HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Elk Moose hybrid, Melk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/86915-elk-moose-hybrid-melk.html)

fairchase Larry 01-18-2005 01:20 PM

Elk Moose hybrid, Melk

When I was on one of my Idaho elk hunts,it believe it was in 97 I read an article in a local newspaper about a hunter killing an animal believed to be an elk moose cross.

The animal had characteristics of both, there was much controversity about it.

The hunting story was lengthy but said the hunter had buggled it in during the Elk rut and killed it with a bow.
It had elk shapped antlers that were palmated.
Some experts speculated it was an odd moose others that it was a cross.
DNA test were pending and were to be publshed later.
Does anyone know about the story and the DNA results?

leftmehangin 01-18-2005 07:29 PM

RE: Elk Moose hybred, Melk

you must be joking or really stupid either its an elk or a moose not a cross elk and moose don't get along for one and for 2 its impossible

fairchase Larry 01-18-2005 09:10 PM

RE: Elk Moose hybrid, Melk

undefined
I may be really stupid but not joking.
The article gave detailed discriptions of the animal and even the game biologist were not sure what it was, in fact charges were pending against the hunter in the event it proved to be an moose and also if it was indeed a cross due to it being as much moose as elk.

Anyhow I contacted the Idaho fish and wildlife today inquiring about the animal,whatever they send I will cut and paste here,to at least prove I am not as stupid as I might appear.

bigbulls 01-18-2005 10:31 PM

Why is it stupid? Wierder things have happend in nature. I have seen animals try to breed with almost anything. Take a male dog and your leg for example.;) When animals get that horney anything can happen.

Be it in captivity but there are tiger and lion cross breeds called lygers.

121553 01-18-2005 11:14 PM

This past week when it got down to 20 below f I was breeding with my wood burning stove, just goes to show ya, imbreeding does exist. ;) Bobby

manwithgreenjeans 01-19-2005 11:30 AM

where is gorse when u need him man thats so imposible it couldnt hapen did u take any biology courses or have any comin sense on animals at all it is imposible for two diferent species to breed.

hillbillyhunter1 01-19-2005 01:03 PM

I don't know--they're all members of the deer family---whitetails and mulies occasionally breed---horses and donkeys breed--I wouldn't think it would be out of the question

leftmehangin 01-19-2005 04:57 PM

green jeans is smart man these other guys i can't say that about moose and elk fight they don't along and they aren't even close but you never know but i still think its really stupid to believe everything you beleive.

hillbillyhunter1 01-19-2005 05:51 PM

We'll make sure we call you--left---if we need an IQ barometer (measuring instrument) (grin)

hb

gorse 01-19-2005 05:54 PM

-