Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hog hunting

Old 01-25-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Hog hunting

My father and I are wanting to go hog hunting. We are not concerned about "trophies", simply meat. Looking to put some pork in the freezer and spend time together. We are looking for a place that won't cost an arm and a leg. I was looking at Venado Grande ranch. They had a hog hunt that cost $395 for two days. That included lodging and all the hogs you could shoot. But their website no longer works. Anybody know a good place to go for getting some pork? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:38 PM

Default RE: Hog hunting

What State do you live in? Hog hunting is my passion to. I live in Northern California where there are a lot of hogs but finding them on public lands is tough. Guided hunts on private California ranches have an extremely high success rate but cost anywhere from $450 for a "bear bones" hunt to $800 for the deluxe version. I do not think California hogs, which have a fair amount of Russian/European DNA as a result of an introduction program of European wild boars in the 1920s are as large as those found in the Southeast U.S. but still can get well over 200 pounds.

Californiadoctor
Old 01-26-2005, 06:01 PM

I'm hunting Texas for hogs in February. Texas is very good for hunting hogs and if you get away from the big advertising budget hunts its actually very cheep 250 or less for a large hog or ten. The cheepest hunts in texas tend to be south of San Antonio near Floresville and range over too Hondo. Hogs every where though. My brother in laws landhas a bunch now too didn't untill about 6 months ago, I can't wait to waste some of my mechanicals since I can't use them in Idaho.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:33 PM

I live in Illinois, so Texas is about as far as I can go. I would prefer tennessee. But thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

hog hunting is about all i do anymore. now that i'm back from my year tour in korea i spend every other weekend hog hunting in texas with my dad. we have not gone out and not shot at least half a dozen hogs. the hogs are so thick here that many farmers will give you permission to hunt their land for free if you just ask. if there's any way to check around memphis texas up to the caprock canyon you should be able to find a lease for cheap if not free. these farmers that farm peanuts hate these hogs because their a pest to the crops. as bad as having to plant fields twice. good luck on finding a place and remember there is the chance that you could get lucky and find a farm for free to hunt on.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live on the Ill., Iowa border (Northern part of the state) & hunt hogs seveal times a year. Archery only. This is a list of places I have gone & will go back to. All different size properties.
Coal Creek farm, Inc Paris, Il. 217-275-3516 (bow-gun)
Shiloh Ranch hunting camp, Stonewall, Ok. 580-265-4462 (archery only)
Sweetwater creek Bowhunting, Decatur, Tx. 940-626-4948 (archery only)
Ray Modisett (7M hog hunting) Near Lufkin Tx. 936-422-3602 hounds or stand (archery-gun).
All have web sites
Shiloh hog Dec. 2004 in pic.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:05 PM

I am checking out a place in tennessee. They charge $545 for a 3 day hunt. Includes meals and lodging. Hopefully this place will work out. I really don't want to drive 18 hours to texas. It is 9 hours to this place. Cuts trip time to 5 days instead of 7. Thanks for the thoughts though.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck-you will have a blast hunting them.
I have not hunted these places but have had lots of good feedback about them. may try them down the road.
Caryonah Lodge in Tn. & Clarkrange (Ken Moody) in Tn.. They also have web sites.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:34 PM

Can I use the same load I use for deer when I hunt hogs with my 50 cal. muzzleloader?

Right now I use 90 grains of pyrodex with 240 grain Hornady XTP 44 cal. bulet in sabot. Good groups at 100 yards.

Hunting Texas in March.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:25 PM

Caryonah lodge is one of the places I am looking into. The others are Wilderness hunting lodge, and Loshbough Hunting Range. They are all sending me info. Prices are about the same, so not really sure which one I am going to go with. I am probably going to use my bow. What broadhead do you recommend, ahunter55? I was looking at the Steel force cut on contact. The Muzzy's I love so much just don't look tough enough for a boar. I use 100gr 4 blade heads now.

Quick Reply: Hog hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.