Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

7mm-08 for Elk?

Old 09-28-2004, 01:06 PM

Default 7mm-08 for Elk?

Hello, and thanks in advacne. I recently had a discussion with a gent behind the counter at Cabella's regarding the 7mm-08 as an elk round. He was of the opinion that for reasonable ranges of 250 yards and in that it would be fine, provided that one utilized bullets in the 160-170 grain class. After some initial checking, it looks like that I could work up some hand loads with these specs.

My question is this, would a 160-170 grain 7mm-08 adequate for elk? Thanks for your insight and opinions.

Sincerely,

OUrabmen
Old 09-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-28-2004, 06:12 PM

Default RE: 7mm-08 for Elk?

The 7mm bullet has proven itself on large game. The two 7mm cartridges for which I am loading, both seem to do best, accuracy wise, using the Nosler Accubond. One is 7mmWSM, and the other being 7mmRemMag. No telling which bullet will work best in your rifle until you load some test rounds and get to the range.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Out to 250 yards it should work well. In an Article by Rick Jameson he says it good for elk out to 300 yards. I would shorten that up a bit to make up for misjudging the range. Its a ballistic clone to a well loaded 7X57.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:03 PM

EKM, are you there?
Old 09-29-2004, 12:47 AM

Just got back from a 6 hour elk camp provisions acquisition trip with the camp chef....

Specifically,
It all depends, seeking to avoid supposition regarding an over the counter conversation with a salesman:
(1) When are you actually going?
(2) How much will it cost?
(3) What rifles do you currently own?
(4) What is your actual shooting/hunting experience?
=================

Generally:

Per an earlier, largely uncontested discussion, the 7-08 is a "cross-over" rifle between deer and elk and comes with strings attached for its use on elk and that is what makes for the fly in the ointment. It's your time away from home, loved ones, and work; its your money and your psyche at play as to how willing you are to "walk away" from an opportunity you have paid dearly for. If that is what floats your boat, it is legal here in Colorado, knock yourself out.
=================

Personally, not my choice as either a "elk rifle" or as an "elk hammer" and for what ever it may be worth, it is under the 30-06 power/penetration minimum for our elk camp.

Good luck with your elk hunt.

EKM
Old 09-29-2004, 04:17 AM

Personally, not my choice as either a "elk rifle" or as an "elk hammer" and for what ever it may be worth, it is under the 30-06 power/penetration minimum for our elk camp.
As EKM wrote, the 7-08 is legal for elk, however as someone else pointed out, .243Win will kill elk. I am also with EKM in terms of what I would use for elk. I previously answered your question in the affirmative, in terms of the 7-08 being adequate to use on elk, provided you stick to your own limitations of range and angle.
When it comes to an elk rifle, I want one with which I could successfully make a "Texas heart shot" or a serious raking shot, where a lot of elk would have to be penetrated before damage was done to the vitals. In those areas of difficult presentation of the shot, are where the 7-08 comes up short, when compared to more powerful cartridges.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

You may want to check out the 378 Weatherby. All doubt would then be removed. It is an elk hammer. It has not only the bullet weight but is very flat shooting. I have always been impressed with the 257 Weatherby and the 378. In thier class each gives impressive performance. Roy Weatherby liked the 257 Weatherby for elk. However there are no elk hammer bullets for the little 25. In the 378 the 270 or 300 grain fail safes should do the job. Ammo is a little spendy but if you reload it should not be a problem. There are some who would say the 378 is a little light for elk but with good shot placement it will do fine.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 7mm-08 will take elk,like everyone here so far has said it's a cross-over gun.I have one myself and I plan on using it for elk,I have a cow picked out already if the bull don't show up.It's my saddle gun Rem model 7 with a 2-7 scope It will handel'em out to 200 yds.

I plann on using 139gr Lt-mag's from hornady,140,160's should work also.

But then again I have a hard time not grabbing the 300 Ultra or my 338 win mag when elk come to mind they never seem to give you that aaahh so perfect shot.
If I use it I will let you guys know how it worked.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:09 PM

I wouldnt suggest a 7-08 for elk. Its to small if you use cheap bullets and marginal if you use premium bullets.It is legal and if you think you must, be sure to use premium big game bullets regardless of cost and take only close shots or perfect shots if longer(200+yds). A 7mag would be much better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.