Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Gator Hunt summary w/pictures: 9/01-02 04. Orange Lake, FL >

Gator Hunt summary w/pictures: 9/01-02 04. Orange Lake, FL

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gator Hunt summary w/pictures: 9/01-02 04. Orange Lake, FL

Old 09-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Spike

Default Gator Hunt summary w/pictures: 9/01-02 04. Orange Lake, FL

This is a summary of an alligator hunt I did last week with two good friends. This year for a change of pace we elected to put in for a gator permit on a water body that was unfamiliar to us. We ended up with our first choice of Orange Lake during the first week of gator season (just south of Gainesville, FL). A couple of days prior to this hunt we scouted twice and had an idea of where two large gators maintained their territory. Our hunting platform was Eric’s 18 foot (1854) Go-Devil boat and 25 HP Kohler Go-Devil motor. Just like an airboat this combination is ideally suited for this type of hunting and travels over vegetation and skinny water quite easily. During our second evening of hunting my visiting friend from Texas, Dennis, managed to take his first gator, a nice 9 foot 4 inch male gator, and a couple of hours later Eric managed to take a 10 foot 1 inch male gator too. It was a memorable evening/morning hunt and here are some of the highlights.

This hunt was somewhat accelerated on account of Hurricane Francis and we decided that if we hadn’t gotten a large gator by the second night we planned on downscaling and taking a smaller gator as we figured the weather would deteriorate quickly making hunting impossible (our permitted hunt time is only one week long). We figured we had two to three evenings of good hunting weather before the weather turned too stormy.

First Night/Morning hunt: The first gator we worked (~ 7 footer) we were able to get right next too quite quickly, but since it was our first gator of the evening (not a large one) and our first day of hunting we decided to pass on him. We were kinda shocked at being so close to him since we normally hunt Rodman Reservoir and the Rodman gators don’t let you get so close so easily. We started to think this would be an interesting night with plenty of chances at gators, but it didn’t prove to be as we were not able to get close to any of the larger gators. With the exception of the first gator the others were quite skittish the whole evening. We ended back at the ramp around 2 a.m. and were politely greeted by a lone FWC officer who asked a few quick questions then went back to finish writing a warning to two individuals who had a gator in their airboat, which was still alive (required to be dead).

Second Night/Morning hunt: On this hunt we had my friend, Dennis, who had just flown in from Texas, exclusively for this hunt. Since we couldn’t get close to the gators the night before we switched tactics and started baiting selected gators using rancid meat affixed to a 7/8’s inch wooden dowel (by regulation it must be just short of two inches) tied to 40 feet of braided twine to which is further tied into 60 lb monofilament spooled on a Penn Senator 4/0 reel (and rod). The idea is that the gator swallows the bait and the dowel gets “caught” in the stomach and you pull the gator up to the boat while a partner is standing by ready with a harpoon. For this year, the bait of choice was rancid chicken and we found it to work just as well as the rancid hog lungs we normally use. The first couple of gators that took the bait headed for the thick aquatic vegetation. After clearing a hole in the vegetation we would gently pull the gators up to the boat, but invariably they would hit the bottom of the boat and then take off pulling the boat around a bit. One gator was small and the other was around 8 foot, but after a bit of tug-of-war it came up head first, opened its mouth and we watched the bait pull out. 0 for 2.

The next gator was a nice one and it headed into the thick vegetation so we again had to scoop the vegetation away to make a clearing in order to see it’s size. It eventually headed to deeper water (tactic of larger gators), which made it easier to control and handle. Seeing it was at least an 8 footer Dennis made a nice harpoon shoot in the neck and it started taking line. We then lightly pulled it back toward the boat and Dennis secured a second harpoon in the neck area. Bringing it up to the boat again we maneuvered and submerged the head with a paddle and Dennis made a good shot with the 44 magnum bang stick to the back of the head. About this time an FWC airboat with two FWC officers came up to our boat (must have been watching us with night vision gear?) and waited for us to bring the gator into our boat and affix the gator tag. In response to the officers statement that the gator needed to be dead before it was brought aboard our boat, Dennis did a corneal reaction test (he’s a VET), which indicated it was dead. With the gator on board the officers then asked to see our permits and IDs. They were both polite and professional and after they checked us over we talked a bit about gators and the lake. At one point I checked to see what the sex was of the gator and found it to be a male. The two officers got a good laugh from that as I apparently aroused the deceased gator and they got to see what a male gator sports when it’s time to make little gators. I then got a bit of friendly hammering in the middle of Orange Lake from the two officers on account of my prowess at gator sex determination. I suppose it was kinda funny. After a couple of pictures they left and we went back to hunting.

