Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Slug Gun for Black Bear?

Old 05-13-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Slug Gun for Black Bear?

New member chimming in with an inquiry. I've done a search, and found lots of information about slug guns in general, but not much info. on actual application on big game.

I plan on hunting Black Bear over bait later this year in Canada. Was initially thinking on using my Tikka T3 Lite in .308, but have this desire to try out a slug gun....

I'm thinking about purchasing a Remington Model 870 SPS 20-Gauge Slug Gun. Figure this should be enough medicine for the blackies....but then, since I have no experience in the matter, figure it would be best to inquire.

Anyone take black bear with a 20ga slug gun?

Appreciate your assistance.

P.S. Very fine site. Lots of information to sift through. Looks like I'll be busy poking around the archieves for awhile
Old 05-14-2004, 09:12 AM

Default RE: Slug Gun for Black Bear?

Welcome! First off, I believe that a 20 gauge will do the trick. My brother shoots slugs from an 870 20 gauge all the time, and a heavy lead slug will absolutely devastate vitals with a good shot. That being said, I would go for versatility and grab the same gun in a 12 gauge. There is no downside to it. Grab some 2 3/4 inchers if you do not enjoy the recoil, but for me, I get the 3 inch and put a towel between my shoulder and the gun when sighting it in. I do not think there is anything a 12 gauge slug will not kill in a certain range. Big, powerful lead with disastrous results for the animal. Plus, you have the versatility of a 12 gauge. Good luck on your bear hunt. Where will you be? Let us know what you decide!

DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, LET EKM TALK YOU INTO A .700 T REX FOR BLACK BEARS!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 01:41 PM

Default RE: Slug Gun for Black Bear?

Thanks for the input.

I considered the 12ga, but it's a little too heavy. The 20ga is chambered in 3" (can take bigger sabots) and is only 6lbs and 39 1/2" overall. Figure this would be ideal as in addition to hunting overbait, I plan on putting whatever I purchase to work in stalking game in the brush (mainly them feral hogs here in Texas).
Old 06-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]