Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Min caliber for Elk?

Old 08-11-2002, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Min caliber for Elk?

How about a 25-06??????????
Old 08-11-2002, 10:24 PM

Ain't the .25-06 a varmint rig? (grin)
Old 08-11-2002, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It can be used for varmits, but lets say a hunter is in the woods and hunting white-tail with a 25-06. Lets say a nice bull comes by maybe at 100 yards away, what do you think? Bobby

****************** 34 DAYS TILL BOW SEASON *************************
Old 08-12-2002, 12:38 AM

IMO, the minimum i would ever hunt elk with would be a 243 loaded with a quality 100 grain bullet (but only if I could shoot it well) In my opinion the 270 with a 150 gr partition, grand slam, or X bullet would be the perfect elk rifle, right now im shooting a 7x57 loaded with 120 gr X-bullets, but last year i shot my bull with a single 120 grain ballistic tip, worked great, most of the guys i hunt with shoot the same thing, 30-06 with 165 grain bullet, but a 140, or a 150 grain bullet would do great as well.

Scott

e-mail me [email protected]
Old 08-12-2002, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

I use 150 noslers for elk in my 270, i shot a big bodied 7x8 two years ago, 1 shot 1 dead elk, to tracking, the 270 will do fine. Im going to see how my rifle likes the new remington 140 grain premier ultra corelokt and see what they do to an elk if im able to shoot one this year.

http://members.aol.com/kleuenberg/hunting.html
Old 08-12-2002, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Colorado DOW requires 24 caliber or larger to hunt elk and deer.
I don't think that if these rifles were not capable of cleanly taking elk that they would allow their use. Also for everyone that thinks you should use a 180gr 30-06 or bigger, what does a 12 year old boy use for his first time out with his dad elk hunting. Most grown men can certanly handle the recoil from that round but it probably would make a small cnild start flinching while practicing. I know my 30-06 felt like a mule kicking me when I was young.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:28 AM

This is a really interesting topic. I hunt Montana exclusively (because I haven't the funds or the right reason to travel anywhere else), and I know alot of guys who use .270 for elk. For years I used a 7mm Mag., but now I have a .338 mag, which has become my primary elk gun. My reason for selecting a caliber like that is because I know my weaknesses. I'm not a great shot. I can usually hit a shoulder, but occasionally things go wrong, and with a .270 that means a long blood trail (at best) or losing the bull (at worst). If I hit a bull with the .338, nearly anywhere, he goes down, and that gives me the comfort to be able to take longer and riskier shots.

My advice is, if you're a good shot and have confidence that you can hit where you aim (even when staring down a 6x6 at 200 yds.), a .270 is fine. If you have any doubts at all, I'd go bigger.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Gairdneri put it pretty good. I don't think anyones saying a 270 can't kill an elk, it can. But its just a matter of how limited you want to be. Sure some of us go out kill elk with a stick and string but only within about 50 yds and a perfectly placed shot. Here in Utah the success rate is only about 17% with a rifle for general bull on public land so anything I can use to improve my odds I will. I have taken elk with a 7mm mag and 300 win that I wouldn't have even thought about shootin with a 270, those years I would have otherwise gone home empty handed. Thats why they made the bigger calibers, they shoot further with more force. Getting an animal this difficult to hunt will very often be determined by the rifle in your hand. It can give you more options and give you a little more room for error.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Gairdneri put it pretty good. I don't think anyones saying a 270 can't kill an elk, it can. But its just a matter of how limited you want to be. Sure some of us go out kill elk with a stick and string but only within about 50 yds and a perfectly placed shot. Here in Utah the success rate is only about 17% with a rifle for general bull on public land so anything I can use to improve my odds I will. I have taken elk with a 7mm mag and 300 win that I wouldn't have even thought about shootin with a 270, those years I would have otherwise gone home empty handed. Thats why they made the bigger calibers, they shoot further with more force. Getting an animal this difficult to hunt will very often be determined by the rifle in your hand. It can give you more options and give you a little more room for error.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The larger mag. calibers will have more punch at longer ranges, but that shouldn't make anyone believe that they can or should get sloppy with bullet placement. I've seen elk lost when hit by .300 Win. Mag., which is enough to show me that bullet placement is still crucial to success. If you're buying a mag. for long distance shots, you better be practicing to at least those same distances.

Quick Reply: Min caliber for Elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.