Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears >

338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

Old 06-06-2004, 09:44 AM

Default RE: 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

If one hunts with a single shot, should one move up a bit in caliber? I know shot placement and bullet construction is all important, but given the lack of a quick second shot does it not make sense for the single shot hunter to use a 7 mm or 300 mag on antelope and a 375 HH on a large bear (assuming in both cases the hunter can shoot accurately)?
Old 06-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My only question is why risk your life, or the life of you guide by being undergunned. I agree I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .300 mag. I admit I want to bowhunt the big browns on Kodiack Island. And I will use guide who will be prepared for this and carry a big stick, so to speak. But you can bet I will not use a bow that is set up for whitetails, it will be set up with high KE, and be able to penetrate all the way through the big bear.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

but given the lack of a quick second shot does it not make sense for the single shot hunter to use a 7 mm or 300 mag on antelope and a 375 HH on a large bear (assuming in both cases the hunter can shoot accurately)
Well jgttechjunkie, IMO, a single shot on any game that is not dangerous would be just fine, with the above "shoot accurately" statement, but when you're talking about a critter that can be dangerous to life, than it would make more sense to make the first shot count, and the second shot, and the third shot, etc. until there is absolutely no doubt that it is dead! '
I'd be willing to bet that most deer, elk, antelope all only require one shot to kill them, as with a bear, but the deer, elk, and antelope aren't dangerous after they are hit with the first bullet! Better save than sorry
Old 06-06-2004, 03:47 PM

hey a.m., ruger...i'm in trinidad now, dr. bibers is being forced to retire, i hear, due to his ins. carrier no longer going to cover him...he had a 400 pt. bull crossing his ranch to pinon canon last year, the dow guy at the base said...
-best
Old 06-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, Before anybody jumps down my throat, here, I am a neophite on bears. I would like to hunt them someday. I have never shot a .338, or a .375. I HAVE shot a .458 and NEVER want to do that again. What I really have is a question. Is the issue on the larger cals about recoil, impact, or what?

I asked that to lead into another cal. As far as I can tell, it is new. I'm talking about the .50 Beowolf. I read an article in a swat magazine or some such the other day. Basically, for those who don't yet know about it, it is simply a new upper receiver for an AR-15. It used the same existing clips and single stacks the cartridges. The chamber pressures are lower than the .223, the bolt speed is about the same, and the recoil is about like a 20 ga. It is accurate to 200 yards and devastating on impacy well beyond that. The ballistics are somewhere around those of a 30-30 for Velocity and drop, but the energy retention is phenomenal! The sight options are wide open. Total weight loaded is 8.8 lbs. and it IS being marketed for both police/military and recreational hunting.

If you're worried about firepower, wouldn't this fit the bill?
Old 06-06-2004, 05:39 PM

Anything around a .300 should work for a griz/brownie, from what I have heard/read.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I am nt saying that my 338 RUM would not do the job. But I would feel a whole lot better useing my 375 RUM in BIG BEAR Country. I have killed one Brownie with it and for me personally I wanted something bigger like a 50 cal.

The S.O.B started stalkig me and muy guide. Makeing big circles around us. I put three shots into him and the bastard finally dropped about seven steps infront of us!!

That was ONE PISSED OFF BEAR.

I dont think I will ever be able to afford it again. But dont really want to if you know what I mean.

So yes I would rather be OVER GUNNED than under gunned.

hunter338
Old 06-07-2004, 06:56 PM

idahoeelk,

Its pretty standard up here to have another person back you up on bear and buffalo. They are pretty practical, and they encourage your buddy to follow-up shoot after you do. I think its pretty common with bow hunters too.

A good muzzlebreak and a pachmeyer recoil pad can tame even the most wicked kicking rifles. I may be hunting brownies down near Cold Bay next spring, and if I do, I am pretty sure I will be purchasing a .375 H&H Magnum.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:04 PM

Default BARRETT 50 BMG FOR BROWN BEARS...LOL...

common on people.... you will hunt bears with a bow but not with anything smaller then a 300 mag....(MY THEORY) spend more time on the shooting range with a 30.06 or 270 getting (deadly accurate) .. i dont need a .338 mag to replace my 30.06 because i know that i am (deadly accurate) with my 100 year old m1903 !! instead of being the first
kid on the block with a (MAGNUM) you need to concentrate on shot placement on vitals.
P>S> REMEMBER NOT TO FLINCH WHEN YOU SHOOT YOUR MAGNUM !!
Old 06-12-2004, 03:34 PM

Default RE: BARRETT 50 BMG FOR BROWN BEARS...LOL...

I sure am glad someone brought me up to speed and let me know I must be having such a terrible time with recoil and flinching with my 338WinMag (light weight) and 375 H&H Mag (sweet). I wasn't aware I had a such problem until I read this thread, but I guess that is the gospel so it must be true.

Good thing my 416 Rigby (frisky on recoil, wicked on delivery) is not a magnum, otherwise I would be in terrible shape! On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I thought about recoil, or felt recoil, or even heard the "traditional" muzzleblast when taking a big game animal.

Perhaps someone should open up an import company to bring bottled African water and African herbal vitamins to America in an attempt to fortify its seemingly high population of wimpy, recoil shy hunters with the kind of strength and fortitude that African hunting community has apparently maintained for generations --- and many of those guys aren't all that big in stature either.

I do like the .30-06 (and .308 in particular), especially for punching paper and casual plinking when "exercising" the more docile end of rack" while at the range or while doing a camping/shooting weekend in the National Grasslands. During the years I used them (and the .270) on wild game they proved to be generally sufficient, but just not as outstandingly authoritive as what I have discovered, experienced, enjoyed from the upper end of the spectrum.

Certainly if one lacks the cajones (figuratively speaking only) for the larger cartridges then one is much better served by something more modest that will allow that particular individual to shoot within his/her comfort range thus allowing them to obtain reasonable accuracy. Different thresholds for different people --- seldom does one size of anything fit all people to their complete satisfaction.

It is hard to argue with good shooting, on the other hand....
Deliver accuracy AND overwhelming power and there is no room left for discussion.
Contrary to popular opinion, it is doable (at least for some).

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM

Quick Reply: 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.