Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 dislikes about nonresidents. >

dislikes about nonresidents.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

dislikes about nonresidents.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dislikes about nonresidents.

I haven't had time to read ALL of the posts, so if this has already been said, then please overlook this post.

All of us are protective of our hunting territory. We SHOULD be! The problem is that we are ALL citizens of the same country with the same rights, but different priveledges, and CERTAINLY different opportunities. I made a post a few days ago seeking information on an antelope hunt in another state. I would be glad to hunt them in my home state and not have to pay for another lisence and travel, but WE DON'T HAVE ANY GOATS DOWN HERE! We don't have any bears, elk, moose, or caribou either. We DO have some animals that maybe you don't have, but would like to hunt or fish- or at least have them in greater density. I figure that I should treat a non-resident hunting turkeys in my state the way I would want to be treated when I travel to hunt goats! If that person gets out of line with poor hunting practices - i.e a slob hunter- then he shold be treated like a RESIDENT slob hunter. REPORT HIM! Otherwise, he has paid for the same priveledge to hunt that I have.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:38 AM

As ELKampMaster said in his post nonresidents hunt harder and usually are the best hunters. I hunt 3 to 4 states every year I treat every one like I would want to be treated.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Elkcampmaster. I have had more proplems with RESIDENTS than with nonresidents. (actually, only recall running into one nonresident in the field here in Nevada, he was from somewhere in California and seemed to be well prepared) I remember in 2001, my dad and I hunted for probably 10 days out of the 20 day season for deer, 5 in one location, and about 5 in another. At the first location, every hunter I ran into was from Las Vegas. They all seemed like good people, did come prepared, were in for the long hall, and I got along good with them, except for the last pair of hunters (out of 15 or so people that I met), who came from Las Vegas last night, in a 2 wheel drive yota', had never previously scouted the area, the one hunter had never hunted before, had bought a 710 .30-06 only days before, and as I was sitting on a fenceline, glassing some mohaganies and rockpiles, they came up, got out of the truck (ha, truck, thats funny), and the one person who had never hunted before, proceded to take the plastic wrapping off of his scope!!!! He had never even shot his rifle!! I couldn't believe it. I asked him if he had shot it before, and he said "no." His "expert" friend, who, by the way, had not shot his rifle in a good while, told me that it came bore-sighted from the factory and everything would be ok. He had killed so many deer, and bla bla bla... Well, they got there gear out of the pickup.. each a bag of chips, the "expert" had a 6" fixed blade knife and a canteen of water, and a pair of binocs. They went on their way, hiking up into the area that I was glassing. Keep in mind, the weather is 70 degrees +, the terrain is as treacherous as it gets, and these guys didn't have a clue. They said they were going to hunt just for that day and then go back to Vegas!! What a waste! I know of a lot of people who were denied in the draw, who would have killed to get a deer tag, and they gave each of these bozo's one!! You don't even want me to go into the next group of people we met at our second location, who were even worse than the pair I just described. Sorry about the long post, just got long winded, and had to vent, kinda why I am not looking forward to this year, as I drew the same area, guess that means I will have to go EVEN farther (was getting close to 2 miles away from the roads as it was that year) to find solitude.

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter where one is from, but how they were raised to hunt, and their experience in the field can make them poor contenders in a hunting situation.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:48 AM

It's funny but I just spent some time out in the mountains with an outfitter and one of the topics we talked about was non-resident vs. resident hunters. First, idiots are idiots and it doesn't matter where their from. I've met good people from out of state and did everything I could to help them and then I've met others who I just wanted to get away from. One of my jobs is doing law enforcement for the Forest Service and I would say it's a toss up between locals and non-locals who get themselves in trouble.
Another angle on all of this is the money that out of staters bring to the communities they hunt near. The outfitter and his guides and the other local businesses rely on these people who inject lots of cash into our communities. The Game and Fish depts. depend on the out of state licenses to supplement thier programs(not saying I support all of their programs because I certainly don't).
Working for the Feds I feel that public land is for all Americans to use but we have to balance the amount of tags we sell to both. The odds should be equal for residents vs. nons and I don't understand why a non has better odds of getting drawn than a resident, they should correct this in those states where this is true.
Back to the main point, we're all hunters and we need each other to help fight off the anti-hunters. Those who can't hunt responsibly should stay out of the woods no matter where they are from. Lets educate those who aren't woods smart or "area smart" so we don't have them ruining everyones elses hunt. To all of those residents who have helped me when I hunted in your state Thanks abunch. My promise I've made to one of you is, one good turn deserves another and I will continue to help others.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:22 PM

