Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

recoil

Old 05-17-2004, 08:44 PM

Default RE: recoil

ColoradoElk,

MagFest II? Alas, we can get together somewhere and have some fun, but the Cherry Creek Shooting Center no longer exists --- victim of the anti-gun do-gooders and the Cherry Creek State Park. Allan Duckworth (the African PH) and Peggy are heading back to Tanzania to plan their next move. That is going to leave us thin at the 458 and 500 caliber slots, unless you picked up that 500 Nitro Express double or have picked up a new acquaintance since last year (460 Weatherby would be nice!)

Allan was a strict taskmaster and addressed big bore issues one does not even normally consider when hunting North American Game. He and Peggy will be sorely missed.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 05-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I just spent some time on the range Sunday sighting in my .300 RUM for this fall's elk season.

A friend who will be joining me for the first time brought along a .270 and a Weatherby .300. We shot all three rifles. My .300 RUM has a muzzle break on it, but my friend's Weatherby did not.

The difference between the two (.300 RUM is slightly faster and more powerful) was startling! My RUM actually felt tame with the break on it.

Someone up above hit the nail on the head when they mentioned dry firing. I'm an old retired Army fud, and dry firing is always part of my "warm up" regimen on the range before launching bullets especially with my RUM. It took me a little while to get used to its recoil, never having owned a magnum rifle before a few years ago.

I sight in the RUM, clean it and put it away in prep for the season. I do the tune up shooting prior to hunting with a mild loaded 06 to get the rhythm and muscle memory down of quickly getting the rifle up and on target. I do this both dry fire and live fire.

I can't say that I actually remember felt recoil in the field.
Regards.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:44 AM

Years ago My first deer rifle was a Ruger M77, very light ... I think a
"mountain rifle" in .308. I had never shot anything centerfire much at all before. The recoil bothered me some with just Wal-Mart loads. Had a chance to up-grade and wound up with a Rem. 700, in .308 again. I would guess the Rem. weighs about a pound more than the Ruger, but the difference in weight allowed me to overcome the flinch problem. Never shot any magnum stuff, but a little bit of weight seemed to help me. I now shoot stuff like Fed. Premium High-Energy, to boot. For my area and type of hunting .308 seems like enough but we're not talking very big or dangerous game, either.

Nothing against the Ruger... It's just that the recoil thing got inside my
head and changing rifles helped me get it straightened out, mentally and physically. I guess what I'm saying is that flinch has a mental component as well as physical.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

EKM, have you been in Sweden???

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubb...t=1#Post667674
Old 05-23-2004, 02:14 PM

No, I haven't been to Sweden, but that Big Bore shooters get-together would be as good a reason as any to go to Sweden. Maybe we should see about putting together a MagFest 2004, perhaps up at your range in the mountains, or (just as a thought) out in the Pawnee National Grasslands east of Ft. Collins. I would be quite intigued if we could get someone with a 458 Lott, 460 Weatherby, 505 Gibbs, and a 50 BMG.

Note: this recoil thread sure dried up in a hurry when it became obvious we have women out there shooting 375 H&H's.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 05-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Funny, I noticed that too EKM. And contrary to what some might think...The women that post on this board are 110% all woman, straight, many married, some with kids and without and some single moms. Point is we love to hunt, the outdoors, and shooting just as much as the guys do! And we do so rather well. Our reasons may vary but I would guess are very similar. Kudos to the women and men of this board that make it such a good one!
Old 05-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Well, that makes things easy. MagFest2004. EKM, you pick the date. We can meet up in the mountains or at Pawnee, your choice. BTW, I have two "acquaintances" on the way I am sure you would love to meet. I expect you will pick up the travel tab for Moderators and their families...

Let me know.

CE
Old 05-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

ColoradoElk, That would be a bit much to expect don't ya think? However.....one can wish can't they.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:22 PM

How much the recoil effects you depends on how you are built. A larger man who weighs more than a smaller guy is not affected by recoil as much because he can soak it up. I think it also depends on the pain tolerance of the guy shooting the gun. Some people like the sharp kick of a rifle, while others dont.

Also, THE MUZZLE BLAST DOES NOT AFFECT THE RECOIL! I DONT KNOW WHERE BRUTALATTACK CAME UP WITH THAT ONE, BUT ITS COMPLETELY UNTRUE. AND A MUZZLE BREAK ACTUALLY INCREASES THE MUZZLE BLAST! IT REDUCES RECOIL BY DISPERSING THE GASSES THAT COME OUT OF THE END OF THE BARREL SO THAT THERE ISNT AS MUCH GAS PUSHING THE RIFLE BACKWARDS INTO THE SHOOTER'S SHOULDER! DONT LISTEN TO WHAT BRUTALATTACK IS TELLING YOU.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:17 PM

EKM,

Have you checked out the lineup this year for CZ rifles? They added a new 550 American Safari and they offer it in 458 Lott. Could be a good partner to your BRNO .416 Rigby.

NBH

Quick Reply: recoil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.