Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting maps

Old 03-20-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Hunting maps

Where can I find free big game hunting maps for Colorado on the internet?
Old 03-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting maps

I like those BLM maps that you can buy over the counter or at the BLM office, they probably have a website too, maps are about $5.00---not free though
Old 03-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would think if you are doing a do-it-yourself Elk hunt you would want the 7.5 minute topographic quadrangle maps. These maps provide enough detail to identify folds in the ground, saddles between canyons or basins, likely water courses -- which depend upon the snow pack the previous year and conditions earlier in the year -- and ponds, etc. Of course, if you are NOT looking at a do-it-yourself hunt your outfitter or guide should know where you are going and then you don't need maps. For flat country, the larger scale, lower detail, BLM maps may suffice. Additionally, you might look into getting a Colorado Gazetteer -- a collection of topographic maps that covers the whole state of Colorado. None of these maps is free, but maps are a hunting tool well worth the investment if you are doing-it-yourself.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are spending the money on a hunt, go down and buy some regular 30x60 minute maps in the 1:100,000 scale. They should provide enough detail for most hunting. They cost $7, and besides, by the time you printed out the maps from the internet to make that much area, you would be out way more in $$$$ than buying that $7 map. If you want really good detail, in color, it is going to burn a lot of ink, real quick. I also have a few of the 7.5 minute series, for when I am really needing some detail of a VERY specific hunting area, down to withing 10 miles. (Peticularly when I am looking for good hiding places for big bucks.)
Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I'll give you my map strategy, although it is not free. I think maps are second in importance only to your rifle/bow for hunting, and no one expects a free rifle, do they?

Buy the DeLorme's mapbook for CO. It'll cost around $20. In that book you've got the equivalent of the 1:100,000 maps other people have mentioned, but for the entire state. You can sit around evenings dreaming up scouting trips and hunts based off the book. Then, when you have narrowed down the place you want to hunt, get the USGS 7.5 minute maps that cover the specific area you will hunt. You'll probably spend another $20 here.

Take the 7.5 minute maps to the local color copy place and have them print up 11" by 17" copies of your hunting area. (Don't let them fold the maps when they run copies!) Then, have them laminate the copy/copies. Now you've got a durable, weatherproof map for hunting. You'll spend another $5 or so here. Total cost: $45.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:31 PM

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has Surface Management and Surface/Mineral Management map series available for the State of Colorado. These maps are at a scale of 1:100,000 and cover approximately 35 miles North/South and approximately 55 miles East/West. The maps are color coded to show land status (Federal, State, private or other agency). Maps do not show private landowner’s names. Other features on the maps are transportation (roads, trails), topography (elevation, contours), rivers & lakes, towns and other man-made features. The Minerals version is shaded to indicate the status of federal mineral ownership. The maps are folded and are available at any Colorado BLM office for $4.00 each plus shipping and handling. Maps showing the entire state of Colorado (at 1:500,000 and 1:1,000,000 scale) are also available at the same price. A volume discount applies when purchasing 50 or more maps from a BLM office or BLM internet sites. Discount Price: Mixed titles: 1-49, $4.00 each, 50 plus $2.40 each. htt://www.co.blm.gov/mapinfo/images/100kgmu.gif

elkhunter40
Old 03-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Colorado Division Of Wildlife has maps on their web site.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/
These maps are great for getting started. You go to the hunting page and go to MORE at the bottom of the list and click. Then scroll down to maps and your in. For hunting here I use BLM maps, they show stuff the best, elevation, Natioal Forest, BLM and roads. Great choice.
Gselkhunter
Old 04-05-2005, 09:38 PM

Free maps are all over the web. Do a search for GPS info and you will have your hands full.
Try a free program called 3DEM, download free Digital Elevation Models and Geo Tiffs of your area and you can create great 3d maps and also use it to plot courses with a gps.