shoot in 2 secs right. any less than 20 yards that is about what you have time for.

The way I see it 1 perfict shot is way better than many more that are not.

I know every one out there kills the deer that runs right at you or the yote that runs over your lap.How many deer have been totaly missed becouse thay ran right at a guy. he shoots 2 to 4 times with no blood.Then he says I was all in a up roor I CANT BELEAVE I MISSED HIM. You miss the bear you dont get a 2nd chance.

If you are around the bears enough you will see where they bite 1st. [The head] It is not like tv where they wack you around befor they get on you and bite the top of your head off.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

I am sure you guys have looked at a skull of a bear.From a strate on shot you will be very lucky to even crack the skull. If you have not looked at skulls you need to.

I am allso sure every one can draw and shoot in 2 secs right. any less than 20 yards that is about what you have time for.

The way I see it 1 perfict shot is way better than many more that are not.

I know every one out there kills the deer that runs right at you or the yote that runs over your lap.How many deer have been totaly missed becouse thay ran right at a guy. he shoots 2 to 4 times with no blood.Then he says I was all in a up roor I CANT BELEAVE I MISSED HIM. You miss the bear you dont get a 2nd chance
Really? youve had a bear try to munch of your head and have used this method as self defense? How many times?

Face it you have as much experince with your method of bear attack self defense as I do with mine, and Ill use mine should I ever been so attacked.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

you have no clue what I have been around,saw or did. Plz do not place me in your boots.

It would not make any difrants what I showed you or told you. You are the same as I was. I am bad I could kill a grizz with 1 shot at a full run right at me any day.I will yank my 44 out and drop him hehe good luck. Hunt around north yellow stone ring the food bell [ gun shot] than tell me all about it.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:13 PM

I'm sorry, I'm so used to typing 300 Win. Mag, that I typed the 375 as 375 Win. Mag. My mistake. The rifle that he shot the bear with was a 375 Holland and Holland Magnum, and the first shot at 20 feet DID NOT penetrate his skull,however it was not square on the skull, it was high on the forehead. The second round did break his shoulder and the last 2 went through the liver and abdominal area, and he still managed to travel over 400 yards and maul a horse. An 06 has no where near the power of a 375 H&H, and would had even less of a chance of stopping that bear. As I stated earlier, shooting an unsuspecting Grizzly that is standing broadside at 100 yards is one thing, and I still wouldn't do it with an 06, but a mad charging 10' Grizzly at 20 feet is something entirely different!

Quick Reply: 30-06 and grizzly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.