Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Close encounters of the Animal kind >

Close encounters of the Animal kind

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Close encounters of the Animal kind

Old 03-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Close encounters of the Animal kind

OK while Goose hunting the Clark Fork about 8 years ago a flock flew over and I knocked 2 down in the icy water. I rushed down to the waters edge and grabbed the 1 Canadian and tossed him up on the bank. I then started running down the bank of the icy river to try and get the other Goose in the middle of the river. After 250 yards I gave up the river had claimed him.
When I turned around and headed for my other Goose on the bank, a Bald Eagle had snatched him up and I was chasing this Eagle who could barely take off. I was just feet from the thing but could not catch him.
My buddies who had been hunting down stream about 1/4 mile came over and I told them about the double I took and spent the rest of the day explaining what happened, they kept saying yah right uh huh a Bald Eagle and the river took the other. To this day they always bring up my invisable Geese. Not a close call but an interesting day to say the least
Old 03-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get to go to bed with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

One year on the opening morning of deer season (rifle ) back in WV, I was sitting with my back against a tree on a hillside and had this big gobbler come off the roost and almost land on me. When he was within what must have been ceiling height from me,I flinched and covered my head and he realized and had to start working really hard in order to back off on that same steep angle that he was approaching on.
That same year I was sitting with a huge rock face to my back and had a whole flock of hens (15-20+) come around the corner from behind the rock in single file--we couldn't see each other until they were about 2-3 yards from me---they would come around the corner and instantly explode into the air one after another---that was awesome--they just kept going and going and going
I've had several close encounters with moose in WY and MT while troutfishing some brushy creeks including a nice bull in the bighorn mountains that lounged under a tree all afternoon directly across the creek (15-20 yardS) from our camp, and a cow with a very little one that I surprised as they came out of the brush into the water--that will get the adrenaline goin. we all stopped then I just started easing back and talking to her and they soon just took off across the river
Old 03-18-2005, 08:22 PM

ORIGINAL: glob3006

Hey 4x4 .................was that a WASCALLY WABBIT

I haven't had a bear incident YET ????

Heck I'll take anyone Elk Huntin'

Maybe, all I know was I went to my lease to hunt some rabbits and I walked past this one bush and all of a sudden one rammed itself into my leg.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:49 AM

I would like to know what unit you are running into all these mmoose.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:51 AM

Hey X you must of been doing something wrong. I hunt 3-points which is basically at the base of sleepy cat unit 12 and bring home elk and muleys every year.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:34 PM

Got a few for you.

Hunting deer and scouting elk (elk opened in a week). Anyway walking into a meadow in the dark I hear some rag horns bugeling. I figue I'll check 'em out and when I get to the meadow I give a couple young bugels. Nothing, no responce. I know they must be just inside the treeline. Still nothing so I decide to walk through the meadow and onward to some deer hopefully. About halfway though the meadow to the left out of the timber a huge 6X7 comes right at me. I get down into a depression and nock an arrow (my only protection) and at full speed he stops about 15 feet away from me pissing on himself and ripping up the ground with his rack. I just sit there on my ass making myself as small as possible ready to draw at any minute if need be. After about 10 minutes he walks past me and then I find out why. Just inside the treeline on the other side of me he gathers up about 30 cows and herds them back to where he came from. This took some time and I just contined to sit there. When he was finally done and got everybody into the treeline I got up and continued through the meadow. He bugeled and bugeled over and over again until I got past the meadow. Never caught up with that heard during season. I tracked them for days but never found them again.

Ok a couple years later while deer hunting again we were hunting an area that always held deer and didn't kick up anything but we saw tons of cat tracks. After coming out of the area about 10 feet above us siting on a rock outcropping sat a big mounain lion just staring at us. He was about 20 yards away and with one good jump he could be on either of us. We both nocked arrows and starting talking to each other wondering what to do. We walked away from the cat back to back hoping for the best. The hair was standing upright on the back of my neck. Once we were away from him he just stood up and turned around and walked off. Guess he didn't like the competition in his area.

The next year in the same clearing we had the run in with the mountain lion we spotted a small buck and decided to put a stalk on him from either direction. Anyway I kept an old growth stump between me and the small buck and I got to about 15 feet of him but decided to pass as he just wasn't what I wanted. I put the arrow back into the quiver and walked around the stump casually. What I didn't realize was that there was a much bigger buck bedded with his back to the stump and I never saw him until I got around it. His hind legs were inches away from my feet when I rounded the stump and here just sat there staring at me with me staring at him. As slowing as possible I reached for an arrow and nocked it (yes he let me do this just inches away from each other). Moving as slowly as possible I started to draw but suddenly the bow made a sound he didn't like. He actually kicked my leg scrambling to get up. Didn't get a shot as all I saw butt after that, but I can tell you my heart will never be the same.

Here's fun one - anyway after a long morning elk/deer hunt we headed back to the truck to go back to camp for some grub. Once we finally stepped out of the woods at the truck we noticed a small doe down the road about 75 yards off. I gave it a little doe bleat just for fun. The darn thing started walking to me and my partner. We set our bows down and a bent over to give a more horizontal profile and bleated again, and wouldn't you know it but she came to us even faster. She came all the way to me and started sniffing becuase I just didn't smell right. Slowly I reached out and she tried sniffing it. I reached all the way out and just touched her nose and that was the end of that, she just about plowed us over trying to get out of there. Me and my partner just laughed. We gave that young doe a education she needed.