Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 The one item you would not go without... >

The one item you would not go without...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The one item you would not go without...

Old 04-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The one item you would not go without...

Toilet Paper AKA Mountain Money
Old 04-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

A first aid kit. Two pair of well used hunting boots. Lots of wool socks. I prefer the Smartwool brand of wool socks.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:08 AM

Speaking of wool socks - has anyone used the Merino type of wool for socks and or 1st layer? I hear it doesn't itch as bad. I use silk 1st under wool now but I was wondering if I could eliminate the silk layer for merino wool and avoid the over heats when the weather changes.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I started using the merino wool socks about three or four years ago. Now I will not wear any other type of sock while hunting. That wool is soooooo soft it is hard to believe that it is actually wool. No need for a liner sock any more to keep from iching. Definetly try them out this upcomong season. You won't be sorry. They hold up a lot better than the regular wool does too.

Believe it or not Wal-Mart has a really good selection of merino wool socks by Rocky, Woolrich and one endorsed Ducks Unlimited. They usually carry a light weight, medium weight and an expedition weight.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since you all covered of TP, footwear, hoisting devices, gps, maps, etc. One thing I learned the hardway that will never happen again, is giving the wife a kiss goodbye even if it is 4 am...hard to believe I know but the one time I slipped out of bed and headed up for a week of archery moose without kissin' the ms. was the most miserable trip I have ever been on and when I got home she was still stoked about my get away in the predawn darkness(of course this was before we had kids)

If you don't have a better half or significant other, any one of the other suggestions is good but if you do have one add this little item to your list. Side note a few flowers never hurts either
Old 04-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Poluke & bigbulls,
SmartWool socks are made from 100% pure Merino wool. Give them a try if you see them on the shelf. You will like them.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, I'll look for them next time I'm out shopping for hunting stuff.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

A knife and good boots!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wyoming Bone Saw - a neccessity

I also won't go out without a cig lighter and pine knot. Regardless of how bad the weather I can start a fire with that combo

I also am liking my little Stanley razor knif. Ultra light, ultra sharp, ultra handy

Also, lacing cord (12 ply waxed nylon cord)
Old 05-08-2004, 06:41 PM

i'd bring a whole lot of sandwiches and beer cause i ain't ever heard of anybody bringing down elk in montana this time of year! but seriously, i would bring a .22 pistol like someone else suggested and good army grade knife. good luck!

Quick Reply: The one item you would not go without...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.