HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   External Elk calls (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/82480-external-elk-calls.html)

gselkhunter 12-13-2004 02:04 PM

External Elk calls

Here is a little tip, an external elk call will stop working from spit. The instructions say use your teeth for pressure against the reed. Too much spit, instead I use my lip. The reed stays dry and works without hanging up as much. Of course it is hard not to salivate when that big bull is coming in! If you have it hang up, lift the reed a little and blow under it. This will clear the reed and you are back in the game. This works on all of them that I have used. Sceery, Primos, Carlton The thing you have to learn to handle is the vibration of the reed on your lip, it will get you!
Gselkhunter

Elkcrazy8 12-13-2004 02:25 PM

RE: External Elk calls

gselkhunter, I have had awsome luck with the carlton estrouse whine call. This one seems the least likely to clog with spit and I use it come crunch time. I know what you are talking about with the clogging thing. I have made some of the most horendous sounds when this happens. Of course Copenhagen doesn't agree with mouth calls( euwwww gross)

gselkhunter 12-13-2004 03:40 PM

Elkcrazy8, Copenhagen eh, will that work on Rudolph? That is a very good call, major improvement over the old call. I use the old one mostly and the Primos calls. My most used calls are my mouth calls. I realy like my hands free and I am much better with my mouth call than the externals any way. I can do any of the calls Elknut1 talks about with a mouth call. Practice, practice, practice!
Gselkhunter

elknut1 12-13-2004 07:41 PM

That's weird, I've never had a cow call spit up on me!!! :D

Actually I rarely use reeded mouth calls, gselkhunter is referrering to Vol-1-2. In vol-4 I use mostly mouth calls for the same sounds I was making in the first 2 videos. I was showing that the sounds to imitate could be made with both styles. --- Then there's the "Hoochie Daddy" all great elk hunters need one of those!!! ElkNut1

Elknewbie 12-13-2004 08:17 PM

Hoochie daddy I thought it was the hoochie mamma by primos but I could of course be wrong. Haven't pick one up yet but plan on it.

elknut1 12-13-2004 09:50 PM

Elknewbie---I was just yarning!! There's no such thing as Hoochie Daddy, it's really the Hochie Mama by Primos. Didn't mean to confuse anyone!! Carry-On!! ElkNut1

Elkcrazy8 12-14-2004 03:50 AM

The hoochie mama is a pretty good call. I like to use the reeds also and can produce all of the sounds with it but it is hard to chew at the same time as using the reed. In my ealier days of using the reed(5 yrs old) I used to imitate roosters, pea-cocks crows etc. Calling elk came easy as I was accustomed to making all possible sounds with it. The reed is the most versitile of them all as you can switch back and forth from cow to bull without hesitation. With the reed it is also easier to "throw" your voice from one direction to another by directing your hand. I prefer the reed in competition also as you can make yourself sound like several elk in different directions. Mix it at the same time with a hoochie mama in your hand and through in a few blow style calls and it sounds like a whole herd of elk wound up.

gselkhunter 12-14-2004 05:19 AM

The best trick is to have the mouth call in your mouth at all times, and still be able to use the external. You can switch back and forth between external and mouth and make a whole herd. I will go so far as to use 2 mouth calls and 3 external calls on a bull, it gets to be a pretty good juggling act. Elknewbie the more you play with these toys at home and get comfortable with them, the more you will be able to do in the field. Can you go to far, sure in the field, at home NEVER, OK maybe when I wake the baby and get kicked out. Elkcrazy8, have we ever called against each other in competition? As far as Majors, I have been in Salt Lake, Portland, Las Vegas, Denver[RMEF] I am rated Senior[pro] Division. Best finish was Salt Lake #7, normal in RMEF 8-12. In Colo. 1-3. I have a couple of things I do most don't or can't and the RMEF judges don't care for, Colo. judges love. The best part is the elk love it. Elknewbie learn to use both external and mouth call to the best of your ability, and buy Elknut1's tapes in what ever form. I did! And again Practice, practice, practice, you can never practice enough, or be good enough, reason, there is always more to learn.
Gselkhunter
Elknewbie Hoochie Daddy is Elknut1

idahoelkinstructor 12-14-2004 09:24 AM

gselkhunter did you compeat in Salt Lake last spring I? I compeated last spring in Salt Lake at the ISE show, and will be their againg this next spring. Are you sponsored by a call manufacture? Hope to see you around and compeat against ya its sounds like your one heck of a caller.

Elkcrazy8 12-14-2004 01:44 PM

gselkhunter, I have only called in contests here locally, I am heading to Portland at the end of February. I have called against guys who have placed in the Portland and Las Vegas contests and beat them here locally. I am wondering how the format works in Portland, not knowing the format could be my biggest downfall. I started using reeds for turkies when I was knee high to a grasshopper hunting back in PA and New York. I started getting serious about elk when I moved out west in 89 and was able to mimick any sound that I have heard an elk make. I figured that I would enter the mens division to get my feet wet and go from there. I know for sure that I will at least walk away from there having had a good time with people who share a common interest. I feel pretty confident in my calling abilities and have a couple of things that I do that drives the crowd nuts,(hopefully the juges). It worked the last 3 years in row up in Stanley anyway, and I paid for my gas to get to the State Championship archery tournament with the winnings from the contest. If you are heading to Portland let me know and maybe we can meet for a beer or something. Catch ya later..Elkcrazy8

P.S. I will take my chew out for this one LOL