Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Yes more ELK Hunting ?s

Old 07-20-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Yes more ELK Hunting ?s

Is it worth the extra space and weight to carry a bi-pod for elk hunting?
I will be packing on horses 16 miles to camp and riding out to hunt on horseback. I have the vera-pod that slips on/off the adapter that mounts to the swivel stud, so the rifle can fit in the scabbard. I guess I should ask how many of the expereinced elk hunters use one?

Do I need to use any of the "scent eliminator" spray for rifle hunting elk?

How important is camoflauge for elk hunting as compared to whitetail hunting?

I guess in general do elk use their eyes or nose more to detect danger?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Default RE: Yes more ELK Hunting ?s

No you don't need a bipod. You will not want to carry the extra weight.
You can quickly pull off your daypack for a rest or use available ground cover, trees, branches, bushes, stumps, downed timber etc.
Most public land shots at elk are close range (under 200 yards) in the timber, and most of those are under 100 yards.

You don't need the scent eliminator spray to hunt elk. I never use an scent products. After hiking and sweating a couple hours up a mountain nothing is going to cover your scent.

Camouflage is absolutely not necessary. Just wear earth tone clothes, and leave the cotton at home.

Elk absoulutely use their nose more than their eyes.
You can get away with noise and some movement if you are cow calling because elk expect that from other elk. But once they get even the slightest whif of you they are gone.

Also be prepared to walk, if you are hunting wild elk on public land the odds of being to ride your horse up to them are slim.

Practice with your rifle from the quick set positions. You often only have a split second in the timber. Practice from the standing position and from the kneeling position and practice getting off two quick "aimed" shots.

Good luck on your hunt!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

I agree no need for extras when you can make do with other things and use some things for more than one purpose.
As far as scent eliminator anything you can do to cut down on human odor is good.
Elkshed
Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 PM

noway, elkshed,

Thanks you the advice. I really did not want to take the bi-pod anyway, unless I really would USE it. I have all of my gear ready. I'm practicing with my rifle every week and riding the Mtn. bike and walking almost daily. Just a little over 2 months until early season in Montana!!. Guess I'm a little stir crazy.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:54 PM

Find a steep hill to walk up and down carrying some weight. Stairs will do but the foot angle is different. To be in shape to walk hills you have to walk hills.

You can't get in good enough shape, just do to the best of your ability.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Noway makes a good point!!!!!

Find yourself a steep hill........ put on a pack and HIKE!

People have this mis-conception that just plain walking or using a stairmaster will get you in shape for Elk hunting. It may help. But it does nothing to get your knee,ankle and hip joints ready for a steep walk in the woods. Hiking is the only way!

GLOB !
Old 07-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would respond but I would only be repeating Noway.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:02 AM

Theres no hills around where I live. So I do the best next thing. I load up the daypack I plan to use on my hunt with the gear I plan to carry and I hike the ditches, been doing around 5 miles. A lot of days I ride the mtn bike for aerobic exercise, aroung 8-10 miles.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

In comparison to whitetail, I believe that elk have better vision. That said, it's still their nose you need to worry most about fooling.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

You don't need the bipod.

As far as scent and camo. You don't need either one BUT it certainly doesn't hurt either. If you have camo clothes that are up to the task go ahead and use them. If you don't feel they can handle the type of hunt and time of year you are hunting them leave them behind. Scent eliminator probably won't make a big difference but like I said it can't hurt either. I can't imagine you'd regret taking it, but its not a critical item when rifle hunting. But then again even when I have a rifle in hand I still think like a bowhunter.

Quick Reply: Yes more ELK Hunting ?s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.