Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Where would you live/retire? >

Where would you live/retire?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Where would you live/retire?

Old 01-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where would you live/retire?

I have recently started to think about where I would like to be when I retire. Now I still have at least 16 years to go, but it is always good to plan ahead. I'm not looking to move somewhere permanently, just to buy some land to put up a comfortable cabin where I can spend part of the fall big game hunting and a little time in the spring to turkey hunt. Here is my criteria:

1. To have muliple big game species available to hunt (such as elk, mule deer, whitetail, turkey, antelope, bear, moose, etc.)
2. To be able to draw at least one tag a year or have over the counter tags available
3. To be reasonably close to open lands (National Forest, BLM, State) or ability to get permission from private land (even w/reasonable tresspass fee)
4. Not empty the bank in purchasing the land and building the cabin

Does such a place exist? Any suggestions as to what state, county, or unit might have something like this available? I have looked at several ranches which sell 20 to 40 acre lots in various western states. Some are on the pricey side and others seem to have too many rules (covenants) and restrictions for my liking. So what do you think?

. . . Rob
Old 01-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where would you live/retire?

Welcome to my life here in NW Montana. Bobby
Old 01-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go west young man. Several western states would fit the bill. However Not as well as Alaska would.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Montana With out a doubt.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

not as many big game species in Alaska as would be available in a western state.

WA: mulies, blacktail, whitetail, bear, elk, cougar, moose, 3 subspecies of turkey
ID: mulies, whitetail, bear, cougar, elk, moose, antelope, 3 subspecies of turkey
MT: same (not sure on the turkeys)
AK: blacktails, caribou, bear, moose, muskox (?)
Old 01-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did think of AK, but I think that is too far for me to travel to. Logistics would be a nightmare and I would think the cost would be high (building materials, travel to get there, etc.)

I have looked at southern Colorado and like what I see, but some of the ranches which are selling have some mighty strict rules and building requiremements.

Ok, so I am hearing Montana. Which area of the state has the most flexibility. I know eastern has the Milk River and all those whitetails and southeast has the Powder River with whitetails and mulies. I would imagine you would need to head to the National Forest and mountains to get into elk. I would also think that most of the river bottom areas are private posted property.

What area (as specific as you can get) would you suggest?

. . . Rob
Old 01-29-2005, 05:44 PM

If I wasn't in the mountains of my wife's family origion, I'd settle in Raton NM. Just down the road is the NRA's Whittington Center, with world class shooting ranges. The Santa Fe trail runs right through the property. Elk, mulies, and antelope all within an easy drive.
Second choice, Flagstaff, AZ. Taking a back seat due to the population explosion taking place there.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:10 PM

Land in Alaska is not cheap, in fact it is very very very expensive. For all of its vastness, there is not much privately held land. Most is state, federal, or native lands. Also suitable building sites are limited.

As for hunting we have.

moose, black bear, grizzly bear, sitka deer, elk, dall sheep, mountain goat, wolves, wolverine, and caribou that can be hunted with a general tag. A hunting license for a resident is 25 bucks, tags are free except for grizzly, they cost $20.

Small game include sage grouse, ruffed grouse, ptarmigan (3 species), spruce grouse, snow shoe hare, sea ducks, puddle ducks.

Then there is the fishing.....
Old 01-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Big Sky Country.....Montana! You have it all....elk, moose, mountain lion, bear, deer, sheep, goats, antelope, turkeys, pheasants, sharptails, huns, and lots of big trout. I lived there for almost two years and the only problem I encountered was not having enough time to do everything! Not having a job would have been perfect! I wasn't that fortunate.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:06 PM

I am there!

Quick Reply: Where would you live/retire?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.