Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana Bison Hunt Canceled >

Montana Bison Hunt Canceled

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Bison Hunt Canceled

Old 01-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Montana Bison Hunt Canceled

HELENA, Mont. Jan 10, 2005 — Afraid of the bad publicity, Montana on Monday canceled what would have been the state's first bison hunt in more than a decade.

The Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission's 4-1 vote came less than a week after new Gov. Brian Schweitzer expressed strong misgivings about the hunt and the potential damage to the state's reputation. The monthlong hunt had been set to begin Saturday.

Commissioner Shane Colton said he was worried that the furor over the hunt "may actually be a quick finish to bison hunting."

But John Brenden, the only commissioner opposed to canceling the hunt, chastised fellow members for surrendering to pressure from out-of-state critics.

At the same time, the commission endorsed plans to hold a three-month bison hunt that would start next November.

The hunting of bison that wander from Yellowstone National Park each winter was canceled in 1991 after protests and bad publicity. The revival of hunting was authorized by the 2003 Legislature to help control their number.

Many bison in the park carry the disease brucellosis, which can cause cattle to abort. Montana ranchers fear the bison will spread the disease to their herds, although there has not been a documented case of that happening.

Commissioners said that delaying the hunt until next fall would give the state time to put pressure on Yellowstone officials to cut disease among the bison and that a longer season and larger hunting area would create a fairer hunt.

Steve Pilcher, an official with the pro-hunt Montana Stockgrowers Association, said any cancellation should be accompanied by a commitment that that state will push the federal government to do something about diseased bison.

Harmon Ranney, who said he was one of more than 8,000 people who applied for the 10 bison hunting licenses, complained that the cancellation "goes against the will of the Legislature."

Guess we'll have to wait till next November[:@]
Old 01-10-2005, 07:15 PM

Default RE: Montana Bison Hunt Canceled

These people must think wildlife lives forever. I mean, the animals are going to die, old age, preditors,starvation, weather! By hunting them you are barely shortning thier lives and they are being consumed by humans! There is just no reasoning!!!![:@]
Old 01-10-2005, 07:21 PM

MB what is the process by where a commissioner gets their job? If our wildlife commissioners here in TN make ludicrous decisions like those of yours, they would be OUT of a job overnight. Get RID of the bums right now! No sense in listening too their reasoning. They are giving in too the animal rights activists even over sound biological science and recommendation. That is TOTALLY UNACCEPTIABLE if you ask me. Get rid of them yesterday!!!

THIS kind of weakling politicos is just what the PETAheads are hoping for, stop em now before its too late. Look at California and how their legislators run ROUGH SHOD over the moral majority, DONT let it happen in a great state like Montana!
RA
Old 01-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Red:
The Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission, including the three new commissioners APPOINTED by Gov. Brian Schweitzer.

I am bummed out at not getting the chance to be drawn for the hunt. But on the other hand I didn't understand why FWP was only allowing 10 permits.
The FWP shoots over 250 each year. Maybe with the cancellation they can get there $hit together and come up with a better plan.[X(]

Also I guess had the hunt taken place I am sure the controversary would have shut it down for a few years anyway. I guess to look at it positively maybe later in the year they will allow alot more permits so more people get a chance to hunt before it's shut down again.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 AM

Man I am sorry that they caved-not sure that buffalo hunting is much more than harvesting as the animals are really not that hard to get up on but the fact is the animals are not being harvested and could be! That is great meat.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:06 PM

Montanabob, you should read the FWP site. I was with you, and was giving the Gov the benefit of the doubt. It made sense to delay the hunt in order to expand it. BUT - I'm pretty sure I interpret today's FWP article (on their site) to say that there will still only be 10 tags?!?!?!

Do you read the same?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Just went to their site and the drawing has taken place. I wasn't successful. Here is a Clip off the site.
A 2005-06 bison season was tentatively approved by the FWP Commission last month and will be discussed during public meetings later this year. Final decisions on specific locations, season dates, and quotas will be made in August.
I am hoping that the Quota's will be up'ed and not just 10 tags being issued.
I think the price for refunds is why they went ahead with the drawing as they most likely would have lost money with all the refunds being issued.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:23 PM
jjt

MB

not to be an ass

but your leaders in montana are caveing to the stupidity that seems to be running rampit these days. we have had a (free ranging) bison hunt for many years with little problems from the bunny huggers

it is all in how it is presented to the public and how much back bone your politicians have

isnt Gov. Brian Schweitzer supposed to be some sort of sportsman or for the sportsman

i seem to remember reading something like that somewhere
Old 01-12-2005, 12:26 AM

Here we go ago, as soon as we put a democrat in office they are willing to forgo the will of the people in the name of appeasement. What king of chickenshi* governor cancels a hunt to accommodate the national media? Should a governor be making executive decisions based on "possible media outrage"? You gotta be kiddin me, this idiot was elected by Montanans and that is embarrassing.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

The way I see it is we have 2 major problems. This whole thing centers around THE GREAT YELLOWSTONE PARK. It seems every bunny and tree hugger is focused on the goings on here. Cut a tree or kill a Bison and they all run to the media.
Next is the state of Montana. With so many out of state (Kalifornian's) moving here in the past 10 years they have run rampant and probably out number the natives. They now are voting and have brought thier big city thinking with them. This used to be a Republican stronghold and as you can see by the election Democrat Brian Shweitzer things are changing for the worse.I don't see it getting any better in the future.
With names like Huey Lewis, Phil Jackson,Hank Williams, Ande MacDowell, Kid Rock,Dave Letterman, Howie Long, Jim Carry, Ted Turner and a butt load more as residents you can see where Montana's future is heading.

Quick Reply: Montana Bison Hunt Canceled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.