Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Maine Moose outfitters?

Old 12-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Maine Moose outfitters?

Has anyone been to Maine and hunted Moose ? Ive been sending for a Maine Moose tag for 4 years know and next year might be the year so I was wanting to know if anybody has any guides or hunt areas they like best.
I would rather do it myself hunt but this is a once in a lifetime hunt to Maine so I will go with a guide. Thank you for any info you guys can give me
Old 12-09-2004, 08:41 PM

Default RE: Maine Moose outfitters?

check out swaybackcamps.com
Old 12-10-2004, 07:19 AM

I've been applying for a Maine moose hunting permit since I graduated high school in 1985. I've yet to be drawn.... I've never been lucky at lottery stuff.. Good luck, with only 10% of the permits being offered to nonresidents you have to be pretty damn lucky!!! I remember hearing something about a law suit this year in one of the western states making it illegal for states to limit available permits to nonresidents. If this changes things in Maine maybe we'll have a better chance at drawing... It should be interesting to see what Maine does next year, because the lawsuit decision occured after Maine's application period was complete???????? Time will tell.
Jim B.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:56 AM

I was fortunate to draw a maine moose tag last year, out of state, and after only two years of application. Luck of the draw - and believe me, there were some folks that were none too happy with me!

I hunted with Straight Arrow Outfitters - don't know if they are still around because I can't seem to find their website again. I specifically was looking for a "backcountry" hunt - I didn't want any parts of road hunting - which is what a lot of the guys up there do. I had a great hunt and took a 55" bull.

Don't worry, if you do draw, you will be inundated with mail from all the outfitters in the area in which you have your tag.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the info guys thanks.