Last year where we hunt we ran into two Californians that were absolute slob hunters. They wounded 1 buck at near 65 yards , got one at 70 yards, and wounded another at 110 yards. This was all archery. The one jerk told me that he was an awsome shot [yea right]. When they broke camp they left all thier garbage in the fire pit. I also got a chance to hunt elk with some guys from Texas, these guys are great and respect the animals like all hunters should. So my biggest problem isnt with out of staters its with SOB's that wouldnt even respect the animals in thier home state let alone mine. As far as I am concerned my state needs to raise the out of state fees. Sorry if that PO's some but its the way I feel.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:31 PM

Ditto EKM, More often than not the kid driving through the ranchers meadow is a local that don't have to give a damn. Most non resident hunters learn their manners from locals (guides) a bad apple spoils the barrrel. Most guides are ethical out here but there are a few. Haven't had the pleasure of encountering a "bad" non resident. For the most part though I rarely encounter other hunters during bow season and make the effort to get out there (away from the roads) during rifle season. Most non residents I have ecountered are successful hunters and that kinda bugs me when I'm not getting to the game

Never mind
Old 06-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I realy had to think about this one,I for the most part don't dislike anyone,out-a-state or residents.I do have 1 thing that pisses me off and that is when someone from out-of-state or in state for that matter leases a large number of acres or ranches for their own sport.
We all put in to the wildlife kitty here and all do our best to respect the sport,but just cause some Joe-shmoe Millionaire can lease the best hunting in a area now that gets me fired up.[:@]
BBJ
Old 06-22-2004, 09:13 AM

I agree, There are a few "Outfitters" down here that do that very thing. BUT what I've found is 1. They never lease designated wilderness,cause they can't. 2. They never access that wilderness unless someone is carrying them and 'cause the helo is not allowed. 3. They have a preconceived notion that the bigger the area the better the hunting and 4. They don't hunt for meat.

Venison will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no Venison
Old 06-22-2004, 12:46 PM

About 5 years ago, I was hunting for elk in the Steamboat Springs area. I walked in about 2 miles on a road/path to an area where I had shot a nice 5 point the year before. This road was clearly marked "no motorized vehicles" and had been purposely shut down for the hunting season. After walking about 1-1/2 miles, I came to a clearing where there were about 10 ATV's parked. These ATV's all had out of state tags on them. By driving into this area (illegally), these hunters screwed up a prime hunting area.

I'm not picking on all out of state hunters. Jerks are jerks, whether they are in state or out of state. These particular hunters broke the law and showed little respect or consideration for the other hunters in the area.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was not going to post on this subject but after reading the replies and giving this some thought. I have to say I hate it when hunters are learning your area and they ask and want info about the area while you are hunting. I don't mind if I run into someone while pre season scouting and they ask for info. Then I will honestly try to help them out, and also let them know when in september, (bowhunting elk of course) and where I plan on hunting. Hopefully then we will avoid spoooking each others game. But to have someone in the middle of the season come into camp or up on the mountain ask where to go is just rude. I had a guide also try to tell me that a certian area was only for his paying clients. I admit that I am a teddy bear at heart, but being 6'4 weighing 240 pounds can have some advantages. Besides pulling out maps and proving my point to the guide, I think I scared the hell out of him. I just glad the guide got busted for poaching and can no longer guide!

Quick Reply: dislikes about nonresidents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.