Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Brock Ray---FAKE--better built world of outdoors >

Brock Ray---FAKE--better built world of outdoors

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Brock Ray---FAKE--better built world of outdoors

Old 12-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Brock Ray---FAKE--better built world of outdoors

Howdy guys,
Been away for a while--back in my state of origin (WV)--hunted white tails--fairly uneventful but fun, anyway, Merry Christmas/Happy New Year to all

I'll probably post this on the deer hunting forum too (for more exposure), but I wanted your alls trusted opinion first

I guided flyfishing some this past summer and got a call from an outfitter who was going to be featured on a tv show--Better Built world of Outdoors--Brock Ray--the host--for a fly fishing episode--half an episode actually. He wanted me to row the camera guy down the river (Missouri) while he took Brock and some guy that won a silent auction to fish with BROCK RAY THE GREAT OUTDOORSMAN. I agreed.
The camera guy was likeable enough and, of course, we spent a lot of time together. Brock and this other guy did not know how to flyfish, which is fine except, he was doing a tv show about flyfishing (this episode anyhow). So what would happen was this--the outfitter would actually hook the fish, then hand the rod to Brock, then the camera guy would say "ACTION", then Brock would commence to whoop and holler and talk about what was happening--which was him catching fish--which was not altogether what was happening. it was disgusting to watch in real time.
Worse was that to get close ups and other angles, the outfitters kid, who was also in my boat, would get out after we would stop, take the end of Brocks line (fishing line) and run downstream while Brock was on camera fighting this "fish"--get it. after expressing my feelings about this whole thing to the camera guy when we were out of earshot, he told me that he--Brock--does that kind of stuff a lot.
He also said that Brock would not eat wild meat--just takes the head of whatever. I could not believe it. If I seem kind of angry its b/c for one thing flyfishing is another sport that I love and I feel was degraded by this lying bung hole--plus not utilizing the animal personally for more than the mount is also repulsive. I was watching one of his shows last night,--by the way-- he always wears a big hat b/c he is like 5 ft nothing and has napolean syndrome--Do you think this stuff is predominant in these shows????--most of which, I enjoy on TV. Last night on his--He arrowed a whitetail and instead of watching what happened to the deer, instantly--INSTANTLY--when he released the arrow--he turned toward the camera and started saying "wow, I got him, yeah"--right--fake. then on the second half he gut shot one with a rifle (you could see the impact) plus they wouldn't show the downed animal--just barely the head and only for a moment. Anyway I'm thinking of emailing all of his sponsors, not to say I'm gonna boycott their products, just to ask them if they realize what a jerk this guy is and to tell them that I'll will mention that fact to other real outdoorsman--sorry that this thread is so long--what do you guys think?
Old 12-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brock Ray---FAKE--better built world of outdoors

I for one do not like his show. I never liked his personality. I always figured he was a fake. I would just like to know how he ever got his job?
Old 12-25-2004, 09:11 PM

thats sick
Old 12-25-2004, 09:25 PM

who da hell is Brock Ray?

RA
Old 12-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

RA,
he is the host of one of those outdoor shows--I've seen it on the outdoor channel and men;s channel--did not know myself until that day of fishin'

Wolfkiller,
got it by just marketing himself ( I asked him in disbelief) starting with local companies--bull$hitting--he's fro AL or somewhere

you guys think it would do good to email his sponsors? as was suggested above?

Thanks
Hillbilly --Chad
Old 12-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

That's kinda sad to hear!! Problem is there's no doubt many on those Outdoor Shows would fit into a similar catergory. -- Besides I really like that OIL SKIN HAT he wears. I even went to the extent of emailing him to ask where I could pick one up myself. He never answered back. This was 1-1/2 years ago. ---- So if anyone knows where to get one give me a holler!!!! Or A Gift!!!!<grin>

As far as contacting his Sponsors, I don't think it's a good idea. Don't you think they already know the type of individual he is, as well as many others in the industry. Besides it wouldn't do any good. They'd just think you were jealous of him or something.-- But I hear and understand your beef with him. Just another Impostor!!! ElkNut1
Old 12-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

TV shows...
Old 12-26-2004, 08:27 PM

As stated in the original post the show was "scripted". Not at all uncommon considering it's a TV show and they can edit until they get the exact frames needed for the audience. Most scenes are "staged", as in the usual shot of the archer in the stand drawing back his bow and the camera angle is in front and a little low. Ever hunted with a camera between you and the deer (and you're in a tree)? Next time you watch any outdoor/hunting show, ask yourself where the camera is in relation to the shooter or the game. You will be amazed what you can discern. After all, its' only entertainment! I watched a camera crew film a show on bass fishing a few years back. They fished 8 hours for just the right footage, and they hooked/released and rehooked/released and rehooked/released the same bass for more "A" footage as they called it. Additionally, a national hunter (whose name you would recognize) did a goose hunting show here. The birds weren't flying too well that day, but they did get a few. Near the end of the morning, they would throw a dead goose in the air, roll camera, fire a few guns, and film the already dead goose hitting the ground. Never forget, its' only entertainment. Have a great day.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

If what you said is true then that is a real shame. I mean a hunting/fishing show should be about how it really happens. I can go to the theatre and see a scripted movie. I won't watch the show anymore. That's why I like the Primos guys, they are the opposite of that.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:44 PM

I hate to burst your bubble... but it is a TV Show. What would make you think anything on TV is "real"?

Great thing about it is you don't have to watch it, and if enough people don't like it they'll lose funding and pull it. Nobody ever said it was real though, even if the theme is hunting and fishing.

I personally find the guy annoying, and even with the hat barely comes up to the chest of the guys he's with. I'd just be psyched you made some money off the guy, and if you were lucky enough to get some footage that may keep you busy next year guiding "real" fishermen consider yourslef lucky.

Quick Reply: Brock Ray---FAKE--better built world of outdoors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.