Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk? >

What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk?

Old 02-20-2005, 12:31 AM

Default What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk?

I'm going elk hunting for the first time this fall, and I'd like some advice on the ballistics of the .270 round. I'm practicing and zeroing in my Remington with a 150 grain. Any practical advice would help. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Spike

Default RE: What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk?

Interceptor,

The 270 is a super cartridge and I use it for the vast majority of my hunting, even including the larger African plains game. Be aware, however, that elk are big animals, notoriously tough, and die hard. As in all hunting, where you hit them is a lot more important than what you hit them with. So a lot of practice from field hunting positions, not the bench rest, is important.

That being said, I would strongly recommend the use of 150 grain, "premium" hunting bullets such as Nosler partitions, Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Swift A Frames, etc. I would try several brands and types and choose the one that is the most accurate in your rifle. You should also be mentally prepared to pass up shot opportunities that may be marginal for a 270. The 270 will do the job; but you've got a lot less leeway with a 270 than you would have with say, a 338 mag. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:09 AM

I would switch to 140gr Accubonds
Old 02-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use a 140 or 150 grain premium bullet as stated above. If I were using a 270, I would only shoot at standing broadside or slightly quartering away elk that were 250 yards or less. Good luck
Old 02-20-2005, 05:40 PM

150 partitions, 140 accubonds, or a few other premium bullets would be a great choice

for practice, if you reload, you might cook up some light loads with SR4759 or IMR4227

or, I believe Rem. and Federal have started selling "managed recoil" lighter loads
Old 02-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Any of the premium bullets in either 140 or 150 grains will do a great job on elk. Failsafes and Barnes will give you the best penetration and will likely exit the elk even through shoulder bone.

Partitions, accubonds, interbonds, TBBC, A-frames would also be excelent choices.

Provided you can shoot well enough I would not hesitate to take a 300+ yard shot on a big bull with any of these bulelts in a .270.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:11 AM

I'm going elk hunting for the first time this fall, and I'd like some advice on the ballistics of the .270 round. I'm practicing and zeroing in my Remington with a 150 grain. Any practical advice would help. Thanks.
270Win. should do just fine for elk hunting. Go with a premium bullet/loading such as
Federal with 150gr. Nosler Partitions, 140/150gr. TrophyBonded, or Remington with
Core-Lokt Ultras. Practice, practice, practice.
Good luck.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:49 AM

Why not just use a beebee gun ?>...If i were to hunt with a Rifle i would not use a 270 .Excellent for deer , but i would stay away from elk. The best gun IMOO for elk would be a magnum round, 338..300...30-378.. 338 being the one i would choose. i've seen people loose elk with an 'ot 6 ...I wouldn't even take the risk .. To each his own.

No offense directed >>Whats funny is that most of the people giving you advise don't even have elk in there states. [:@]
Old 02-25-2005, 06:36 AM

Wouldn't be my first choice for elk rifles but it is certainly capable of doing the job. A few of my buds here are runnin .270 for elk and deer and seem to have no problems. However i am not sure what loads they use . And yes i have elk in my state um well province.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not just use a beebee gun ?>...If i were to hunt with a Rifle i would not use a 270 .Excellent for deer , but i would stay away from elk. The best gun IMOO for elk would be a magnum round, 338..300...30-378.. 338 being the one i would choose. i've seen people loose elk with an 'ot 6 ...I wouldn't even take the risk .. To each his own.

No offense directed >>Whats funny is that most of the people giving you advise don't even have elk in there states.
How's this for ya!! I've shot 13 elk with my .270, in my home state!! All were one shot kills, except one. The longest shot was right at 250 yards, shortest shot 50 yards. Only had one pass through and that was on a cow that was quartered away at 50 yards., the 140 gr. fail safe went through the far shoulder. On all the others the bullets were 150 gr. partitions. Only once did I use the fail safes, they worked, but I have gone to bow hunting them now!

The guys in my camp laughed at me my first year, even called my rifle a BB gun, but after I killed several elk and never lost a wounded one, they no longer laugh!

Quick Reply: What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.