Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What do we do now?

Old 01-01-2005, 09:33 PM

Default What do we do now?

I don't know how i am going to make it til september!!!! The only thing that i am going to do, is go out a few times a week to practice with my bow, and i want to get to 75 pounds. If i can do that, i think i will be more than ready when my time comes.... that is if i can survive for 8 more months!

AHHHHRRRRGGGGG!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do we do now?

Do like I do, Shoot lots of 3-D, piss off the neighbors with the elk calls and go get a gobbler or a bear in the spring. I feel for ya. Elk withdrawls are terrible. It is a good thing we check in on the forum. It has become somewhat of a support group.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:20 AM

75 pounds is a bit much, id stick with 60 - 65
Old 01-02-2005, 12:48 AM

really? I already shoot 65, and i have no problem with holding it back for long periods of time, even in the cold weather. What would be the down falls if i could manage 70-75 in cold weather for a good long time?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:58 AM

idaho hunter 58,

I wouldn't say there are any disadvantages to shooting 75 other that the fact that it can be bad on a shoulder. Unless 75 is just too much for you. I shoot my bow at 70 lbs. and can hold it back for quite a long time. However the next bow I buy is probably going to only be 60 lbs. maxed out. This is simply because you don't need anything more for nowadays bows, they produce so much energy you just don't need ro use 75 lbs. That's just my opinion though, so feel free to shoot whatever makes you feel more comfortable.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

It is funny most people think that if you go higher # bow that there is no advantages. I my self shoot 78# and a full length arrow nd a 150 magnus. I do have to put my foot up to pull out my arrows :}. I am looking for a new bow that is 80to 90# I will take a trip over seas soon .I will allso use the bow here in MT for elk and all. I have never saw a bow that is to strong do any thing like a rifle blow off a leg or anything like that.
I will get my bow target shoot at 90# then turn it down so i can draw the bow very very slow like in shooting situation.If you can draw a bow slow like that there should be no big deal on the poundageyou shot.

TRY this put your arm out strate like your going to shot and draw your bow slowly if you can do this than you are shooting a good poundage for you,if you cant trun your bow down.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I don't know if i will get to that point, but i will certainly practice and build my "bow muscles" and i will see where it takes me. Why not?

Now i just got to get a good practice schedule, so i don't slack off.... lol

Old 01-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Now I will fully admit up front I am not a bow expert. I have been hunting with and shooting a bow for 3 seasons now. But my experience has taught me a very elementary lesson and that is the higher the poundage the faster the arrow. The faster the arrow the flatter the shot. Flatter shots, at least for me, means better accuracy. Better accuracy means more confidence. So for me higher poundage does equal an advantage. I very comfortably shoot a 70 lb. bow and I wouldn't turn it down ever as long as I am physically able to comfortably draw it.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not treu there rather be huntin. It all depends on the bow My Alpine at 57 lbs is 20 ft/sec faster than my PSE was 70 lbs and they both were shot through a cronograph the same day. Same arrows tips fletchings and rest. So it was all bow not poundage.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I hunt coyotes and jack rabbits thru winter,then I go fishing.Then by ice off it is time I can go after turkey's and black bear.Then summer is here and I go shoot gophers.Then permits are back and you start planning and gear check lists.Then it's scouting and archery,then the first frost and snow in the mountains,elk season is here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.