Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana late season

Old 05-18-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Montana late season

This fall I will be on a late season (end of Nov) elk/deer hunt in N/W Montana. I've been on quite a few hunts, and live in and hunt in harsh cold winters in far northern WI, but I was curious if any of you guy's who live in the area or have been on the late season hunt could talk about the "potential" or maybe "typical" weather at that time? I know it will be what it will be, and I'm definitely up for it no matter what, but thought I'd just ask because I've never been on a late season hunt in the mountains. The outfitter has been in this camp for 30+ years and will have no problem...and that is certainly not a concern as I've been there before and know his/their capabilities. I'm just curious, I guess...and already anxious! This will be up in the Bob Marshall coming in from the north.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Montana late season

In Montana there is no typical weather. It's a crap shoot at best. Last week we had 3" of snow and a week earlier it was in the 80's.
If your going to be in" The Bob" more than likely it will be very cold and I would suggest packing for the worst,but don't forget your sunglasses.
Of course dress in layers and have a good day pack with you as you hike in the mountains you will be shedding some clothes. I have found while hiking/hunting you get pretty warm. Stop for 15 minutes and your cold again. Wish I could tell you more,but enjoy it's some pretty awsome country up there.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bob Marshall....Man beautiful country. Prepare for the cold and crappy. Just be sure you use layers. Thats pretty much all I can tell you. Start watching the weather patterns daily about a month before you come up here.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The severity of the weather will probably depend on what elevation your going to be hunting in. Some of the mountain ranges in "The Bob" are as high as 8,000 ft. in elevation. If your hunting late in the season (I presume that would be late November) a lot of elk have been pressured and bumped throughout the season and they may be high up in the mountain ranges, but if it is a hard snowy winter, the snow will work to your advantage and push the elk herds down lower. The cold won't effect the elk as much as the snow will in making them migrate down.
The last week in Nov., the bucks will be in full rut as they have been in the past five years, regardless of what moon phase it is. You won't have no problem in filling your deer tag and you can be kinda choosey also in what you want to shoot as far as a nice deer goes, but you gotta ask your self what you want more, deer or an elk?
Some snow shoes if weight and space permit it, may be worth considering also as I usually have mine strapped to my back pack late in the season. Keep yourself in shape and expect the hardest fun you'll ever have. Good luck, Bobby
Old 05-19-2004, 07:42 PM

Thanks guy's... One question. For the late season, do you guy's use conventional hiking boots or pac boots? (Can't wear too heavy though because of the horses (stirups) (sp?) and the boot not fitting?

Yeah, the word "typical" for weather was a pretty poor choice on my part :-(

I am hoping for some good snow, as mentioned, to get the bulls moving down. And mulies in full rut is a real nice bonus. We have 8 days in camp (plus one in / one out) to make a 10 day, so we'll have time and will figure it out after the first day or two if I want to pursue a mulie. Although a good chance exists to pop a mulie when focusing on elk too :-)

I think we are pretty close to some of the burns that are in that area, which, to my understanding, has been real productive the past two years.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

W&M,
I hunt the "Bob" on the S/E side over by Augusta,or the Yaak country in the late of November I've hunted in snow up to my but and some in the rain.It's never predictable.For me when I go I wear a med weight long-john's,a good pair of wick socks,then a pair of wool socks over them,I wear a pair of wool pants.Then on top over my long john ****,I wear a pullover shirt,then a long sleve wool shirt,then a wool sweater,light coat, orange vest and a scarfe, a good warm hat and glommitts.For boots since I hunt off horse back and usally pickett them and hunt on foot,I wear a pair of over the calf-insulated leather hunting boots,with a pair of gortex leg gaiters,this to stop the snow from going up the leg of my pants and down in to the boots.
You can wear pac's but I find them heavy.I wear these clothes weather I'm hunting in the Gravley's or up on the Yak or the Cabinets or the Belts.It's more offten the case your not tring to stop the cold but the dam wind.The temps vary on the norm of about highs in the low 30's and the nights around 0 or low teens.Have a good day pack to put you shed clothes in and to put back on when you are glassing or sitting still,also you can tie a heavier coat on behind the saddle with your slicker or rain gear.Also carry a extra pair of socks with you in your pack.Hopes this helps.BBJ
Old 05-20-2004, 12:01 PM

BBJ - very good points. No doubt I had planned on the gators. I hunt in the snow belt of lake Superior and we get some serious snow, and gators are a big help! By the way, wool is my friend :-)

Good point to tie on an extra jacket/pullover on the horse.

I was thinking the same thing with boots. Pacs are too heavy.

Is it fall yet????