Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.243 Win perfect for elk

Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

His first post was to rag on me. Whether he wants to own up to it, or not.

No one else may see it, but he knew I would.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its a simple comparison between two rounds that have more in common than they appear. I highly doubt the OP from 2005 and 13 total posts would even benefit from bringing it back up.

I still see no facts as to why one would be ok other than what a hunter MIGHT do.....take a long shot with a 243. Ive seen fools take shots over 250yards with a 30-30 also at deer. Thats hardly the fault of the caliber and typically an antis argument.

The 30-30 has a higher TKO factor but there are rounds with a higher TKO than a 30-30 that most would agree are poor choices for elk also.

That leads me to ask why the 6.5x55 is so popular in such a large amount of Europe for game larger than our deer. Are their moose so much smaller and easier to kill than our elk?

Its not like they dont have calibers with more muzzle energy or enough available platforms. The bullet is only .5mm larger than a .243 and not terribly more powerful.

Based on available facts and success, the old swede could likely do well on elk if you did not push the limits of its design.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

***If that's the case Pete, you fell right into his trap!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

So posting a factual rebuttal without mentioning or even implying a name is a trap?

Maybe you should report me and see how far it gets. If so, I will do the same for the insult or attempt at an insult.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-19-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

A 30-30 was not the topic. Why you brought it up is obvious.

A .243 is a flat shooting round. I used one for years on coyotes. Most guys who pick the .243 practice at long range. They also tend to take long hunting shots with it. That's where it fails as an elk round.

The 30-30 is generally found on lever guns. Lever guns are used in wooded areas. They shoulder fast, aim fast, and have enough energy at those shorter ranges to be ok for elk. Used as most would use the caliber it works fine for elk.

Using the 30-30 at long range on elk would be stupid

Not many would choose a .243 as a woods caliber. It would work fine, but that's not what most hunters use it for.

Both calibers have limitations compared to a 30-06. If the hunter stays withing those limitations. Both calibers will kill elk just fine. I never recommend calibers that have limitations, because you don't know how they will be used. If you ask me what a good elk caliber would be i'd say the 30-06. Not because I use one, but because it's a good all around caliber for elk that works well is most all situations.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 06-19-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
So posting a factual rebuttal without mentioning or even implying a name is a trap?

Maybe you should report me and see how far it gets. If so, I will do the same for the insult or attempt at an insult.

***Look wiseguy! Your factual rebuttal had nothing to do with what we're talking about, so reading comprehension doesn't appear to be your strong suit if you couldn't understand my simple post about your retort DIRECTED at Pete by username. This is what you started your post with that IMHO was not necessary just like this one back to me wasn't needed:

"Muley,
Contrary to what you may believe, its not always about you and if you want to resort to insults we can take this up another way."

Now before you take this any further please read the site rules and you'll see that you're in violation of at least one or two rules. You're retort to me isn't going anywhere because I'm not about to get into a pizzing contest with you out on this Forum and as I suggested earlier, please take your boy type BS to PMs for a one on one if that's what it's all about!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-19-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, i'm done too. I gave my opinion.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***If that's the case Pete, you fell right into his trap!
Hmmm, i guess it hard to follow the chain of posts so this may help. I never mentioned a name in the first post of even implied one.

Its so sad but at least he is done and actual facts can be discussed instead of only opinions or what MIGHT happen. Even though the scout type rifles never saw a huge following, the Rem 600/660 IIRC was offered in 243 and while not my choice would have made a viable "brush gun" for some. I liked the 308 better but that is my preference. Other calibers have a strong following also.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-19-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120

Hmmm, i guess it hard to follow the chain of posts so this may help. I never mentioned a name in the first post of even implied one.

Its so sad but at least he is done and actual facts can be discussed instead of only opinions or what MIGHT happen. Even though the scout type rifles never saw a huge following, the Rem 600/660 IIRC was offered in 243 and while not my choice would have made a viable "brush gun" for some. I liked the 308 better but that is my preference. Other calibers have a strong following also.
***Hmmm! It's really not since all you have to do is go right down the thread by the number (1 2 3, etc, LOL!) to see what was said! In any event, let's cut the garbage and have fun on here!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a chance. I don't even like a 243 for deer. Yotes and gophers it gets my vote. Elk are tough, and a puny bullet like that is irrational.

Quick Reply: .243 Win perfect for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.