Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cow Elk talk!!

Old 08-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cow Elk talk!!

What are they saying?
Elkshed
Old 08-20-2004, 10:58 AM

Default RE: Cow Elk talk!!

"NO for the last time I have not seen your bloody pants!"

or

"NO for the last time, I've told you I've got a headache!"

Old 08-21-2004, 11:19 PM

COW:
"NO for the last time, I've told you I've got a headache!"
BULL: "It'll only take a minute..."

I have a primos single and double. I suppose it will work better if I have two ladies calling to the stud...
Old 08-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, cows have their language too! Whether it's social or herd talk, seperated to lost cow sounds. "Come over this way sounds" a lead cow makes when the herd is traveling to bedding from feeding or vice-versa. Distress sounds by both cows & calves. Pre-estrus whines. Barks-Ouch! Nervous grunt! And others. Knowing these sounds and when to use them can really kick butt. If you're a rifle or muzzleloader hunter you won't believe how effective lost or come over this way sounds are unless you give them a try.

Some sounds just let other elk know there's other elk around, others demand or require a response from other elk, those are the ones I like!! Elknut1
Old 08-23-2004, 04:23 AM

So where would we hear a demonstration of these effective calls?? Is there someplace to download em?
Old 08-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Many of the sounds I referred to can be heard on my "Site" Click on my site at the bottom of page and go to elk "sounds" make sure to let it load on your PC before pushing the cassette buttons! Thanks-ElkNut1
Old 08-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say that elknut has helped me immensely this season, so listen well to what he has to say. Not only have his tapes/videos put elk talk into language I have understood better, but in his videos and on websites, he encourages people to not give up on learning how to use the in-the-mouth diaphragn calls. He recommends the primos calls and I ordered a set. After many attempts with no results, it just started working. No one was able to explain to me how, I just had to experiment until the call/tongue/ air just started to work. Should really add some variety and versititily to my calling this fall. Thanks elknut.