Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 The one item you would not go without... >

The one item you would not go without...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The one item you would not go without...

Old 04-23-2004, 06:39 PM

Default The one item you would not go without...

Going to Montana for Elk this fall. We plan to go with bow. No guides. On our own (sorta, got a friend out there that may be going with us but we'll be camping out...)

My dad and Uncle (both going) have both hunted in Alaska and Canada several times.

All of us going have done extended hunting trips from tents. Several times just a sleeping bag and food and bit of plastic in case it rains.

My uncle has been to Montana several years ago for Elk.

As far as the usual Tents, sleeping bags, food, firearms/bows, etc. we pretty much have down pat from past experience.

But what is the one thing that someone that is hunting Montana for the first time may need/want that an "out of stater" may not think of??

Thanks,
Country Boy
Old 04-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The one item you would not go without...

I guess this is two things, but I wouldn't want to go into a new area without a good map of the area and a GPS!
Old 04-23-2004, 07:09 PM

A good map and compass ( and the knowledge of how to use them) are already in.

a GPS might be... I don't have one... YET.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

A small block and tackle to hang those quarters or boned out meat up in a tree to keep them out of harms way until you get it packed out. I won't go elk hunting again with out one.

A .22 pistol for those wonderful grouse around camp.

Field points for those wonderful grouse away from camp.

Map and compas / GPS.

Spike seasoning. This single can of seasoning tastes great on everything from burgers and steak to birds and fish.

LED head lamps with 3 or 4 bulbs instead of flash lights. They last way longer and weight almost nothing.

Flourescent lamps for the tent. Lamp and batteries are much smaller and lighter to carry than a propane lamp and bottles of propane. Unless you already have those really expensive and compact lamps.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:26 PM

toilet paper lmao
Old 04-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

I guess we could assume that you have a number of good elk bull and cow calls and know how to use them. If you don't then that is a very high priority for an elk hunter to have. ESP. THE COW CALLS. Don't leave home without one.

Robin.

Oh and a big jug of "bear spray" becuz when you get to callin elk sometimes somthing else comes sneaking in.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:33 AM

My vote for the "too often ignored or "left at home" item would be a cheap simple GPS ($100-150) and the computer hook up cable to a computer with Topo! software for Montana installed on it (leave the notebook computer in the truck at the trail head). Use the software to make your own custom map showing pre-designated waypoints of landmarks, trailheads, water, saddles, etc. BEFORE you ever go.

IMHO, no single item will give you more confidence and help you master your "never been here before" area better than GPS shy of a scouting trip and maybe not even then.
HOWEVER, get the TOPO! software for your home state and thoroughly master it's use in a local situation first on the highway and then in the filed BEFORE leaving -- this is critical.

Most the successful elk hunters I know navigate to their stands both ways in the dark and when you are a newbie in the area that is just asking for trouble unless you can GPS it. If the older experienced guys don't use this and you are all going to an area none of you have ever been to, AND you really know how to use it and you have it preprogrammed with relevant waypoints in addition to the ones you add as you go, and you have printed out maps for everyone in your team, then you will have something that will be a real personal contribution to your group and you'll feel much more like a player than a tag-a-long.

My $.02, choose what you please.

EKM
Old 04-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Country,

These guys have hit major points. Knowing that you can get around without being lost is a major comfort and you can spend your time looking for animals more than your back trail.

I don't use a gps myself, but i'm not saying its a bad thing. But if you do use gps's do yourself a favor if you already don't own one. Buy it earlier and play with it and get to know how to use it well at home. And like elkamp said have it preprogram for area your going into. When you get to your area do some waypoint checks at camp before you ever set foot in the mountains for hunting. We have so many hunters lost everyyear due batteries and mess up's on the gps settings.
I prefer the compass and a topo but that's the military in me.

Main thing I would get for the trip would be some high altitude sickness pills and bring lots of water on your trip. Beer is fine but it usually makes people from lower elevation really sick at times and ruins the whole trip. Stick with the water you'll have a better time getting up those hills.

Its a pain in the butt but keep your food away from your sleeping area atleast 50ft incase a bear visit your camp. If you kill then keep those bloody clothes away from where you sleep also. Just to be safe.

If you don't walk much I would start now mile or two a day will make a big difference in your mobility in the mountains. Stick to a game plan for the day and let your hunting partners know roughly where you maybe in the event of an accident.

hey goodluck and have the time of your life. bring back some pics
Old 04-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

FIRST AID KIT!! Good luck.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:40 PM

A go Topo map of the area hunting, compass, rope to tie the meat up in a tree!

Quick Reply: The one item you would not go without...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.