Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Opening morning..treestand for Elk? >

Opening morning..treestand for Elk?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Opening morning..treestand for Elk?

Old 08-18-2004, 02:28 AM

Default Opening morning..treestand for Elk?

I was scouting my spot tday and I found a lot of fresh sign, some big trees were mangled!! I was going to hunt on a stand opening morning but this made me almost change my mind and just march around cow calling. There are a few buck in the area but I'm not worrying about them yet. It's just so dry that I know I can't be quiet at all. I've only bow hunted a couple of years. I would just like some input on whether it's better to hunt Elk from a tree or the ground?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 AM

Default RE: Opening morning..treestand for Elk?

Either way can be effective.
If you have a spot the elk are using frequently and are sure they will be back. Try a tree stand, I know people who have been successful with them in the west. Takes a lot of patience.

Elk are cool because you don't have to be quiet, in comes the cow call.
As long as your scent is not blowing to the elk and they cannot see you they will assume you are another elk if you are cow calling a bit.
Try to sound like an elk. If you have ever heard a few elk walk by they are breaking branches and kicking logs, very noisy.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have found a few stands in the elk woods while hunting and one even had a salt lick about 20 feet from it.I was cow calling and had a few cows call back and a young spike bugeled,I intimidated him with my bugel and he left the country with the cows.I'm not sure that guy ever killed an elk out of his stand and if he had he should be ashamed using a salt lick.
I would imagine if you had the patience to sit forever it might pay off I think the odds are better and in your favor to cover some ground.
Give the stand a try it can't hurt.You might even kill the next world record.
Good Luck
Elkshed
Old 08-19-2004, 01:02 AM

OK boys here's the delema I spoke with a guy who live RIGHTon the end of the clearcut that leads into my spot, he's given me a ton of good info. He says that the elk move in and out of this area and I may not see them for weeks at a time. I'm just hoping they're there on opening moring. I'm pretty much decided that I'll walk it the first day (28th) but what if they're there!!!! I guess that's why they call it hunting!!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:12 PM

Are elk that big of a fan of salt? I know deer love it.... but I never thought about elk???

hmm.... I kinda doubt it would be enough to entice a big bull.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have killed several elk from tree stands. They can be effective over a well used wallow. But better yet, they work great on the EDGE of a bedding area. Use the stand and call at the same time. If they aren't around, then move on. Elk usually will be SOMEWHAT habitual in the early season but tend to move around more as the rut comes on. Good luck!!