Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting in Colorado

Old 01-16-2005, 06:16 PM

Default elk hunting in Colorado

Hopefully I will be hunting elk this fall for the first time On a do it yourself deal.We are looking at the area around Silverton Colorado, a freind of mine had someone recomend this erea. Have any of you hunted this area before? I am looking for any info I can get. Is there many elk in this area? Is there allot of hunting preasure in this area? We will be hunting with bow. Thanks for any help you can give. Or if you can recomend any other areas??
Old 01-16-2005, 07:35 PM

Default RE: elk hunting in Colorado

Really I just wanted to say good luck and I am excited for you. I'd recommend making sure you are in tip-top shape.
Ever the flat-lander, I went on my first elk hunt this past October in Colorado and was able to harvest one on the first hour of the first day of the season, but it took us a whole day to pack my elk out of the mountains. I would not have traded that hunt for anything, it pushed me past my physical limit (and I am in shape), the meat is awesome, and I am totally addicted.
Colorado is beautiful country. Have fun, good luck, and enjoy yourself. Elk hunting is living fully and completely!

All the best,

Kimberly
Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Question which unit? Which season? Beautiful area and yes there are a lot of elk over there. But buy great boots, because it is hard country, lots of up! If you can run 5 miles at sea level that will get you a 100yds at 11,000ft. OK it might not be that bad, but it will work you harder than you will believe. Most people take a couple of days to adjust to altitude, and some can't. Get in the best shape of your life and you will have a ball.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-19-2005, 03:12 AM

I am not sure of the area, all I know at this point is it is only a few miles from Silverton. And I have heard it is ruged terrain there in that parts. We are looking at the first two weeks of the bow season. Do you think we will see lots of hunters in this area?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe, it is a popular area. But it isn't anything you can't get a way from by driving or walking.
http://www.wildlife.state.co.us/ This is the division web site and they have a map section in there that will give you unit numbers and some topo stuff. I use BLM maps and they come out of Canyon City, CO. They give the best veiw of public vs private land. But call the Division officer in Silverton he will get you started. The big game regs are suppose to come out this month, they will be posted on the web site also. If I can help let me know.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a sea level flatlander and hunt in the LaGarita area, NE corner of the San Juan Range that is NE of where you are planning on going.
Others have said to be in shape.... BE IN SHAPE!
Seriously, the ruggedness of the country can be daunting, coupled with the altitude. We camp and hunt above 10,000 feet. It kicks your rear. I've found that being in the best possible condition mitigates to an extent the altitude problem. You expend a lot more energy just walking, moving, doing anything at that elevation. Constant hydration is also important. I force myself to drink a lot of water during the day.

Pay particular attention to your overall cardio fitness, low back and legs. Boning out an elk, then humping it out is a chore. Hopefully you will have horses?

Putting a couple ridgelines between you and roads will get you away from a lot of the other hunters. The deeper in you go, the less people there are.

Good Luck.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 AM

there seems to be a theam to this elk hunting. EXERSIZE and get away from the road. thanks for the info guys everything I can get at this point is just putting me ahaid of the game. GS you said to talk to the division oficer. Are most of them pretty helpfull? Back here in Indiana you don't know what you will get ahold of when you talk to one.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

huntingpal, I was planning a hunt in colorado a couple of years ago and did my research and then called a DOW officer for some more detailed info on the area I picked our. He was very helpful and very polite. I called him at his home and he didn't mind at all. I'm sure all of them aren't that helpful but the one I got a hold of sure was. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

I have never had an officer not call me back, or give me bad info in CO. They are out in the field a lot, so sometimes it takes a couple of days before they call back. Tell them what you would like to do, hunt from town or camp in the hills or how ever you want to run your hunt. And he will give you an area in general. Remember elk move a lot so when you get here, you will still have a lot of work to do. But that area is stunning with it's beauty, you will like it. I would call now, that way if you have to put in for a draw tag you have time to make a plan. Have a good time and don't come out here without a good camera, you will hate yourself.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Thanks again guys!! GS can I find a contact number on the web site for the devision officer?

Quick Reply: elk hunting in Colorado

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.