HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   tipping your guide (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/64628-tipping-your-guide.html)

utahhntr 06-27-2004 04:00 PM

tipping your guide

just wondering how everyone goes about tipping there guide.is there a set %, how much is to little or to much.

Bob H in NH 06-28-2004 02:11 PM

RE: tipping your guide

Whatever you are comfy with, and don't forget others, like the cook.

"common" answers are going to be 15%, but that is pretty high, 15% on a $3000 hunt is $450.

Tim Buma 06-28-2004 06:04 PM

I am a professional hunting & fishing guide.
I've found 10% is the loose guideline. Generally it should be based on how hard your guide has worked for you, and what lengths has he/she gone to to make your hunting experience meet/exceed your expectations.
Also how experienced are they and how tuned in are they to knowing what your needs are and understanding the animals that you are hunting.
How is their risk assessment and are they 100% concerned for your safety and comfort at all times. How good are they at matching your ability/fitness to the hunting situation.
I guide hunters from many countries, some do not beleive in tipping at all.(Especially europeons.)

Remember that often guides receive minimal wages from their outfitters, and rely on tips to make a living.
I do beleive that tips should be earned and not just an expected add-on cost.
Regards

Tim Buma
New Zealand Back Country Outfitters Ltd

BobCo19-65 06-29-2004 12:40 PM

Tim, what would you expect to get if you were guiding two people at the same time. Say total cost for both hunters was arounf $7,000?

rather_be_huntin 06-29-2004 02:46 PM

I have one question just for arguements sake. Lets say I saved up for 10 years (can only save $500 a year for this specific purpose) for my "dream" hunt in my "dream" location with ABC outfitters. The hunt is listed at $5000. Lets say I do my own taxidermy and and meat processing and the hunt is within a reasonable drive from where I live. If I only have $5000 in the bank would the outfitter want me to buy the hunt this year and break the bank or wait another year or two until I have extra "tip" money?

I've just always wondered because for me paying that much for a hunt could mean waiting more time (years) to come up with extra money for tips ect. Especially when it could be anywhere from 10%-20% based on the guides work and cooks ability.

Just wanted an outfitters take on this. I'm not thinking of doing this, I was just curious.

Tim Buma 06-29-2004 04:36 PM

For BobCo19-65,
$700 = 10%
This would be a healthy tip, your guide would have to earn it.
I wouldn't pay that amount unless it was earned.
I was recently tipped $2,500 on a $7,000 hunt.
In this instance I worked my butt off for 7 days.
Trophies exceeded expectation, and additional hunting was added.
i.e. Birds & Small game.
On one night I was caping and skinning until 4.30 am, so that trophies would be ready to ship on the day of departure, and that was after preparing meals, cleaning gear and ensuring my clients got off to a comfy nights sleep.
I was very fortunate that these hunters recognised the additional effort that went in. (Many don't.)

Most guides do not work a 365 day year, in fact 100 days hunting is a pretty good effort.
Many outfitters are paying their guides in the region of $100 a day (In some cases less.) and the balance of their income is reliant on tips.
I say look after them, and you'll ensure good guides remain in the industry.

Tim Buma 06-29-2004 04:51 PM

For rather_be_huntin.

I can relate to your scenario. (It sounds like me.)
It's your call really.
Guides can usually pick up on who can and can't afford, so they are unlikely to be overly disgruntled if you don't make a big tip, if they know you can't afford it.
I recently hunted with a guy who screwed the hunt price down to bare minimum, and ended up having to sell stuff to complete the purchase price of his hunt, he was genuine and a passionate hunter.
I thouroughly enjoyed his companionship on the hunt.
He tipped me $200 which I knew was a big ask on his funds, I was really grateful. The biggest bonus with this guy has been his attitude and his efforts to go out of his way to be a good refferee for me.
He also helped me buy hunting gear at real good prices through sources he had access to. e.g. a Leica Rangefinder.
We've become good friends.
Sooooo money isn't everything....
What no guide likes is the hunter who arrives business class with a $5,000 rifle and $2,000 binoculars, demands the world, and talks all week about how he's blown $$$ on this that & the other, and at the end of the hunt, goes cheap on the tip and is never heard of again.
We like everyone enjoy feed-back, and it's great when a hunt turns into an ongoing friendship.

bdana 06-29-2004 11:27 PM

??? 10 %
5 day pig hunt; $400 = $40
6 day elk hunt $4000= $400
10 day desert sheep $12000=$1200

neweboarhunter 06-29-2004 11:46 PM

The guide I hunted antelope with last year I gave him a Knives of Alaska "muskrat" with ivory handle and a leather sheath and $50. ( MSRP $100, I got a deal on it when I ordered my knifes). He seamed quite happy with it. He guided 3 of us that day and we all tagged out by mid afternoon. The other hunters gave him $50 and $150 cash tip. The outfitter fee for the hunt was $1250 for three days. Hope this helps some. These are just what I tipped and others I observed. This was my first experiance with a guided western hunt.

neweboarhunter 06-29-2004 11:50 PM

Should you tip the cooks and any other employees (packers/wranglers)the outfitter has in elk camp? If so how much % or $?