Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 New direction!  Too bad too! >

New direction! Too bad too!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New direction! Too bad too!

Old 11-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New direction! Too bad too!

EKM,
I understand your problem. Our moose hunting group started with 4 hunters and one of the group kept bringing in new members who basically were not serious at all about hunting. That group grew to the point that a group of 3 of us (the originals) broke away and will likely never hook up again. We are all still friends, just don't moose hunt together. My moose hunt is also 1 week of my annual vacation and I hate people who try and "invite themselves" on my vacation. I would never ask someone if I could tag along on thier vacation to Disney land or something similar. I digress, the group of remaining 3 have grown closer than family. We have in fact also purchased a deer hunt camp together. I have endured almost every hassle you describe and we have now thinned out the guys who roll in Sunday night and expect to be led to a game rich area the next morning with no effort or scouting at all. We are not outfitters. This year I made my first western hunt for antelope, I researched everything and set up the whole hunt but unfortunately my main hunting buddies could not make it so I went with 3 other aqaintences and it only reinforced the "HUNT WITH WHO YOU KNOW AND TRUST". I will not hunt with those clowns ever again. Our group dynamics are starting to change a little as now there are young sons who will start deer hunting next fall. I look forward to that as I consider them my nephews and they are great kids who think deer camp is HOLY GROUND and thier uncles are nothing short of GODS! Ha!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

ekm---I hear ya!! Considering the size of your camp and the work you put into it, the least ones could do is help out in the take down process.--- I realize there are a few dead beats out there, and good partners are hard to find but don't give-up, there are some good folks out there!!

Once you do come across such ones, they're not only good hunting partners but life long friends, and who could ask for more!!! Good Luck! ElkNut1--Paul
Old 11-12-2004, 01:08 PM

EKM - If you're so fed up with folks who have never hunted elk before, why spend time on a forum where the conversations are, for the most part, with folks interested in or learning about such pursuits? God forbid, there are those of us who look forward to the experience some day - the total experience: the investment of time and energy needed and warranted by these animals.

Your camp = your perogative. We'll be sure not to pester you with questions from non-experts.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:13 PM

Grizz,

Big difference between casual BS on the internet versus actual "showtime in the field" with folks vacations, 1,000's of dollars, the risk of injury, and major physical requirements at play. One is "fairy tale land" and the other is the "real deal." We just got done with the "real deal" a 14 day remote/away from home high country elk hunt (it IS that time of year) so, oddly, that is what I'm talking about --- the issues I've brought up are a reality I've been dealing with AND if you read back thru the thread --- I'm not alone on this one though some folks have never ran into a slacker or a PAMB in their life.

there are those of us who look forward to the experience some day - the total experience: the investment of time and energy needed and warranted by these animals.
Yep, I've heard stuff that sounded just about like that; the guy sounded like a real trooper --- sincere too! Get'em away from home and up into the high country and let a little adversity settle in, weather, snow, wind, mud (or heat and dust) thin dry air, nose bleeds, dirt, cracked hands, soreness, sleep deprivation, blisters, too many miles, and too many pounds.... and all of a sudden the fella's "walk don't match his talk" any more and people start forgetting/rationalizing what they agreed to by a (my experience) a 3:1 ratio. 3 PAMB's for every soldier you find. Thank God for the "soldiers". (I'm not talking military soldiers here, but there could be parallels.) Problem is everyone thinks they are a "soldier" right up until its "showtime" and the going gets tough and folks find its easier to "reneg on the deal" than to just "reach deep, suck it up, and do it".

For now, I'm done recruiting. Got my group together and WE are SO relieved about it. Like one of my guys told me, "I'm getting a t-shirt made up for next year." "It's going to say, "I'm NOT your f***ing guide!" HIS words, not mine. You'd have to have been here to see what brought him to that point. Fortunately it/they won't be there next year.
=================

Regarding asking non-expert questions.... Of course, feel free to post, I'd never discourage that (I don't think so anyway). I'll either ignore it (thus saving my time and aggravation) or give you as straight up an answer as I know how. Not going to sugar coat it though, there are plenty of folks here that will poo-poo the issues for you. Feel free to "kick in" the 'ignore' button if that helps your comfort level. Fair and balanced (or something like that) reporting, you decide, and its okay.

