Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 New direction!  Too bad too! >

New direction! Too bad too!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New direction! Too bad too!

Old 11-10-2004, 05:31 PM

Default New direction! Too bad too!

Well, we've tried to be generous, but some just ruin it for the others to follow....

It's been an interesting journey over time....

We've taken folks from this forum.
We've taken first time hunters and a kid (rewarding for about 10 minutes).
We've taken folks who have never slept on the ground before.
We've taken folks who seemingly don't know the meaning of hard, strenuous work (as a pre-condition).
We've taken folks who've never hunted elk before, arrive and think they'll tell us how things will be done.
We've taken the "short cut" artists (show up late, grab elk, and leave early).
We've taken folks that don't know the difference between "entertainment" and "adventure".

One has to go thru too many "duds" to find the "good ones". Most these folks we'eve dealt with thru the years need to go back to deer hunting in the local patch or maybe varmit hunting or maybe just bench rest target shooting --- something fits in a Sunday afternoon and allows the car and home to be close by.

Well, thru the course of time the "cream does rise to the top" and after meeting with my senior elk camp members and discussing what we like, what we don't like, and what would be more worthwhile, we've "closed ranks" and decided to chart a new direction....

We are going to a smaller group of hardened, capable, work loving, horse wise, saavy elk hunters. Some young, some old, some rural, some urban, some non-resident. As for the rest of them, well, "good bye and happy trails to ya all". There will be 4 to 6 of us and we will entertain ONE outsider every other year or so, even if our numbers drop to 2 or 3 or 4 in any given year.

If I was an outfitter, then I would charge every cent they charge and MORE!
We are soooo looking forward to next year!

Just venting I guess [>:][>:].... any of you went thru anything like this? [:'(][:'(]

EKM
Old 11-10-2004, 06:09 PM
jjt

Default RE: New direction! Too bad too!

i am lucky in this aspect
when we loose a hunter in or party it is a great loss to the hole group
we all hunt in much the same way. we hunt hard usually on foot and we may venture up to 5 miles into the back country in a day
if someone does not make it back for the night we worry very little knowing that we all could survive for a day or two in the back country(most of us have) when we drop an elk we have horses to pack or we all gang up and get it out on our backs
it is a great camp and i wouldnot trade it for anything in the world

this year was the last year for one of the hunters in camp (he is moving to CO and i can tell you we already miss him in camp
Old 11-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

The new hunters seem to peter-out after the 1st year. We hunt hard & it seems to be too much work for most.

As far as this board----I'm a little miffed. I've been PM quite a few times over the past years. I've answered questions galore. Then after they go on the hunt----not a peep from them. No---I got one, had a good time, you were right on the weather, etc. Just get pumped for information---then go to heck. I guess good manners & being polite are things in the past.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Colorado, not sure I have ever heard from you directly, but I may have read a post of yours in the archive. I am very thankful for any and all information. Would never want anyone to think otherwise. I don't always take suggestions, but I will always listen and then use judgement for the best course of action. I have read many a good piece of advice on this site and hope to read some more.

EKM.....
I feel ya. Doesn't have to be a hunting trip either. I have found that any time you undertake an endeavor, the right mix of individuals is essential. Be it a ski trip, Vegas trip or hunting trip. Whether on our lease here, or on our trips to your great state, we try to make sure we are all on the same page. But even then things oft go awry.....whole best laid plans.......mice and men sort of thing.
Can be very discouraging. Seems that as long as the core of the group is solid, all will be fine. Not sure I would ever be talked into the "taking stranger" thing as you guys have. Need to know that either they are with us or not.
Hope things get better with your new guidelines. Maybe just a little time with like minded souls will rejuvenate you.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:17 PM

99% of my hunting is done solo. Camp solo, scout solo. I'll hook up with a buddy or two a few times a season, but I prefer to fly alone. Some people I know won't even go hunting alone, don't understand it.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ELKampMaster I feel your pain. I have been burned three times before. I will never take anyone other than family with me to my honey holes. Live & learn.[]
Old 11-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good Luck with your new direction.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:55 PM
jjt

Some people I know won't even go hunting alone, don't understand it.
i find this to be the norm when i tell people we camp together but hunt all day by ourselves all alone in the big bad woods they just dont get it

i have bivowac (sp?) camped a few times but i find the night life to be better spent BSing with friends and family

also my wife goes nuts when i go out by myself for longer than a day or two

and back to the campfire to talk about the days and years past always makes for a great night
Old 11-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

EKM---I'm going to be completely honest here in the impression I get when I read your thread here and some of the problems you've come across with various members of your hunting group. You seem to have rules and standards that ones have to meet before they're excepted in your group. In other words you're not letting folks be themselves, they have to be someone they're not, to try and fit in to your so called "members" only group. (my term) Please do not take offense, I mean none.

I feel that's an uncomftorable feeling and not enjoyable at all to be around. Now no one likes a lazy bum around camp, and I for one have never seen one or had one in our base camp of 14 years, but by the same token I don't expect others to do or be the same as everyone else in camp, we are there for two reasons, have fun, and harvest elk!!

I've seen a lot of men and youths come and go over the years, and as I look back I'd be more than happy to welcome them back a little at a time. Many have come from this site as well as others. Granted, most of this is under bowhunting conditions. (some rifle) If you're a bowhunter I think most hunters come to camp in a different frame of mind, they know it takes a lot of hard work coupled with a sincere desire to hunt and harvest an elk with a bow and are willing to do just that. And yes, we have a hell of a lot of fun doing it. So far we must consider ourselves lucky I guess, because we've been surrounded over the years with a great bunch of guys. I'd say at least 80 different guys 6 of who are regular each year. Maybe we are always to busy packing elk meat out on our backs to get on each others nerves!!! (big grin)

Remember it's not a job, sure we all want to be successful but at the same time you've got to have fun and make it enjoyable for others when they're down for whatever reason!!

Good Luck and I hope you find the right combonation and enjoy the same fellowshipping that we have!! ElkNut1
Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

EKM:

It sounds like you have been doing your thing for many years. If your experience leads you to change your routine, I bet there is good reason for it. I detect that you change with some regret. It sounds like you have gone out of your way to try to provide opportunities for Elk-ignorant hunters to learn from more experienced Elk hunters and to initiate first time hunters. Having done your part to nurture the sport, I don't think you should feel bad to now pursue the sport with a more closed group.

Quick Reply: New direction! Too bad too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.