HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Bullet weight in 7mm magnum for elk? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/83609-bullet-weight-7mm-magnum-elk.html)

Hunter_59 12-22-2004 12:52 PM

Bullet weight in 7mm magnum for elk?

I just bought a Winchester model 70 in 7mm magnum and have been at the range shooting. I have zeroed in at 225 yards and am shooting 2" groups. I do not reload and am shooting Remington Core Lokt 150 gr. ptd. soft point bullets. They seem to shoot very accurate but is this bullet weight heavy enough for trophy bulls? If not, what grain should I be shooting. Thanks, and Merry Christmas! :D:D

ths78 12-22-2004 12:56 PM

RE: Bullet weight in 7mm magnum for elk?

Any bullet weight from 150 gr and up in 7 M (.284 calliber) will have sufficient sectional density to give you the penetration that you'll want. Although corelokts work on elk, they are much more suited for deer-size game. On the chance of a lifetime, make sure your bullet is the best you can get. I'd look into the nosler partition from winchester.

Hunter_59 12-22-2004 01:01 PM

Thanks for the info! If I draw, this will be the hunt of a lifetime and hopefully will get the chance of a lifetime. I am doing my homework now to eliminate any mistakes. I've heard alot about the Nosler partition bullets and will be checking them out.

stubblejumper 12-22-2004 01:30 PM

I have killed several elk using the 140gr partition.

hillbillyhunter1 12-22-2004 02:50 PM

you might also look at the nosler accubonds

skeeter 7MM 12-22-2004 03:27 PM

160 gr bullets have been mostly used for my Moose and Elk hunting needs. Personally have used Failsafe, Nosler Partion and Nosler Accubond in 160 gr version in a .284, all have proved capable of this task. Others you can consider are the Barnes TSX, Speers Grand Slam and TBBC. All can be found in over the counter ammo (ie: Federal, Winchester, Nitrex).

IMHO the corelokts are best left for the smaller game.

Colorado Bob 12-22-2004 06:22 PM

My buddies here use 160 grain bullets on elk out of their 7 Mag's. I think a premium bullet should be used. They have killed deer & elk with standard bullets (speer & core-lokts) but seems to be a little messy. I think with the speed of the 7 Mag---you are pushing the envelope of standard bullets. CB

James B 12-22-2004 09:05 PM

I have taken Elk with the 140 partition as well. I like the 175 grain for moose though.

losthwy 12-22-2004 10:38 PM

I'd go with the 160 gr. in a premuim bullet Barnes, Failsafe, A-Frame.

stubblejumper 12-22-2004 10:38 PM

have taken Elk with the 140 partition as well. I like the 175 grain for moose though.
I used the 140gr partition for moose as well.I find moose are actually easier to kill than elk.They may not drop at the shot but they never go far.They either stand in place until they fall of bed down very close to die.Elk are much more likely to run great distances if not hit properly.