Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Africa Hunting

Old 03-01-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Africa Hunting

Hi There!

Just thinking of starting a conversation on African big game hunting, plains game hunting, African calibers etc. Is there anyone out there that might be interested in chatting or asking questions on African hunting. I have been hunting in Africa for more than 25 years and professionally for just over 11 years. Let's hear it!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:14 PM

Default RE: Africa Hunting

I am very facinated by the Cape Buffalo. Do you have any pics that i could see? Also what is the most interesting animal you have ever taken in Africa?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:03 PM

is'nt it pretty spendy to hunt down there. and can you even eat some of those animals.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:44 AM

I did a 7 day hunt excluding airfare, for less than a guided elk hunt. $2995 for Africa. I think Africa is the best deal going right now.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:10 AM

Hippos

are hippos hunted in Africa. You hear about all these other dangerous animals being hunting but nothing about hippos. If my wildlife biology serves me right them things are nearly all meat and dangerous to boot. Why don't we hear of hippo hunts?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I saw a hippo hunt on one of the shows on the Outdoor Channel a couple of months ago. Pretty intense stuff. At one point a big bull charged out of the water right at the guys before stopping just short, looked terrifying! They say the only fair way to hunt them is to get them on land. I guess shooting them in the water is not very sporting. Capstick said that hippo is some of the best meat in Africa. I'd like to find out some day.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always wanted to hunt in Africa, but I guess I need to wait until I am older!
I know that if you really want some great conversation on hunting in africa go to the accuratereloading forums.
www.accuratereloading.com
Old 03-03-2005, 05:39 PM

personally, i dont like the fact that you guys hunt in africa shooting zebra, lions and whatever else. i saw even in a magazine some guy shot a baboon, i thought monkeys arent alowed to be killed?? i strongly agree with hunting for the purpose to get meat to eat and use as much as the animal possible. i think it is sad what people will do just to get that "trophy" to hang on their wall or sit on the floor.

now i hunt for moose and deer, and i am sure there are some of you out there that think killing a moose is terible, but at least i eat it, i have never heard of someone hunting a zebra,elephant, lion or baboon for meat have you? but this is just my own opinion.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:46 PM

MBRF, How can you pass judgement without knowing all the facts? All the meat from every animal is utilized, including zebra, elephant, hippo, and greatly appreciated by the locals. It is some times the only protien they recieve. A diet of mealy meal, corn mush, and a vegetable, are about all most Africans live on. I shot an elephant, and there was over 6000# of meat boned off, over the scale. Every clothes line, tree, and fence in the village was coverd with fresh meat. The heart alone weighed 68# and was eaten. The leg bones were taken and broken open and the bone marrow was eaten raw.

As for baboon, have you ever shot a coyote? A fox? A crow? A skunk? Baboon is in the same category. They destroy crops, orchards, bird egss, and even young antelope.

Now besides the meat, the money from tags and licenses, went into the local economy.

Your comments are one of the many things that are wrong with hunting. Hunters are thier own worst enemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:02 PM

well you are right, i dont know all the facts, i am glad to here that the meat is used(assuming that is true) and as far as the monkeys being varments, i still dont see a reason to shoot them, i have never shot anything cause is was a hassel to farmers, allthough i would love to kill a few crows, cant stand them.

i still dont think the hunting of exotic animals is a great thing, thats my opinion, but like i said i am glad to hear that the meat is used and that your spent money is going back into the local community.

thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Africa Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.