Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Where would you live/retire? >

Where would you live/retire?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Where would you live/retire?

Old 01-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where would you live/retire?

Rob,

Can't go wrong with central Montana. Not the most beautiful scenery in the state by far, but access to everything is at your fingertips. I personally like the Lewistown area. You're relatively close to the Missouri Breaks which are full of elk and mule deer, there are a lot of whitetails in the area, there are merriams turkeys all over the place, deer and antelope in the foothills, elk in the snowies, judiths and little belts. Awesome antelope country is a short drive eastward, and the rockies are a hop skip and jump (by Montana standards) westward. I can't vouch for other states, but Montana has plenty of BLM and BMA that is readily accessbile. I can't even remember why I moved from that wonderful place. Oh yeah...the job! [:'(]
Old 01-30-2005, 03:30 PM

I wouldn't move to Montana. It really sucks here. Do yourself and your friends a favor, tell everyone you know to stay away from this hell hole!
Old 01-30-2005, 04:44 PM

I wouldn't move to Montana. It really sucks here. Do yourself and your friends a favor, tell everyone you know to stay away from this hell hole!
Absolutely true. You do not want to move here. Winters long and cold, no views, terrible hunting. Friends don't let friends move to Montana.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:45 PM

-
Old 01-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

So the next logical question would be where can I find game population data by area/unit and draw data?

Does this exist on the F&W website? Things such as elk, muledeer, whitetail, antelope and turkey current populations. Buck to doe ratios and # of Bull elk per 100 cows? Number of preference points required to draw a tag, success rates, # of leftover tags, etc. Are there any over the counter tags in MT?

Thanks, Rob
Old 01-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Salmon Idaho for me, its about 180 miles north from Idaho Falls where I live now. If there was work for me in Salmon, I'd be there right now. But for the time being I just visit a lot!
Old 01-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Yup don't want to move here. It's not all thats it's cracked up to be. I'd stay away unless you like
Old 01-30-2005, 06:38 PM

Ya may think i am weird but i would stay right where i am in Saskatchewan, elk, deer, bear, moose, waterfowl and upland all in 1700 acres. Sure the elk and moose aren't monsters but still alot of fun to hunt, wouldn't dream of hunting any place else.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Rob check the Montana FW&P web site, they have alot of data on there. As far as tags, if you are a resident you can hunt just about anything. You should also look into Wyoming and other western states.

My brother lives in central MT and I take hunting trips out there, I like out there alot, I hope someday to live there.......time will tell!
Old 02-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Centeral MT and to tell you the truth it ain't that great,I would look at moving to Colorado or Cleavland.

Quick Reply: Where would you live/retire?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.