EKM
Old 11-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

We'll be sure not to pester you with questions from non-experts.
Actually, as an easterner who does not have a huntable population of elk I have found EKM to be quite helpful and informative to newbies who ask questions. I don't think not wanting to be abused in the field by guys who won't pull thier load ( been there been stung also) has anything to do with helping others on this site. And quite frankly, if you read the responses here most would tend to agree wth him.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:38 PM

Not everybody has the same goals, objectives, and desire on a hunt. I don't consider these people any less or more of a hunter then myself. I don't really believe that there is a right way and a wrong wat to hunt elk, or any other animal for that matter. Some people do not consider it fun to hike around the mountains all day, and I'm ok with that. I'm not willing to judge anybody because their idea of what they want out of a hunt is different then mine. It always sucks when your out bustin butt and some dude is just sitting in his truck and gets out and shoots a nice bull, but so what? Really, I know in the long run I'll get my elk the way I want to. This is the reason I hunt alone, because everybody has there own way of hunting, I don't pretend to be better then those who wish to do it different. If it is legal and ethical, I'm not gonna complain about it.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Iam in the same boat our first year out we were all green as green can be just deer hunters from IL. we new nothing about elk hunting or the mountains camps tents nothing .

Well there was eight of us I think the other guys had to high of expectaions. I dont know how but we killed a nice 5X6 by accident.
I was hooked the moment I got out of the truck to make camp just wanted to see an elk that is it and did.(Iam a lifer)

The next year it was just me and my boy hood friend Brent. So the next three years it was us two who did the foot work the learing the exploring the not killing we got ask why waist time money and not take an Elk what we have learned and experinced was worth much more then killing .

Then we started taking elk getting close then hunting buddies come out of the wood work. So I take a few friends set them up put elk in there laps get them shots get camps set up To have them bitch if they arent seeing anything like your friend said EKM Iam not a F*&%^#ING guide

So as of last year there are four of us the kind of guys you would want watching your back when the lead starts flying.
They are good friends with the same drive I have live life and hunt hard!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:01 PM

justhuntit all

Both been down about the same path.
Good that you got your "worthy" group together. Cool.
Next year I look forward to going with just the "marines".
No more "public service".

EKM
Old 11-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I still don't have anyone that I can really depend on as a "hunting partner" besides my dad, and thats it. We have applied for party hunts with people, and find them hunting with other people in the same vicinity as us because they knew where the big bucks were[:@] (only after telling us they couldn't hunt on Sundays)! I typically hunt on my own now, and I even have a hard time hunting with my dad, we just don't get along with each other, when he wants to do one thing, I another, etc (mainly because he is getting older and having a harder time getting around than I do, I can walk miles a day and not feel a thing, while he feels every step). Next year (if we can get tags), we plan to set up a good camp, but I still would rather hunt on my own and camp with the other people. I just like the independence of hunting on my own, I can do what I want, and don't have to worry about what everyone else wants to do (or can do). I just like the experience of getting out, and being in the wild, who cares that I harvest anything (though it is a good bonus). Just the challenge of going one on one against nature is satisfying enough as it is!!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with a hardy group of guys. It sure is nice. We have had a couple of people who didn't pull their weight and they are not invited back. As far as setting up camp. It usually gets set up for about 3 solid weeks and gets tore down when no-one is there. It is a back pack camp. Meaning that we hand carried everything in. Nothing comes out. We have 3 , 55 gallon drums burried in the ground which contain everything from tents, tent heaters and cooking gear to solar showers. The food for the season gets taken in 2-3 weeks before the season starts. We usually split our meat between the people who pack it out. It is a 5 mile walk to the trailhead. It would be hard for me to do it all by my lonesome. Even though I have before. I have had 20-30 different people in the camp through the years. And only a couple have been bad eggs. I find that the bowhunters that I elk hunt with are usually a hardy bread and have a greater amount of patience than most. Good luck with your endeavors EKM.

Quick Reply: New direction! Too bad too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.