Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

winterhawk outfitters

Old 09-26-2004, 12:22 PM
tda

Default winterhawk outfitters

does anyone have any info, good, bad, or indifferent about winterhawk outfitters in colorado?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:32 AM

Default RE: winterhawk outfitters

We tried Winterhawk several years ago and we had a miserable hunt! We used them for a drop camp and it was a disaster from the start. They didn't care to honor the schedule they had set and we rode in to camp in the dark, no coats, no nothing. When we arrived, the camp was in shambles. The tent was half collapsed with no wood and it took 2 days to find the latrine because it had collapsed due to poor construction. We were in an area where alot of other hunters were so the competition was tough looking for game. Those fortunate to get an elk had to wait sometime several days for them to come pack the elk out and then the iceing on the cake was when it was time for them to pack you out, some camps had to wait days due to the outfitter wouldn't come in to get you till he had a party to bring in to replace you. It may seem like alot of whining, but understand that these are points that were contrary to the agreements set up before the hunt. In al fairness, perhaps the guided hunts are better, but after wasting $2000 already on them, I won't give them anymore of my $. There are just too many good outfitters out there.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to give a POSSIBLE flip side. I talked with them extensively before booking with a different outfitter in ID for this fall.

I had heard internet horror stories about them, got reports from better business or some such place, then called Larry Amos, the owner and asked LOTS of questions, told him what I found. He denied nothing, but put a different side to all the stories. After several phone calls and lots of email, with Larry being what I felt was very obvious and upfront, he sent me a tape of "Jay Gregory Outdoors" which was filmed there last year. It shows the camp, setup, etc.

I called a couple of his references and was just about to book with him, until my Idaho outfitter called me. I had hunted with him 2 years before and trusted him and he had an opening I could go to, so I went with Idaho. I called Larry and told him and he was again very understanding.

Later this past summer I "internet bumped" into a NY fellow who was booked with Winterhawk and we agreed to swap hunt details. He was at Winterhawk for the first week of bow season and the bulls where not bugling and it was very warm, in the 80's. Still most folks in camp saw elk, 3 of 8 had bulls in range. His impression was that the outfit was very well run, well organized and they worked their butts off under less than ideal hunt conditions. Camp tents where clean and food was good, guides new their stuff and the horses were fine. He is re-booking again for another year.

So, not a direct refernece, but info I hunted up while picking for my elk hunt.

--Bob
Old 09-29-2004, 05:49 PM
tda

thanks for the info. I have spoke with larry on the phone and by e-mail and he seems to be honest, i have checked his references and have heard mostly good. the reply to my posting is the only really bad thing i have heard.does anyone have recommendations for a drop camp outfitter in colorado.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:55 PM

Not a reply, but a request for any update on Winterhawk Outfitters in Colorado. Can anybody add anything to this thread from last year? Thanks.
charlieb
Old 11-01-2005, 05:44 PM

Check in www.huntinfo.com then go to outfitters reviews
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 AM

I've hunted the area where there tents are set, not that remote, usually alot of hunters in the area come muzzleloader season. If I were paying an outfitter for a drop camp hunt I'd expect a remote area out of reach of hunters walking in.
David/Mo
Old 11-07-2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the responses!
charlieb
Old 11-08-2005, 06:54 AM

There's a difference between "guided hunts" and a "drop Camp". Guided hunts not only cost considerably more, the level of service is considerably higher. Drop camps basicly provide the hunter with a ride in and a place to stay. A 'good' outfitter might assist the drop camp with ideas where/how to find the game, but the main thing is to get you in/out safely and to assist you with you game when it's needing to get out. What Larry did for us was to plant us in the middle of lots of other camps, period. I'm not willing to bash Winterhawk to it's death, but if anyone wants my $.02 on our experience, PM me and we'll talk.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM
mom

i am not sure if this is the comentyou are wanting,but i think people should knowhow they treat the youngmen that they bring 100s of miles away from home to work for them.they dont tell them nothing!they throw them in aand if you mess up life gets real hard for them.my son is 19,never been away from home.some people say he is a man now so he should figure it out.well i am sorry,just because he is 19 dont make him a man.but at any rate he was there for 19days and for whatever reason he did not work out.so one man took him to the bus station with out a dine to his name and put him out!that boy was scared,no money no food,water and stuck with no way home.how can these people be so uncareing about a boy that worked for them almost a month.and just throw him out like a dog on the street! hhe is a person and agood person he has a great heart.he went for the job and the experince.and to be honest i would want them teaching my child how to catch a fish not to mentionan elk!so dig deep befor you send your child.

Quick Reply: winterhawk outfitters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.