Our next attempt resulted in a small 5 footer taking the bait and eventually releasing the bait. The next gator appeared to be a good gator, but skittish. We placed the bait and backed away leaving line out as we backed up. An hour later he picked up the bait and swam across the lake (at this point ~ 200 yards wide). We then started pulling in line and he became quite active and did quite a lot of pulling the boat and trying to swim off. He finally settled down and hung on the bottom and we gently lifted him up. Knowing this was a large gator, Eric jammed the harpoon behind the neck at the first chance and all hell broke loose [we later noted that the three inch harpoon shaft (5/16” diameter) had a serious bend to it as it had penetrated through of one of the very hard raised scales found all over their backs]. After pulling the boat around and rolling a few times we pulled him closer again and Eric secured a second harpoon in the neck. Pulling him back to the boat and submerging his head the 44 mag bang stick did its job again and we had our second gator (2 a.m.). We then took some pictures, drove to the gator processor and dropped off the gators in their cooler, and ended up home by 5:30 a.m.

It was a most interesting couple of nights and a VERY impressive animal to hunt.

Brian

Chicken-on-a-string……

An unhappy 9 foot gator at boatside

Two FWC Officers checking up on us

Picture the officers took

Close up of two detachable harpoon heads

Dennis’s first gator, 9 foot 4 inches (Eric on right).

10 foot unhappy gator with one harpoon line attached

Bang stick plunging in the water (not yet exploded)

Coming aboard

Two gators on the bow

An awesome hunt!
Old 09-07-2004, 07:48 AM

Default RE: Gator Hunt summary w/pictures: 9/01-02 04. Orange Lake, FL

awesome thread, we is the tail being cooked
Old 09-07-2004, 02:19 PM

We have gator hunts down here to, but I havent been drawn yet. I was wondering what is a "bang stick" and how does it work? Not many people can say they have hunted alligators, congrats to all of you. You going to get them mounted, or just bleach the skulls?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:20 AM
Spike

The processor finished dressing the gators and the 10 footer yielded 50 lbs of meat while the 9 footer yielded 40 lbs. We haven’t picked up the meat yet as I didn’t want to lose it as I was concerned our power might go out during Hurricane Francis. We did lose power for 10 hours, so I’m glad I left it at the processor. I can only hope they still have power as I’ve been unable to contact them and I believe their phones are out. The processor lives in the boonies.

A bang stick is the same tool as SCUBA divers use for shark protection and is also referred to as a powerhead in the SCUBA world. The head is approximately 4 inches long of thick steel that’s hollow and mounted on a long pole. The head is screwed onto the pole and when you pull out the thick metal cylinder you insert a round (just like a rifle chamber) and re-insert the cylinder into the housing. You also have a metal removable pin that forms a barrier to prevent the round from accidentally discharging. Prior to loading a round you insert the pin through the entire metal mass, which prevents the primer from being engaged on the pin. When ready to use it you pull the pin and hit the object with the end of the cylinder. You must make sure you do this underwater as you would be spayed with flesh and bone as the round goes off. Even though it’s under water it’s quite loud and you get blasted with water. There is an “X” on the back of a gators head and that’s where you place the shot, angling forward so as to hit the peasized brain. We also used to cut the spinal cord as a precaution prior to bringing aboard the boat, but have since stopped doing that as it lessens the quality rating of the hides.

