Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 are wild hogs considered big game?? >

are wild hogs considered big game??

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

are wild hogs considered big game??

Old 02-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default are wild hogs considered big game??

i do all my hog hunting in the panhandle of texas. i would say on average of the hogs i kill weigh 200 lbs. is this considered big game? the biggest i've taken was about a 300lb sow.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:57 PM

Default RE: are wild hogs considered big game??

This is from the Texas Parks and Wildlife web site. Pigs are not Big Game. Hope this helps

EXOTIC ANIMALS AND FOWL
Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).
Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 PM

There was a 1000 pounder killed in Florida this year, is that big enough for you? [:-]
Old 02-02-2005, 09:41 PM

I didn't say they weren't big just that they weren't considered big game in the state of Texas where DKHAMMER is. I doubt they are considered Big Game in any state, more of an intruder or exotic. They are big in size I've shot many, most of the ones I've shot were small they taste better.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:33 AM

I think that NC considers them big game. When I buy my deer/big game tag each fall, they have hogs on it.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

I think it's in the eye of the beholder.

When a big boar or sow is charging you, I think it is big game. Being a person that has hunted wild hogs all my life, I would bet the farm that there has been more hunters and hunting dogs hurt by wild hogs than any other game animal. I've never hunted bear, but from what I read, a sow bear with cubs is a dangerous animal, I doubt any more so than a sow hog with pigs.

dog1
Old 02-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd agree with Dog1.
I've never hunted Boar but I'd consider them a big game,if not leaning toward dangerous game.Just like a bear encounter would not want to face one in the wild, and not be wishing I had something to protect myself with.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Depends on which view you take and how technical you want to get.

As far as most DNR's are concerned they are not a game animal at all and as such are legally hunted all year long with no bag limits. Basically they are not regulated like othr big game animals are.

As far as actually hunting them goes... yes they would be considered big game. Anything from antelope on up is considered big game in this country.

Javelina would not be considered big game but rather small game.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:11 PM

Well here in Tennessee we have two classes, feral hogs, which can be hunted year round. Then there are Russian Boars, which are big game require a seperate tag and have a two day season. Not over the entire state mind you but just in my WMA (South Cherokee). Its kind of easy to tell the difference the boars are brown with black vertical stripes, called bars.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:29 PM

i think so

Quick Reply: are wild hogs considered big game??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.