HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Bowhunters & Binos (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/85620-bowhunters-binos.html)

elknut1 01-07-2005 09:29 PM

Bowhunters & Binos

I've noticed on this site as well as others that many bowhunters say they rely on their optics to successfully hunt or locate elk. My question is why?? Now unless you're trophy hunting in an LE UNIT why is it you place so much importance in a heavy object around your neck! Ruling out road hunting of course! :D

The reason it strikes me as odd and to question ones motives is I or the different hunting partners in our camp do not use them. Yet we harvest more than our share of elk everyear. Sure we have areas we can see elk a half mile away or several hundred yards away at a time, but many areas are heavily timbered and vision is very limited. We've found that the use of "blind setups" when elk aren't vocal are awesome. We've also found that when elk are vocal the use of calls are unbeatable along with strategic methods.

Now how many bowhunters here can attribute a harvested elk by the use of binos? In most cases you can tell the size and maturity of a bull by his sound, within reason of course. Now I can see the use of good optics by rifle hunters of course, but I question their use and annoyance for bowhunters! Not trying to cause a debate, but I fail to see the real necessity here.

Please enlighten me!!! Thanks--ElkNut1

Elkcrazy8 01-07-2005 09:41 PM

RE: Bowhunters & Binos

I don't use bino's but will use my range finder(4x) on occasion to glass the alpine on the other side of the drainage. Mobility is the key to elk hunting. Even my bow feels like it is 50 lbs by the end of the day. Last year was a little better as I used a bow sling. Most of the elk we take, we can hear them long before we see them. The only time I would probably say that bino's help is the late season to spot a migrating herd and ready yourself into position. But I wouldn't put them high on the priority list for early season. I would much rather pack the extra weight in junk food.

RobinHood36 01-08-2005 12:54 AM

For bowhunting elk, I leave the binoculars behind, one less item aroud my neck, have enough problems with all the calls hanging all over me LOL. On locating elk I rely on my hearing as the main source, but my hearing is'nt as sharp as it used to be (to many long hours running chainsaws), I figured this out while hunting with my boy as he hears sounds alot of times that I just plain do not hear. Now rifle hunting for muley deer the binoculars are my eyes, gotta hav'em.;)

muley69 01-08-2005 06:15 AM

First off, bino's are definately less important during bow season then rifle. My plan in the early season is a trophy bull. I get up high and glass the various herd movements and locate a trophy. From that point on, I will focus on that bull, maybe for the entire season. Secondly, I wouldn't go anywhere without my bino's. While my goal is an elk, my passion is being out there and enjoying all that nature has to offer. I have spent hours glassing animals during bow elk season, maybe it is a perched eagle, or frolicing bear or whatever. I suppose if your only goal is to kill an elk then fine, but to me I don't want to miss natures show. When I take the boat out fishing I bring my binos, I'm convinced they havn't lead to an increased catch, but I take them. The is more to elk hunting then elk.

gselkhunter 01-08-2005 06:16 AM

You boys come on down here to CO and I will teach you why!:D You better break in some real good boots too!
Gselkhunter

RobinHood36 01-08-2005 09:32 AM

I don't miss natures show at all, when i am out in the great outdoors, all my senses are on full alert--I by far take in account of all the beauty with my own two eyes, my ears-- they hear the forest talking, my nose takes in the forest aromas, and taste----well i always seem to find myself in a batch of huckleberries!!!!

idahoelkinstructor 01-08-2005 11:08 AM

elknut1 your right, I always carry a small compact pair in my pack. But out of my five bow killed elk, I never used them. Come to think of it, I don't know of one time when I or my hunting partners have used them on any bow kill (elk) or close chance.

Elkcrazy8 01-08-2005 11:52 AM

Robinhood36, I know what you mean about the natures show. I have spent hours watching eagles soar on the thermals above me and the elk. The drainage I hunt has many bears and we see them on a regular basis. Most if not all are seen without the use of bino's. I hunt a mix of lodgepole and chaparel. I usually can't see more than 40 to 50 yards. Bino's would be one extra thing to carry that I don't need. I can't say that they would not be useful in some hunting areas, but for me there is no place for them in the early season elk woods. It would be just as useful to carry a 2 pound rock around my neck.

elknut1 01-09-2005 08:41 AM

Some mighty interesting comments here, as to the do's and why not's. I am amazed how many feel the same as I though!! I don't carry them and won't be anytime soon, not even in CO.

gselkhunter---It sounds as if you're suggesting that if we don't pack optics around, then we're not burning up much shoe leather. Quite the contrary there amigo!! :) If you were to add up all the elk taken by all that have reponded to this question it would exceed well over 100 animals. Now that's pretty good, so why now tell them elk can't be hunted effectively without the use of binos? I'm not saying for you not to use them, just question there value & neccessity for bowhunters hunting elk! So why is it you feel that optics are needed in your type of hunts, instead of your calling them to achieve location, or to hunt in areas they frequent at certain times of the day in the form of "blind setups". I find it much more productive to have the elk come to me instead of me trying to sneak in on a non vocal bunch.---I love a good Call&Stalk though!!! :)

I too find that we hear elk 95% of the time before we ever see them, either sounding off on their own or we get them going.---ElkNut1

gselkhunter 01-09-2005 09:00 AM

How many 12,000ft ridges do you cross in a day there? The basins here are huge, we are talking a lot of miles. The elk only use part of it. If you gain and then give up that much altitude, then gain again you will understand. Binoculars allow me to work the parts that have elk. I am not into wasting my time, or my energy. Altitude will beat you up bad. It is hard on me and I love being up there.
Gselkhunter