HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Well thats the last thing I expected... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/9080-well-thats-last-thing-i-expected.html)

lamar g 09-09-2002 12:41 PM

Well thats the last thing I expected...

I canoed down to my favorite spot in the woods this weekend to go moose hunting. After thrashing some brush trying to call in a bull, all I seen was a cow. I decided to hike down to the swamps about a mlie and a half away and try brush thrashing again. After thrashing a while I sat down to scan the swamp and saw a pair of moose way off in the distance move thru a section line cut in the far edge of the swamps. I kinda thought "they couldnt have seen me". They were cruising pretty quick. Not long after that as I sat looking out over the swamp, a whole pack of about 12 wolves ran out of the woods right in front of me. They did'nt even see me til I lifted my rifle from my lap and put the crosshair on the lead wolf. They all froze right in front of me about 30 yds away. And now for the shameful part, I had no idea if the season for wolf was open or not. So not wanting to risk an illegal kill, I just sat there and watched as the whole pack ran off to the other side of the swamp and disappeared. It was really kind of a rush, but I was mad at myself for not knowing if they were legal or not. Turns out they were open and I could have havested 5 wolves.

Prairie Boy 09-09-2002 02:12 PM

RE: Well thats the last thing I expected...

you did the right thing lamar. it would have been iresponsible to shoot without knowing if the season was open or not. must have been a rush tho!

stubblejumper 09-09-2002 05:56 PM

We don't have that problem here in alberta.Wolves are not considered game animals and can be killed anytime.

skeeter 7MM 09-09-2002 10:47 PM

Saskatchewan, need a trapper license to harvest wolves. But this same thing happened to me 3 years ago, only they circled around me when I was cow calling...well I was a little nervous. I just don't trust wolves, those eyes!!!!!!

coyote hunter 09-10-2002 05:56 PM

that would have been an awsom sight to see.

amosgreg 09-11-2002 05:24 AM

WOW!
That is one of those things you hear about and to think you were that close to a hunting pack!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your day and good luck on the Moose!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!

King Hugh 09-12-2002 03:56 PM

I am a wolf fanatic, and couldn't have brought myself to shoot them, open season or not. I would give my right arm to be that close to a pack in the wild though. WHERE WAS YOUR CAMERA????

I'll take good luck over skill any day!

Rick Teal 09-12-2002 07:31 PM

In Ontario you can shoot wolves year round on a small game licence (except for a small area around Algonquin Park). Most residents would have unloaded on those wolves without a second thought.

Duffy 09-14-2002 11:17 PM

In Alberta wolves can be killed ALMOST anytime, on Crown land.<font color=red></font id=red>

1eyedfish 09-15-2002 07:01 AM

That sounds good lam like to see that &them . Think itsa federal crime here to shoot/kill woofs in(w y)&quot;:|( they have spent many millions of $$ so far to bring them back ... they sure got a lot to eat here i think.. lol crazy world hmmm eh federalis el locos i think the crown owns the trona mines etc here & the us/ gov the rest/&$ rr&?
Wolfs on the federl dole lol

saw some coyotes out back 4 -5 of them trying to ambush a antalope ..that was a cold winter i think ..
thick coaTS
&lt;'&gt;&lt;