Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How do you get in shape.

Old 06-14-2004, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default How do you get in shape.

Ok let this flat lander now how you get in shape to takle those mountains.

When you come from altitude of around 550ft to 9000 to 12000ft it takes a lot of extra effort.

Another thing you guys from the westren states do you guys have to exsercise much to keep your wind?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you get in shape.

Ok let this flat lander now how you get in shape to takle those mountains
IMO, you can't get into "too good of shape", especially your lungs
When you come from altitude of around 550ft to 9000 to 12000ft it takes a lot of extra effort.
I'd guess that altitude sickness is something you should be prepared for. Plan on drinking more water than usual and possibly check into medication for altitude sickness. I've seen guys lay aroudn camp for days in misery, due to altitude sickness alone.
Another thing you guys from the westren states do you guys have to exsercise much to keep your wind?
Not as much as you flatlanders, but don't kid yourself, going from 6500 upto 10500 is not easy either. We need to prepare too, just not as much!
Old 06-14-2004, 10:28 PM

Do a lot of running. Especially endurance running. Run with a 40lb pack too.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:45 PM

Stair Climber with your hunting backpack. Increase loads upto about 65 lbs. Also, do lots and lots of hiking with your pack. Nothing in the gym can condition you for climbing hills like climbing hills does.

Finally, even for those of us who were born and raised at 7000 ft - there ain't no air at 11,000 - 12,000 ft.(why would you be that high anyway?) ; Nothing is going to help much at that altitude.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spend a lot of time in the summer hiking to the high mountain lakes for fishing. I carry a 12 pound pack plus half a gallon of water, and the fishing stuff. the elevations are from 9200 feet up to just over 10,000. This keeps me in shape just fine for when deer season comes around and I am at 5-8000 feet.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:06 PM

I do a lot of walking and also ride the mountain bike. I plan on doing some hiking with my daypack also.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:33 AM

I haven't had problems getting in shape to hunt my mountain property that is at 9800ft. I also live a 5500. Not that large of a difference but I routinely hike mountains that take me upwards on 13000ft. I haven't had a problem. Maybe it is because I am just a 15 year old kid with a fast metabolism?
Old 06-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't run with a pack. More like climb a long flight of stairs while wearing a pack as part of your workout. Running with a pack will eventually give you back and/or knee problems.

I do this for a workout. I climb a very steep, long flight of stairs as fast as I can while wearing ~30-40 lb. pack. Then I run 3.5 miles in hilly country.

I drink at least 4 quarts of water a day and take vitamin supplements and eat a pretty high protien diet. It makes a big difference in the way I perform. If I know I'm going to be in the backcountry for more than a couple days I eat and bring alot of fatty foods and some carbs.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

I've hunted Colorado a few years for elk and the first year I suffered from a constant nagging headache from taking on too much exertion too fast. So now I do the following:

-Currently into walking farm roads that have hills and walk the first 1.5 miles at a fast pace to loosen my legs and then the 2nd 1.5 miles I run 3/4 sprints of telephone poles. Run one...walk one. I haven't run in a long time so I'm working up to it. Don't do too much at the beginning as you'll only end up hurting yourself and will be unable to continue.
-Tonite I start my summer hockey league (Once a week) and it's a great workout.
-Get on the stairmaster as it is a great simulation of climbing.
-Ride bike if you have one in order to not get bored with the same workout or put the rollerblades on. Varying exercise might help you stay with it.
-Treadmill, if it has an incline, start out with a slight incline and work up from there. Put on a pack and walk with the incline which I've found to be a really good workout and is the closest thing you can find to walking uphill with a pack on.
-Drink as much water as you can handle in the months before and continue drinking as much on the trip as you can. I also take an aspirin or two daily as I've been told it thins the blood out. Not sure if it helps but I haven't had any headaches since putting a little effort into it.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hike into mountain lakes in the summer. I carry a day pack with food, water & raingear. I never felt the need to add the extra weight. I just try to keep the fork out of my mouth so I don't gain any extra weight. I walk around our small town to pay bills & pickup mail.

Quick Reply: How do you get in shape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.