Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting/Camp Prep

Old 09-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting/Camp Prep

EKM----I use a shotgun & flush them. Lots of guys use a 22 & try to take off their head. I take them to camp or home to clean. Any recipe you have for pheasant will work. My wife uses a sage & onion stuffing on them !! They are good eating!!! Trying to get a couple more this weekend----but in a different area than my honey hole for elk !! Good luck this coming season. Best time of the year !!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Matriarch Doe!

Tis the season. Life is good.
Amen, EKM!
I've been doing alot of scouting for my season---starts Oct. 16th and it's only a week long. I'm chomping at the bit and can't wait till it gets here! I've spotted quite a few real nice bulls---if they'll just be considerate enough to stay where they are and wait for me! LOL!
As far as people in camp when you'd think they should be hunting....I'm always amazed how it seems I'm always the last one back to my camp. By the time I hike back to the truck and drive to my camp, just about every camp I pass already has a fire going and guys halfway through their dinners. The only explaination I've been able to come up with is that alot of those guys never got out of their trucks in the first place!
Oh well. More elk for me!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elkcampmaster, rifle hunters are just as guilty of 4 wheeler use as are the bowhunters. The bowhunting thing does work in answer to your question. 3 elk down in 2 days isn't bad and all were packed out 5 miles by man. I hunt roadless areas and go way back in. There is a huge difference between bowhunting and going after elk with a bow. We called in 9 bulls last saturday. Yes there may be more room in the woods come rifle season. But I know of a few elk that won't be there either. Including this one.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:14 PM

ElkCrazy8,

I've always felt bowhunters (the successful ones) were generally better hunters than rifle hunters, it simply requires more talent.

I did my scouting/caching in bowhunting season so bowhunters were what I saw and so bowhunters were what I talked about. Given how I expect them to be a "cut above" I was surprised where I saw them and when I saw them. Obviously some are more hard core (positive) than others and I include you in that, er, ah, um, "category".

There, I'm PC!

EKM
Old 09-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ELKampMaster, I was just giving you crap. I too am appauled at what I see when I hit the trailhead. I can pack out a weeks worth of garbage and some yahoos can't make it from the tent to the rig to dispose of a beer can. This is what gives ALL hunters a bad name. Good luck to you this upcoming season. We will soon be switching our sights to rutting antelope and moose. And then on to buffalo. Shoot straight and keep your powder dry.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elkcrazy8 nice bull congrats, just courious do you hunt the lemhi zone?
Old 09-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

idahoelkinstructor, it is in a different zone. Good luck to you this season.....