Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 1st elk hunt,Where would you go? >

1st elk hunt,Where would you go?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st elk hunt,Where would you go?

Old 07-19-2004, 09:52 PM

Default 1st elk hunt,Where would you go?

What state can you buy a elk tag in? I would really like to hunt elk. I have never hunted anything other than whitetail , Not much else in AL. Where would you all try for the 1st elk hunt? Also How much should I allot to spend?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:57 PM

Default RE: 1st elk hunt,Where would you go?

Colorado. There is a lot of great info on the other elk hunt threads.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:05 PM

I'll second Colorado. Lots of Elk and lots of public ground. Plan on spending $400-500 now matter which state you pick over the counter. Wyoming doesn't sell bull tags over the counter and I would stay away from Utah over the counter (good draw hunts). Idaho is a good option, but Colorado still is the best for a 1st hunt experience.

Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

BowElkFreak, just curious where in Idaho do you hunt?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:54 AM

Diamond Creek - 76 and 66A from the Wyoming side. My bro-in-law manages a ranch in the Tygee valley. Good access from there and we hunt in the Forest, etc.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:56 AM

spl1,
People coming west for the first time to hunt are sometimes surprised at the amount of public land.
In Idaho, once you get to the mtns and National Forest you can pull off just about anywhere and start walking and see elk sign around.
There is far more public land than private land.
Just look for National Forest land and that is area you can hunt for the most part.
Then call the Fish and Game in the area you are thinking about and get a report from them on how the hunting is in that area and tips on some areas where you may be able to get away from most of the hunters and then go for it.

Once you have your tag, then you are talking transportation to you hunting spot and your camping expenses.
If you have never hunted elk before and you have lots of bucks then an outfitted hunt on public land (you won't learn much doing it on private land) is a good idea for the first one just to jump start the learning curve.
An outfitter is absolutely not necessary, and if you are an experienced hunter then I would just do a do it yourself hunt.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:08 PM

No sir, I don't have lots of bucks! Thats why I was hoping to get some info from experienced elk hunters.Where in colorado would you suggest?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:02 PM

My first elk hunt? I would probably go on a guided hunt in New Mexico or Utah on private land. I would probably go for a drop camp hunt on private land in one of these states. Good luck this year Spl1.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:10 AM

spl1,
For the first time elk trip out west..............Colorado. Check out the thread Elk hunting started by log head................you're off to a good start.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Colorado, because it's closer to AL than other choices, and because hunter success rates are higher in CO than anywhere else. (Plus, we've got enough hunters here in MT.)

Quick Reply: 1st elk hunt,Where would you go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.