HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Quads? Kawi 650 or Grizzly 660 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/937-quads-kawi-650-grizzly-660-a.html)

340WBYMAG 01-08-2002 09:44 AM

Quads? Kawi 650 or Grizzly 660

Looking for advice from people who have had experience with either machine. Any Opinions on reliability or maintenance.

I know I didn't mention the Polaris 700, dealers in Ontario are charging a premium for this model, bacause of limited availability, so they can keep it. I was also originally looking at the 500s but the price difference was minimal compared to the newer and larger machines.

IDkTm 01-08-2002 01:41 PM

RE: Quads? Kawi 650 or Grizzly 660

The first thing I would do is figure out if you really need a four wheeler that large. What is it mainly going to be used for? My family has a Honda 300, 2wd and it will do absolutely anything we can throw at it. We've used it to haul out around 7 elk and countless deer without a problem. I'm not advocating buyuing this same model, its just that the manufactuers and ATV magazines hype up the biggest models when in reality they are not needed for many of the people who buy them.

okierut 01-08-2002 01:49 PM

idktm, you are right and have a great question.
i got a big bear 4x4 in oct. and it will do anything i want and more.
340 i would think about going with a 2x4 i feel i wasted close to a thousand bucks on mine i have never had it in 4x4.
my 2 cents

DeerThug 01-09-2002 12:03 AM

I vote for the grizz. Why, the thing is tougher than tough, comes very well equiped and it's made in USA.

340WBYMAG 01-09-2002 04:57 AM

I plan to use it around the farm and for moose/deer hunting. We get into some really bad swamps/washouts and I figured the bigger machine would make it easier to drag the moose out.

THE DEER SLAYER 01-09-2002 01:56 PM

65o prarie

boltman 01-09-2002 04:17 PM

I would definately go with a 4x4, a 2wd will leave you stranded sooner or later. I know you asked about kawasaki and yamaha, but have you considered a honda? They're the only quad maker I will own, I've seen enough problems out of the others to stay away. However, kawasaki and yahama are a huge step up from polaris.

jack78 01-09-2002 09:24 PM

I'd go with the Grizzly. Yamaha should have a promotional going on with getting a Warn winch for only $69. And thats a great winch to have.

340WBYMAG 01-10-2002 04:56 AM

I did look at the Honda Rubicon, but for the same money I can get either of the two machines.

340WBYMAG 01-10-2002 04:58 AM

Sorry I should have added this to my original note. I hear alot of bad things about Polaris Quads. Are they really that bad?

Pluto 01-10-2002 01:53 PM

340WM, You will be happy with either. For going thru mud, be careful of the Grizz. They have a reputation of sputtering. The theories I heard were either water getting on a connector or spark plug or when the hot pipe and motor hit the water there is a blast of steam that gets into the intake. It clears when the quad clears the water. Yama may have fixed it.

I will give you my opinion based on the basic designs of each.

Prairie - sporty. The motor is AWSOME. It is the hotrod of utility quads. It has a solid rear axel, good for sporty trail riding but it just might be what causes you to get stuck. It doesn't have a revlimiter in any foward condition. The reverce revlimiter is overridable with a button on the left side. Going from 2 wheel drive to 3 wheel drive is simple. (I say 3 wheel drive because the limited slip front diff on all quad except the Polaris and Bombardie(sp?) suck, it is not 4 wheel drive) True 4 wheel drive is with a brake like lever at the left hand. Some people don't like that.

Grizz - Excelent all around. The motor is slightly slower off the line were it counts but slightly faster top end than the prairie. The IRS (independent rear suspention) is good. If you are not riding fast trails, removing the rear sway bar makes it excelent. Unfortunatly, there is a revlimiter when in 4 wheel lock mode. It limits you to about 20mph. A reverce revlimiter keeps you under a few mph. The factory doesn't give a way to overide but I have seen some posted on the web. Going from 2 to 3 to 4 wheel drive are simple pushbuttoms.

Polaris has a reputation for poor quality. As I understand it, in '98 or '99 they had a major change in manufacturing phalosify(sp?). Now they make some very good equipment. The only weeknesses I am aware of are the tie rod end which can be replaced with industrial quality ones, damaging the front diff locks from severe missuse and compairitively high mantainence. I believe there are something like 27 zirk fittings on the sp 500 ho. I would have no ploblem spending my money on a polaris.

Other quads you should consider are the Suzuki Venson and the Bombardie Quest. The Venson is a 500cc quad built very similar to the prairie (ie solid axel, sporty). The Quest is the closest thing to bullet proof there is in a quad. It is ugly though.

I could go on but I can't type anymore.

Charlie

soarkrebel 01-10-2002 10:31 PM

340wbymag, i have a honda foreman s and a kaw. 300 4x4. i have had the kaw. longer but i will assure you the honda is more relible. we live for atvs in south arkansas and i will tell you every polaris i have ever went on a ride with has broken. kaw . belt drives are nothing but junk. the yamahas are alot better machine. but in my opinion and experience the honda is the best. everybody has different taste but for the kind of money they cost pick carefully. the kaw. has cost me alot in parts but 2000 miles the honda hasnt missed a lick. and trust me it is used hard.

340WBYMAG 01-11-2002 04:58 AM

I appreciate everyone's help. I found a dealer that sells all three, they recommended test driving them (they have an offroad track) and then deciding.

Thanks everyone

Deleted User 01-11-2002 05:10 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

WIbearhntr 01-13-2002 07:14 PM

first things first, dont buy a polaris, they suck. i have a 2001 yamaha kodiak. i think it is the greatest machine ever. if you ask me a 400 hundred is all you need. the kodiak was atv of the for 2 years in a row. you dont need a 650 or 660. sometimes you do need 4 wheel drive though. if you were to buy a big wheeler i would get the yamaha. i have ridden both the kaw and the yamaha, and yamaha is the best. honda is good too, but yamaha is just as good and not as expensive as the hondas. the best all around wheeler is the kodiak. take it from someone who spends all his time 4 wheelin and hunting get the kodiak.

Have 2 Hunt 01-13-2002 10:00 PM

I ride with them all, Kodiak's, Grizzly's, Polaris's, Ranchers, Rubicon's, you name it. My next quad will be a 2002 Honda Foreman S. Best bike for the buck and deffinatly the most reliable. The worst quad I have ever ridden was still a hell of a lot of fun though. Just my 2 cents.