HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Trophy Coues Deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/90560-trophy-coues-deer.html)

Hunter Randy 02-15-2005 02:55 AM

Trophy Coues Deer

I'm enterested in hunting Coues deer. Anyone have any help?

Slamfire 02-15-2005 11:21 PM

RE: Trophy Coues Deer

Southern Arizona around Globe or Douglas. I'd imagine NM would be the same. The live in really rough country and have a comfort zone of about 400 yards, so you'll need a flat shooter. More important a GOOD spotting scope, I'd guess 20x ought to work, but you'll need a big objective so you can peer into all the shadowy nooks and crannies on the opposite slope. If you are settin' up more'n 4 times a day you ain't lookin' good enough. :D Take someone who's seen 'em before you won't believe how narrow their racks are. ;)

Hunter Randy 02-16-2005 10:25 AM

Thanks for the advice! :D Sounds like you've hunted them a time or two. I here they're some tough hunting.

Slamfire 02-17-2005 12:45 AM

I managed to get one nice one on four trips to Douglas. A friend of mine was growing hydrophonic tomatoes down there. He'd scout the country in his Cessna a day or two before I'd show up. He was way too busy scratchin' out a livin' to waste time huntin' little deer, but get him on an elk hunt and he was hard to hold back. :D

VegasJeep 11-05-2005 07:11 PM

anytime ANYONE wants to go for a coues hunt let me know. I have a jeep and the only reason I ahve it is to get to soem remote locations for hunting coues whitetail.

Between my borhter law and I we have over 35 whitetail coues deer under are belt.

They are typically around 65-70" very hard to sneal on. Plan on hiking... and i mean hiking. Alot of people say its a poor mans rocky mtn sheep. That may be the case but it makes it no easier to hunt them.

WE scout a few times a year for them. If you want to tag along we leave form Vegas through kingman, phoenix and south of tucson to our little spot.

here is this years 90" kill on October 30th.

nutz4bucks 11-12-2005 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

Southern Arizona around Globe or Douglas. I'd imagine NM would be the same. The live in really rough country and have a comfort zone of about 400 yards, so you'll need a flat shooter. More important a GOOD spotting scope, I'd guess 20x ought to work, but you'll need a big objective so you can peer into all the shadowy nooks and crannies on the opposite slope. If you are settin' up more'n 4 times a day you ain't lookin' good enough. :D Take someone who's seen 'em before you won't believe how narrow their racks are. ;)
Great place!!!