Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A wolves truce?!?

Old 04-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A wolves truce?!?

I like the idea. Just a couple of years ago, my dad and I saw a wolf in far North Eastern Nevada. That tells me that the wolf population is getting out of hand. I think that if the population does not get under control, it will turn out like California where mountain lion attacks are becoming more and more common since they banned hunting of the big cats and left controlling the population to the "professionals."

One way that may be good to control the population is to use tellemetry collars on as many wolves as possible. Any that become a nuissance, may be relocated if they have done nothing wrong, and are not causing an immediate threat to the area, if relocating them would be practicle. Any of these animals should be tagged, etc. Then a mortality quota be set, like the mountain lion system here in Nevada. There is an open season year round, and when the quota is met in any of the three regions, then the season for mountain lion is closed until March 1st, when the new mortality quota is set again. However the mortality quotal would be for total wolves killed, including depredation, vehicle, hunting, etc. There is an unlimited number of tags to be sold, allowing anybody to get one. This would work better than tags issued on a draw system, allowing an unlimited number of people in the field rather than a limited number with probably low success rates. Thats my idea to add on to number 3.

In response to Elkkampmaters idea of "any means necessary," I am not totally against poisoning, or other "drastic" means of controlling the wolf population, but should be used as to possitively not cause any harm to other wildlife.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:22 AM

Elkmaster, I AGAIN will say I have no problem with controlling their numbers but Your comment does show your ethics
If it takes using the old "baited-pull rag-cyanide blast in the face" tools of the past to control them so be it ---- WHATEVER it takes. As mentioned earlier, on the "last go round" hunting alone did not prove particularly fruitful.
We as hunters claim to kill as humanely as possible but poison is far from humane. I`ve seen what can happen when poison kills accidently, in my case poison grain used to kill mice in an orchard during the winter was found by turkeys and wiped out the whole flock in one area. Aswell as poisoning every coyote, hawk and dog that found the dead turkeys. It was your comment about using poison that I found so disturbing not the thought of controlling (not eliminating)wolves.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:52 AM

Turkman,

It is a dangerous approach to blindly apply generalities of one experience to the specifics of another related, but different situation....

I regret that you may have been scarred by your orchard mice/turkeys/predator - poisoned grain experience where the poison (like strychnine) remains active in the eco-system and "moves up" in the food chain.

In the case of the device I described, a cartridge propelled bullet in the head from a rifle and a cartridge propelled cyanide blast in the face from a "pull rag device" has the same effect -- death in seconds. Cyanide is a highly reactive chemical and quickly bonds with elements in the lungs and blood, does its work (it pushes oxygen away from the hemoglobin in the blood and takes its place causing asphxiation), and then "breaks down" by strong bonding to other existing elements. Plus with todays technology it wouldn't be hard to create one that would be semi-intelligent and sense body mass/etc that would be more wolf targeted in its application.

Of course, if the wolves listen to the scolding they get from the USFG, or respond properly to ANY of the other more PC wolf control techniques, then none of this will ever be necessary, correct?
--------------------------------------

http://www.ew.govt.nz/enviroinfo/pes...?version=print

“…. Cyanide breaks down rapidly in the carcass so scavenging animals are not at risk. It also ‘detoxifies’ very quickly when exposed to the environment. It does not build up in soil or the food chain, or contaminate water….”
Again it is just crucial to actually know the specifics of the situation/method being discussed before indiscriminately "shooting from the hip" and going about disseminating heart-felt but inaccurate "facts" to inflame emotions and blur objectivity when trying to reach any sort of concensus on a topic as divisive as this one.

And again, of course, if all the other humane, ethical, good, PC means of controlling wolf populations is successful, then none of this should be necessary, correct?
--------------------------------------

Again, Merry Christmas,
Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-27-2004, 10:56 AM

hey that poison works great ... the yote only made it 75 yards from just eating a single side of the breast ..... total lost turkeys 17, 4 yotes and 3 dogs ........... great stuff... any body that uses it should have to eat it first ..
Old 04-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

LMAO,

What will it matter when the anti-hunters are getting eatin along with everything else.

I say we hold a anti-hunter and enviromentalists tent banquet on the Kenai Penninsula and have plenty of strawberry jam and sardines sitting around for their overnight stay. I'll buy the jam.lol
Old 04-27-2004, 11:14 AM

Cherokee,

I'll spring for all the fresh cooked bacon they want to eat, but they have to eat it with their hands and no napkins!! Of course, we'll pour the bacon drippin's in the latrine.

EKM
Old 04-27-2004, 11:22 AM
jjt

i will fly up and help put up the tents and spread out some donuts

the donuts are for breakfast of course
Old 04-27-2004, 11:26 AM
jjt

by the way rather

the origanation of this thread was we thought of and well written(to get your point across)

now if you can somehow project that upon our stupid idiots we elect in washington please let us know i would be happy to participate

also i like elkcamp ammendment

on another note your right they are not going away but that dont mean i have to bend over and like it
Old 04-28-2004, 07:54 AM
DM

I say we hold a anti-hunter and enviromentalists tent banquet on the Kenai Penninsula and have plenty of strawberry jam and sardines sitting around for their overnight stay.
Where at on the Kenai??? There's a nice little park on "Beaver Loop Road" (near Kenai) called Cunningham Park, there's good fishing there when the tide is right! I even saw a "wolf" right next to the park one time! Will that do???? Perhaps Homer would be better where we could charter out for Halibut, or fly out of Seward, to hunt blk bears????

Also not far from Seward, i could show you some fantastic spots for brown bears, and sitka blk tails on the islands!!! :&gt

Drilling Man
Old 04-28-2004, 08:14 AM

DM,

We want to make sure our "friends" get in touch with nature, up close and personal!
Where ever the incidence of Brown Bear encounters runs the highest!
Any "problem bear" areas?

EKM

Quick Reply: A wolves truce?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.