HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   elk Hunting Tactic (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/65264-elk-hunting-tactic.html)

xeniabuck 07-05-2004 03:55 PM

elk Hunting Tactic

I got a Colorado Elk permit this spring and I.m giong sometime in November. I am giong with a freind that lives there. He told me the easist way to hunt them is to drive around and look for them in openings and etc.. It doesnt sound like to much fun to me, but is that how people hunt elk ???

bigbulls 07-05-2004 04:03 PM

RE: elk Hunting Tactic

No offence to your friend but that's how lazy people hunt elk. They will drive around on the roads looking for elk and usually end up pushing most of them farther into the back country. Elk are not stupid animals and they usually do not hang around in the meadows bordering roads in the day light for too long.

The exception being if you are hunting on a vast expance of private property and you're the only ones hunting it.

xeniabuck 07-05-2004 04:52 PM

ya there more than 300 acres of land and three of us

charlie brown 07-05-2004 05:22 PM

My ex-girlfriends dad told me of a friend of his that drew a unit 072 Bull Elk tag in NEVADA!!!!! This is one of the most coveted areas in the state!!! Chances of drawing are like 1 tag for every 20+ hunters that apply every year!! This is an all puclic land unit, 110,000 acres of which is National Forest Wilderness. That guy put over 400 miles on that truck in the 2 weeks season!!!! He never got out and walked AT ALL!! Lets just say he didn't get an elk that year, and if you want one that will score anywhere near the B&C book, you better get out and walk, thats all there is to it!!!

BTW, 300 acres of land is less than 1/2 square mile, maybe 800yds x 1600 yds at max. That entire area can be seen through binoculars. If there are any elk on that, it would be better to sit on a high point, watch for elk, and put a stock on one that is bedded down. Is the area surrounded by puclic land, as to create a haven for the elk, or is it in an area that has large amounts of private land.

bob d 07-05-2004 05:23 PM

xeniabuck, fess up this thread is just a joke right ????????

elknut1 07-05-2004 08:44 PM

That's not an "Elk Hunting Tactic" it's called Road Hunting!! elknut1

bigbulls 07-05-2004 08:50 PM

Let me clarify vast expance.

300 acres doesn't even scrach the surface. A minimum of 20,000 (5.5 X 5.5 miles) acres of no one having hunting access to other than you and your buddy.

121553 07-05-2004 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: elknut1

That's not an "Elk Hunting Tactic" it's called Road Hunting!! elknut1
You beat me to it Nut. ;)

j3k2c1 07-05-2004 11:53 PM

300 acres? That is what an elk will cover in what, 5 minutes if it is spooked! I hope you can hunt around there too.

dvdegeorge 07-06-2004 05:19 AM

Hey,another good tactic along those lines would be to bring a big spot light and hunt at night also[:'(]