Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I DREW A TAG!!!!!

Old 02-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default I DREW A TAG!!!!!

I drew my first elk tag!! I'm going ELK HUNTING!!!!!!!!! Wyoming here I come. Sorry, I just had to get that out. Did I mention I'm going ELK HUNTING!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I DREW A TAG!!!!!

Great news Hunter_59. I hope you have a great time. Be it bow or rifle, get in shape and get the calls out and practice.Kill a big one!
Gselkhunter
Old 02-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats now start getting in shape so you will enjoy it to the fullest
Old 02-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Just curious what kind of tag you drew? Congrats I know the feeling.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats! I'm shut out again this year. I guess it's my own fault for applying in an area where I only have a 9% chance of drawing. Oh well, maybe next year. Where are you headed? Outfitter or Do it yourself?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone, I'm still bouncing off the wall. I have been planning this hunt for the past 5 years. My son was a long distance runner in high school so I thought I would train with him with the ultimate goal of getting in shape to hunt elk. I have now run 3 marathons and am on a self-induced weight training, running program. I am in excellant shape for a 45 year old. The altitude is what I'm worried about. I'll deal with that when the time comes I guess. This is a rifle hunt with an outfitter in Unit 60 in the NW corner of Wyoming. I researched this alot and this is the type of hunt I wanted. It's a wilderness horseback hunt. The horseback hunt in itself will be well worth the money even if I don't score. Shooting an elk is secondary. Don't get me wrong, I want to shoot a large bull, but if it's not meant to be then the hunt will still be successful for me. I also picked this area due to the grizzly population. Believe me, I don't have a death wish, but that's what elk hunting is to me, the wilderness experience. The grizzly just adds to that experience!! Thanks for all the congrats. This site is awesome.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!!!!!!!!
I live in Colorado but I suddenly find myself a bit jealous !@#$%
I'm glad to see that you are taking the getting in shape thing seriously. Alot of people think that if you go on an outfitted hunt that the guide does the work for you. That may sometimes be the case. But chances are that you will most likely be hunting at the guides pace because he is hunting at he Elks pace. As with any Elk hunt you may spend hours watching a bull or a herd and then next thing you know..... Your're at a full sprint with pack and all trying to get into position.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! and let us know how it works out!!!!!

Bill
Old 02-24-2005, 05:35 PM

Congratulations! That is in the Thourofare. Beautiful country! You might even see wolves. Shoot them if you do! We will be waiting to see how you do next fall and how many elk you see.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:52 PM

My father in law and I also drew elk tags for wyoming. We are planning on an archery hunt the last week of september. We are going fully guided with a guide we have used before, but neither one of us has ever archery elk hunted. Needless to say we are stoked. We are hoping to draw mule deer tags also, and if we do, we are going to do a 2 week combo hunt with the outfitter. Archery elk for 6 days, than rifle mule deer. How sweet would that be.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Congratulations & Good Luck on your hunt!!----------------ElkNut1

Quick Reply: I DREW A TAG!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.