My friends are getting them mounted and I got an extra head from the processor to leave outside and hopefully, end up with a white sun bleached head.
Brian
Old 09-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

That looks fun!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Big Bend Brian

The processor finished dressing the gators and the 10 footer yielded 50 lbs of meat while the 9 footer yielded 40 lbs. We haven’t picked up the meat yet as I didn’t want to lose it as I was concerned our power might go out during Hurricane Francis. We did lose power for 10 hours, so I’m glad I left it at the processor. I can only hope they still have power as I’ve been unable to contact them and I believe their phones are out. The processor lives in the boonies.

A bang stick is the same tool as SCUBA divers use for shark protection and is also referred to as a powerhead in the SCUBA world. The head is approximately 4 inches long of thick steel that’s hollow and mounted on a long pole. The head is screwed onto the pole and when you pull out the thick metal cylinder you insert a round (just like a rifle chamber) and re-insert the cylinder into the housing. You also have a metal removable pin that forms a barrier to prevent the round from accidentally discharging. Prior to loading a round you insert the pin through the entire metal mass, which prevents the primer from being engaged on the pin. When ready to use it you pull the pin and hit the object with the end of the cylinder. You must make sure you do this underwater as you would be spayed with flesh and bone as the round goes off. Even though it’s under water it’s quite loud and you get blasted with water. There is an “X” on the back of a gators head and that’s where you place the shot, angling forward so as to hit the peasized brain. We also used to cut the spinal cord as a precaution prior to bringing aboard the boat, but have since stopped doing that as it lessens the quality rating of the hides.

My friends are getting them mounted and I got an extra head from the processor to leave outside and hopefully, end up with a white sun bleached head.
Brian
and bang sticks are available in many calibers from 38,357,44, and 12 gauge there the most popular and theres probably a few more to but there right around $100 they make some that attach to your spear gun(its illegal to shoot them from the spear gun like a spear) but there legal for protection from sharks and barracuda and illegal in most places to fish with but there handy little devices
Old 09-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Spike

Reattached the photos with new links
Old 09-19-2004, 02:45 PM

How do you get the gator tag? Could a non-resident get one? Is it a draw, and if so how long on average does it take?
Old 09-20-2004, 02:50 PM

Very interesting. Congrats on an excellent post. Certainly unlike anything we'd have an opportunity to do in Ontario.

I'm curious as to what a 10 ft. gator would weigh, from where on the gator is the meat taken and thirdly what is the meat like, taste and consistency? Is it like fish, fowl or game?

Thanks gg.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Spike

J3k, This site will tell you most of what you wanted to know about gator hunting: http://wld.fwc.state.fl.us/gators/Default.htm

Gator season lasts one month (Sept) and is divided into 4 one week seasons. The gator license (two gator tags) costs $250 for residents and $1022 for nonresidents. Helpers require a $50 license (anyone who helps out must have). It’s a drawing of tags with first come first served. The key is to submit your application at 8:01 a.m. on the day the drawing starts (drawing begins at 8:00 a.m.). I’ve been lucky and for the last 4 years have been drawn. You also have to prioritize what lake you want to hunt and what one week season you want to hunt (prioritizing different lakes with different weeks)

For LOTS MORE information click on the Alligator Harvest and Training manual. It covers everything including a section about gator hunter injuries. Some good reading should you decide to gator hunt: http://wld.fwc.state.fl.us/gators/public/T&O_2004.pdf

GG, the 10 footer was approx 200 lbs (two years ago we took a 11 foot 1 inch gator that weighed 250+ lbs). The meat comes from the tail, jowls, and stomach area. The legs are tough and IMO not really suitable for anything except soups, etc. The meat goes through a tenderizer and even then it’s chewy. It has it’s own taste, but I suppose something in between chicken and fish. In my opinion it’s good but not outstanding. For sure you have to have your first gator head mounted and it’s an impressive mount. Overall, it’s a VERY INTERESTING HUNT!.
Brian

Quick Reply: Gator Hunt summary w/pictures: 9/01-02 04. Orange Lake, FL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.