Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 NonResident Idaho archery elk hunting? >

NonResident Idaho archery elk hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

NonResident Idaho archery elk hunting?

Old 01-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NonResident Idaho archery elk hunting?

I have a Archery stamp in Montana. I have never taken bow hunter education.
Can I show my Montana archery stamp at the counter and just buy an Idaho archery stamp? Does Idaho require me to have bow hunter education before I buy a stamp?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NonResident Idaho archery elk hunting?

Wolf killer, yes as long as you have a current bowhunting licence/stamp/permit, or what ever form of paper work your state requires. You can bowhunt Idaho with out taking a education course. Just show your stamp like you said and they will have you fill out a affidavit and you'll be on your way with no problems.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Wolfkiller--What part of ID you thinking of hunting? Hopefully you won't be too far away and we could visit at one or the others camp!
ElkNut1
Old 01-20-2005, 09:46 AM

when i took my class acouple of years ago, the instructor told another guy, that even if you have a stamp from another state, you still have to take the class, didn't matter that the guy had bowhunted for years, just not in idaho, there for he was required to take a class in idaho. but , you might get lucky, i would call the fish and game office to make sure first.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help idahoelkinstructor. I thought a archery stamp from another state would allow me to buy a Idaho archery stamp. I might take the class anyway? I am sure I could learn something from it.

elknut1, I am not sure where I will hunt? I might hunt near Salmon? Most of my elk hunting in Montana is done near Wisdom.
I would like to meet up with you at one of your camps or an outdoor show some day.
I am going to get some information from the Idaho fish & game before I make my hunting plans.
Any information you guys would like share would be helpful.

Thanks,

Wolf Killer
Old 01-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wolfkiller, 5 years ago I moved from British Columbia and could not prove that I previously had a bowhunters license so I ended up taking the required Montanas state classes that were being offered. After everyones introduction the instructor told me in front of the class that I had more experience bowhunting than any one esle and I even ended up bringing my archery equipment in and gave a seminar on my hunting equipment. At the end of the last class the instructor( a local biologist) ask me if I was intrested in being an instructor. I said sure so I am now a certified Montana Bowhunter instructor. If I can help you out let me know, thanks, Bobby
Old 01-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bobby I live about 55-miles south & west of Billings, Montana. I am sure I will need to take the class in Billings, if I do take one? I would not mind taking the class, if I can find a weekend class? I wish they would offer the class in the winter months? I have so much going on in the summer it will be hard to fit the class in.

Thanks,

Wolf Killer
Old 01-20-2005, 10:55 PM

Wolf,
I hunted in Idaho 3 yrs ago and only had to show that I'd had a archery license from Kansas. They didn't ask if I had taken any archery class or not (which I haven't, only regular hunter saftey). It's been 3 1/2 yrs since I bought my elk tag in Idaho, but if I remember correctly, they didn't need to see the tag, I only had to tell them I had gotten one previously. Like the others have said, all it'll take is a call to Idaho fish and game to make sure.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken out several hunters from out of state over the past few years. There were all able to hunt because they already had hunted in other states with a bow. I know that you will be alright. Good luck in your hunt.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:07 PM

Wolf,
I have bowhunted the last two years with elknut and being from tennessee they mailed a form for me to sign stating that I had previously held a bowhunting liscense . That was for the first year only.no problems.
Good luck

Quick Reply: NonResident Idaho archery elk hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.