Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Can you fit an antelope in a cooler? >

Can you fit an antelope in a cooler?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Can you fit an antelope in a cooler?

Old 09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can you fit an antelope in a cooler?

Sorry to be asking so many questions here but we have about a 30 hour drive one way for this upcoming hunt so I want to have the logistics figured out as best as possible. I have been told that I can fit 2 boned out antelope in a regular sized cooler by someone who has been there. Does this sound right? I drive a S10 blazer so space will be at a premium and coolers eat up alot of space. So, how much cooler space does a boned out antelope take. We plan on having them butchered in town before our return trip. All info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Can you fit an antelope in a cooler?

depends on how much ice you need. It would take me at least two coolers because I like lots of Ice.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would take me at least two coolers because I like lots of Ice.
Are you saying 2 coolers for each animal or 2 animals?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If at all possible I would use dry ice. If it is already packaged for the return trip. Wet ice would not keep it as cool and also make the packages wet. Dry ice will actually freeze any meat that is not frozen yet. Wait to buy the coolers on the return trip. Most areas have a Wal-Mart somewhere to get a cooler. I am sure that whoever is doing the butchering can turn you on to a place that sells dry ice. You probably will end up with about 40-50 lbs of processed meat from each antelope. Good luck on your hunt. I am going after Antelope here in Idaho on sat. Got my bull out of the way. This should be one easy pack compared to that.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:36 PM

We like to get 8-9 bags of ice and in a 150 qt cooler we can comfortably fit 2 antelope and the ice in it. With 2 bags of ice you can fit a single antelope in a normal 50 qt cooler. And with no ice (not recommended) you can fit 2 'lope in a 50 qt cooler.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:42 AM

If you have the meat hard frozen, you will not need ice for a 30 road trip. Just wrap the meat, stacked together, in many layers of newspaper. Newspaper is an incredible insulator. Put the wrapped meat all the way to the rear of the vehicle, away from any heat vent. If possible, wrap the newspaper package in blankets. The more you insulate the meat the less thaw you will have. I have done this, driving back from Wy. to Md. and the meat bearly shows any signs of thaw in a full 24 hours or more.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Spike

You are best off having your goats cut, wrapped, and frozen before you leave. It would best if you have a large thick styrofoam cooler verses the regular plastic ones because the styrofoam will insulate it better, although the plastic coolers will work okay too. As was mentioned before, you should get some dry ice to put on top and pack newspaper into all the air pockets. Last year I shipped 2 cut up goats, and the entire package (cardboard box, styrofoam liner, meat, and 5 pounds of dry ice) weighed a total of 75 pounds. 2nd day delivery cost $150 from CO to NC. Yes, that was a lot more than I wanted to spend, but shipping it was the only choice. Anyway, the bottom line is that you can figure about 30-35 pounds of cut up meat from an antelope, and by having it frozen and using dry ice in it for the trip home in a tightly packed cooler will easily last 2-3 days, and you can always add more dry ice to make it last longer.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

TerryM,
I just pickup a antelope doe from the butcher. I got back 47-pounds of meat. This doe would be considered a "big doe". Two antelope cut & wrapped will fit into a large cooler with dry ice. If you get a 150-quart cooler you will have plenty of room. Most places will quick freeze your meat & advise you how to pack it for your trip home.

Good luck,

WK
Old 10-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone for all the info. Just got back from range, rifles on and I'm ready to go.