Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 any NW colorado elk hunters here? >

any NW colorado elk hunters here?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

any NW colorado elk hunters here?

Old 10-20-2004, 08:37 PM

Default any NW colorado elk hunters here?

All, I am taking my father elk hunting this year near Craig/Hayden. Has anyone already been out for the first or second seasons that can offer any advice for areas?

thanks
Luckyone
Old 10-21-2004, 10:07 AM

Default RE: any NW colorado elk hunters here?

We just got back from hunting north of Craig. Had great success. What area are you looking to hunt? Where are you staying etc? A little more info and I might can help you some. Good Hunting
Old 10-21-2004, 10:33 AM

We are staying near steamboat and driving to Hayden before heading North on that road straight North. My father years ago hunted near Shield Mountain and Columbus Mountain. He has also mentioned California Park, but I am having trouble finding it on the map.

thxs.
Luckyone
Old 10-21-2004, 08:14 PM

We hunted NW this year. We got a 6X6 out of a heard of about 25 cows. Otherwise we didnt see much sign. We were about 120 miles west of Denver. I think we werent quite as far as steamboat, but i know other years when my dad went they went to steamboat so it wasnt too far from where they were hunting. We took the Dotsero exit. Thats not how you spell it but its how it sounds. We had a great hunt. Sheep mountain or W mountain, if by chance you know where that is. The Whitewater state forest.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:46 PM

Wuff,
All sorts of map and navigation problems.... It's White River National Forest, not White Water State Forest.

Luckyone, you'll be hunting in Routt National Forest or Private land. If you are staying in Steamboat, then it is a twenty minute drive to Hayden. From there the road north through California park is 42 miles from Hayden to Whispering Pines. Don't count on over 25-30 mph average speed, especially in the dark. The road cuts right through the middle of California Park --- it is huge --- you need different maps; I'd suggest you pick up some 7 and 1/2 minute quadrangle maps at Pierson Graphics or the Federal Center in Denver.

Strategically and logistically you are putting time and distance against yourself by basing so far away from the action, unless you boys want to do mostly road hunting OR plan on arriving after sunrise or arriving REAL short on sleep I think you are going to have a hard time getting to your target area and then putting some miles between you and the road in order to get back into elk country.

BTW, this is heresay, but I 've heard it too many times to disregard.... Be sure you know right where Routt National Forest ends and private land begins. A fella by the name of Smith has a lot of the private ground up that way. Elk hunters come to hunt elk, Smith hunts for elk hunters that don't know right where the line is and busts them for tresspass via a citizens arrest and is more than willing to match hunters nerve when it comes to firearms. He has law enforcement running up there all the time I'm told. This isn't exactly my stomping grounds though I have travelled thru there a time or two, but the stories I've heard are outstanding (regarding Smith). I've heard the hunting is very good, but as always the trick is to know where to go (and not go).

Good Luck,
EKM
Old 10-21-2004, 09:03 PM

My dad wasnt sure exaclty what it was called, but i was pretty close, i got the White right......
Old 10-22-2004, 06:38 AM

EKM, You're absolutely right about the private land issue. We hunt the Routt NF, going in north of Craig. LOT's of hunters, but lots of game as well. You have to hunt for them, but they're there. I also agree that staying in town IS NOT the way to beat the odds. We were 1 1/2 hours from Craig, even thou it was only about 30 miles as the crow flys. Tough country, especially in the dark. The private land issue is very real. Stay in the forest luckyone!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:09 PM

So luckyone, what ever happened?

EKM