HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/79297-elk-forum-what.html)

elknut1 11-16-2004 07:33 AM

Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

Many have asked or mentioned why "Hunting Sites" (this one in particular) are boring!! I'm sure many of us belong to several different ones. The ones such as this one on Big-Game animals covers too broad a range. If you check out other sites that narrow it down, to "Elk Forums"-- "Deer Forum" "Goat Forum" -- and so on, then you don't get such a wide variety of crap that most hunters don't care about all balled into one!!

If this was seperated more subjects of interest would stay up near the top longer and those that participated could really get into it. This proves true on many other "Sites".

For instance, I enjoy talking elk, not bears, sheep, fishing, mountain lions and so on. There's too wide a variety happening here that you have to sift through everything before you really find what interest you. Of course this is just my opinion. (but a good one!--Grin!)

Take a good luck at all the Topics right now! How many interest you as individuals enough to participate in?? I'll bet not many!! The track record proves that!!---So what do you all think? Could this be part of the problem? ElkNut1

ELKampMaster 11-16-2004 08:51 AM

RE: Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

It is a possibility; however, I do find posts on Moose, Caribou, and Grizzly/Brownie hunting interesting though. IMHO, deer (mulies or otherwise) are not BIG game and besides they have their own forum elsewhere.

In any case, people do have to p-a-r-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-e for it to work. There was a lot of participation 2 years ago under the "Big Game" banner. I think the mix a folks nowadays is a substantially more voyeuristic than they used to be --- just wanna watch and dream, but not do anything.

EKM

txhunter58 11-16-2004 12:13 PM

I agree with elknut. I seem to spend more time in forums that have more specific topics.

There is truth to what Elkampmaster says, however, that is true of all forums. When a new forum is created, and people are getting to know each other, it is more exciting and the posts seem more useful/alive/intersting (pick one). However, time has a way of making any forum more work than it was at first. After all, how many times do you want to hear the same post or answer the same questions (What is the best elk gun, what is the best elk bullet, ............)? I think most here do a good job of that, especially Elkampmaster, but it CAN become tedious. I dissagree that there "used to be" good people on here, but most left. I think there are good people with great knowledge on every forum I visit, this included. It just gets harder to make it fresh.

Howler 11-16-2004 04:11 PM

I guess I don't mind having a "Big Game" forum, I guess because I find it easy to scan down the topics and find the topics that interest me, and there is more to Big Game hunting than just elk. But, if you seperated out elk, than what, seperate moose, antelope, mule deer, etc. Now there would be some boring forums by themselves!
Hey EKM, did you know that Toto land, KS., has the great BIG turkey listed as BIG game:D

hillbillyhunter1 11-16-2004 05:13 PM

would you guys mind providing the names of some of the otehr sites (the ones you like best) and do most of you use the same or about the same names there? I haven't used any site like this before this season and I must say that I have found it rather helpful as a novice elk hunter, plus I found some people who I hunted with this year and I can tell you that that to me is very important because its hard starting hunting in a totally new area by yourself--and so far it has paid off--not with elk yet but hopefully I'll get to go ONE MORE TIME. Thanks to all
HB

ELKampMaster 11-16-2004 06:11 PM

HB,

Try www.accuratereloading.com --- it has a bit sharper edge to it but WAAAY more traffic in the realm of gun-hunting. Truly a world wide hunting site and NO ADVERTISERS.
=================

Howler,

Yeah, when there isn't much big game at hand, most states take the biggest cirtters they got and call it "big game". Turkeys? Wuff, that is a stretch!
=================

Personally, loyalty is fine and all, but I'm gonna start shopping around ---- or just skip it all together. My neice has a 12 year old boy interested in hunting. Start handing off everything I know into him. Start him out on rabbits and birds and work up from there, gawd, might even find myself involved in a deer hunt again. [:'(][:'(]

Even so it might be WAY more rewarding than arguing with the PAMB's on some theoretical points they're gonna use hunting (usually whimpy guns or shoestring hunts out West) only to have them disappear never to let us know what the hell happened with the advice given or discussions covered.

EKM

elknut1 11-16-2004 07:16 PM

Yes Guys, there's many "Sites" out there that cater to specific individual forums, whether it be deer,elk,bear,lion,moose,turkeys,etc. Just look how the Bowhunting forum flourishes right here on this site. Most are deer hunters. Then there's one for turkey hunters as well, and they're always moving along.

When forums are seperated you can pick the one you wish to participate in knowing full well what the subject is going to be about! In my case, I love talking elk, not interested much in anything else. --- When it comes to african animals or buffalo or some exotic, heck I couldn't care less. The same goes for a lot of you, ekm, now he loves African type stuff and talking big bore calibers, that's great for him but not me and many others. Some of you want to talk only moose or mtn.lions and such, well that's great, there's forums around that deal with those specific subjects and many hunters you can connect with.

This is the only reason I brought it up, not trying to start a debate. I see how well other sites do using specific forums, if you will!!

ekm---With a post like that it's not hard to believe you have a hard time finding guys to fill your camp that think and feel the way you do. It's sad too, because you have a lot of good qualities but they're over ridden at times with hurting comments directed straight at others. Just because folks think different than you, doesn't mean they or their thoughts should be discarded so freely, aftre all it is things they talk about that are important to them, as African game is to you. It's food for thought, hope you can digest this in the right way.

For those interested in forums that are split up in different animal groups, send me an email and I'll give you a couple to check out and see if it's right for you. Thanks--ElkNut1
[email protected]

muley69 11-16-2004 07:30 PM

I agree with txhunter58, once your on a site for awhile it becomes less and less interesting. Too many post by the same people also waters down a site. You get to a point were you have already heard their thoughts and arguments and it gets redundant. Additionally, I don't really see the logic of having just an elk thread. Part of what makes a forum work is variety. I have all but quit going to the bowhunting forum because of the "I wounded one" post, it just gets old. People grow weary of the same topics and posters and move on.

Colorado Bob 11-16-2004 07:39 PM

Elk does seem to dominate here. But with that said, there have been good posts on other subjects. Oryx & Caribou come to mind. I've got a winter caribou hunt lined up for 2005 because of this site. Lots of posts about it on the Regional sectional of this site. Also there have been good post about Oryx hunts in New Mexico.

But it seems like ELK is King--here.

EKM-----As far as mulies not being big game. Man I've got my heart set on a big ole timberline buck----Hopefull, I draw a tag this year. I think it's a harder hunt than any other.

Elkcrazy8 11-16-2004 09:44 PM

Elk will always be king