Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Always an elk hunter...

Old 12-12-2004, 11:11 PM

Default Always an elk hunter...

I remember way back when I was in Junior High School sitting in the library reading a Field & Stream or something like that. I grew up in the Midwest and hunted deer and small game. I picked up this magazine only to find a stupid elk on the cover. I hated that all the articles were not about deer. For whatever reason I decided to read the article, and it honestly changed my life forever. I was mesmorized with the story of as bugeling monster coming across the high mountain park snorting and growling. I had a vision in my head and I have never shaken it. When I finished the article I knew right then the rockies were where I wanted to live. When it came time for college, the choice was simple. University of Montana. I was late getting to college but once I hunted elk in the rockies, that was it, there was no other place I wanted to live. I could make a much better living somewhere else, but the living wouldn't be better. I have always been an elk hunter, just took awhile to figure it out.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:28 PM

Default RE: Always an elk hunter...

Good, It is good to know what you REALLY REALLY want!

I'm serious, sometimes time passes before it becomes apparent.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I was six my grandparents gave me my first air rifle. I was hooked for life on hunting. Hunting anything and everything. Next was my first shotgun from my dad then my first 22 from my grandpa. Its been a great life I don't care if its a deer an elk a bear a moose or the real big stuff. If I am hunting I am happy. Love fishing and camping just as much. Grand that you made it to your way of life as well. Many of the younger guys will never see the kind of hunting us older folks have seen although I hope things go well enough that they do . Wish I could sleep as well as I can hunt. Ain't gonna happen.[:@]
Old 12-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was born back east and started my hunting carrer in the back yard of my home. I got stationed in Mt Home Idaho in 89. I started hunting elk the first year and have loved it ever since. Our elk season starts Aug. 30th. It turns out that my birthday is Aug. 29th. So every year on my birthday I am heading up the mountain with my bow and pack. Something told me the day I was born, that I needed out now. I know the reason why...........The next day was elk season.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I moved out here for the mountains and the trout fishing, always loved the West. Started hunting and found out I like the hunting even more than the fishing. If nothing else the scenery is enough to make it a good day.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Came west in 77 & have no desire to leave. Only problem is that way to many of us out here now. Kind of getting crowded. Elk hunting in the fall, skiing in the winter, back-packing & trout fishing in the summer, springtime is Merriams. Yep the Rockies are heaven on earth IMO.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

I started hunting with my stepdad before I could walk. Literally I've got pictures of me wearing an orange cap in deer camp before my first birthday. But elk hunting is what I'm really hooked on for life. My family hunted mostly deer when I was a kid but never elk. My uncle invited me on my first elk hunt when I was 16 and we didn't see any hair at all, at least not elk hair. The next few years went like that and I gave up on elk hunting, I actually thought it was pretty boring. After college I went on a limited entry hunt in a premier unit with a different uncle during the rut. I'm sure you all know what happened next.....

I figured out that my first uncle is one of the best mule deer hunters I've ever seen but didn't know squat about hunting elk. I read everything I could get my hands on. I bought videos, calls, and even a bow just so I could hunt elk during the rut. I went on numerous scouting trips by myself just to get familiar with how to find and get close to elk. Even if I don't have a tag I'll go to limited entry units during the rut once in a while just to practicing calling and locating elk. I've learned to be careful though because you can sometimes upset hunters that do have tags and sometimes the fish cops wonder what you're "really up to." I've got a lot to learn as I am pretty much 100% self taught but I just can't get enough of it. I've done it religiously for the last 7 years and hunting elk during the rut in the Rockies is just as good as it gets for me.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:36 PM

I was born and raised in the black hills (wyo,S. Dak, Neb) where I grew up the whole area almost shuts down and migrates to the rockies or big horns for elk season, I was lucky and got to tag along as soon as my older brother was old enough for his first tag, he wasnt as lucky and had to wait until he was old enough for a tag About the third year out my dad and I jumped a 7x7, that was simply huge and trailed/stalked him for the better part of two days through the black timber until he finally gave us the slip for good, following that monster through the timber sometimes as close as 25yds (my dad had a 20min staredown w/ him at 25yds but couldnt see anything but his eye and horns)was all it took. two days of that, elk down or not was a success. The next year another local shot a 408 bull in that exact same basin, no doubt it was the same bull. I never did get my brain back from that one, still chase him at night sometimes.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey mulie,
I've been away for a while--back in WV--hunted whities back there--passed on half a dozen small bucks and ended up shooting a couple of does for the family back there. anyway--did you get your late season cow?
merry christmas
hb
Old 12-23-2004, 09:36 PM

Nope, never went again. Just couldn't get away from work. Up early and coming home late. Cleaned all my gear and stowed it and finally decided it was over. I'm not going back to the midwest either. I spent the entire fall right here in the Bitterroots. I got big plans for next fall. Right know I just want to get into the new year. I'm starting to hanker getting my boat out, long wait for that though. Merry Christmas to you as well. How did your WV hunt go?

Quick Reply: Always an elk hunter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.